new WT rule: no holding hands durning public prayer!

by leftchica 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• leftchica
    leftchica

So i just caught a glimpse of this new Wt magazine(study edition) of course.. from Dec 28th titled

"what do your prayers say about you"

so now they are focosing on every aspect of our lifes even our actions during prayer. When i was a witness my husband and I used to hold hands and somtimes he would even put his arm around me. I guess that is "stumbling" to many witnessess!?

so paragraph 19 is basically "changing the rules" or coming up with "new light" on this matter. I guess we have been praying "innappropiatly" all theese years! On holding hands it states ...."This might offend or distract some, including visitores who do not share our beliefs. Some marriage mates might discreetly hold hands but if they imbraced each other during public prarer, those who got a glimpse of such conduct might be stumbled. They might think or get the impression that the couple was focosing on their romantic relationship instead of Jehovah" ...Really? come on..this is CRAZY!!

Now whats even worse is the picture in the corner. It shows a group praying all with thier heads down and arms folded at sides or clutching the bible. No affection at all. I think if a "non believer" were to visit a hall for the first time the only impression that they might get is that we are cold and unaffectionate. Why cant we hold our child's hand or mate?

This is just another example of how the governing body controls witnesses and without them even realizing it. Show me in the bible where it says to not hold hands during prayer!! But many witnessess will abide by this new rule and see it fit for thier everyday lifes...more light from the governing body that is accepted with no questions asked.

amazing!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks for making sure we don't miss this.

We did have quite a discussion already: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/182453/1/New-Light-Dont-hold-hands-during-prayers

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

""This might offend or distract some, including visitores who do not share our beliefs. "

Total misdirection, it would be the elders and certain sensitive ones in the congregation who would have a problem with public displays of a affection during a prayer.

• boyzone
    boyzone

This to me demonstrates the WT's total oversensitivity to what others might think. I bet any visitors wouldn't give two hoots whether a couple are holding hands or putting an arm around a shoulder during a prayer but they might be surprised at the lack of contact generally displayed.

It all smacks of control control control, even in the smallest of details like how to stand during a prayer. For cryin' out loud, when will they just lay off and stop being so bloody patronizing?!!

• knows better
    knows better

how about the moronic doctrine? that won't stumble anyone.. huh..

what a joke.

don't hold hands and btw gods gonna kill you ..

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

doesnt say cant or dont hold hands.... talks about embracing.

regarding holding hands it says "some marriage mates MIGHT discreetly hold hands".....doesnt say we cant.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

those who got a glimpse of such conduct might be stumbled.

"Such conduct"! Give me a f*cking break! They make it sound like people are doing something scandelous. It's not as if people were squeezing each others asses or crotches in the kingdom hall.

W

• boyzone
    boyzone

Angel Eyes

doesnt say cant or dont hold hands.... talks about embracing.

So? How many couples do you really see in a full blown clinch during a prayer - if ever? Often I've seen a husband putting his arm around his wife's shoulder or waist during a prayer but thats it. After this WT, the brothers will be so oversensitive to how even this small gesture will be construed, that they'll probably hesitate to even do that!

regarding holding hands it says "some marriage mates MIGHT discreetly hold hands".....doesnt say we cant

What do you mean "doesn't say we can't"?? The Society shouldn't say anything! They haven't got the right to even comment on such a thing.

Like I said, its control, control, control, even on the pettiest of matters.

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

I have met many visiting individuals who were IMPRESSED by those who embrace, hold hands, etc during prayer.

They felt that it added to the "family" atmosphere that appears (on the surface of course)

They make it sound like couples are bumping and grinding during the prayer. Sure, they may be tempted to do that during one of those catchy kingdom songs, but certainly not during prayer......

I have NEVER ONCE in 37 years heard of someone complain about a married couple doing that during a prayer.

This is complete, utter nonsense. I cant wait to see what my wife says about that one.

It sounds like some single, bitter, bastard in the writing department has a bug up their arsch.................

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

i am going to make out with my wife next time, think that will be ok?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit