Are you scared to watch the news?

by wantstoleave 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

JimmyPage said:

If you do decide to read these books you'll discover they are not full of anger and hate as advertised... but actually come from loving, reasonable sources.

Jimmy is right, Hon. Besides, Steve Hassan's first book does not even mention Jehovah's Witnesses. It is far from "an apostate" book!!! He was never a Witness, he just talks about cults. An active Witness could read it and think it was so true! They would think "Cults are just awful, aren't they... so glad we have the "(T)ruth"!"

It is safe, I assure you.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

"The witlesses might be right."

This is built into the religion to scare people into going back into the cancer. You hear about a war, a "pandemic(??)" (which has to be the wimpiest pandemic I have ever seen) of swine flu, earthquakes, storms, crime, the economy, and the like--and that describes what the witlesses described as signs that the end is imminent. Then, you get a relatively quiet time--the economy is doing well, few storms or disasters, crime is down, relative peace, no disease epidemics. This sounds like "peace and security" is imminent, also describing signs that the end is imminent.

Now, what about the pandemic of Plague during the First Dark Ages? That makes our "pandemic(??)" of Wimp Flu seem downright wimpy--you had a 3 in 4 chance of dying from the plague. And there was more crime--even moats with crocodiles, heavy stone walls, and armed guards were no match for burglars (and they didn't have the technology to burgle places then as they do now). Highway robbery was expected. The economy was even worse than now--you were either a Lord and owned your Serfs, or a Serf. If you were a Serf, everything you did was what your Lord told you to, and they were usually pretty stingy with provisions for their Serfs (who were nothing more than property). And, if they got a storm or earthquake, a witch hunt added a second disaster to find who sinned to cause the first disaster (plus there was no news, meaning no relief).

And yet, all this happened more than 600 years ago. And, there was no sign of the final end--nor was the Renaissance, when peace and security actually happened (on a relative scale). Neither good times nor bad times brought upon the end of this system of things during the last 2000 years. Yet, the witlesses will tell you that relatively tame events of today are signs that the end is imminent.

It's all a scam.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I am NOT afraid to watch the news, in fact, I am moving to the middle east where a lot of it starts these days.Fun to see how the JWs in my life respond to it, though.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

The WTS publishing company has been exploiting events such as wars, famine, disease, lawlessness, earthquakes etc.

to help in the propagation of their literature which for decades created huge profits for the organization,

thats one of the reasons why the WTS is worth over billion in assets today, they lied and they still are lying to this day.

Sometimes you really aren't getting the real truth out of people , particulay when they are receiving power and money

from that supposed truth !

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Sacramento...I can't speak for other Jw's, perhaps some have also walked by a homeless person and given food, I don't know. I'd like to think it's something that humankind does, that their heart moves them to. You don't have to be sorry, I was just pointing out that not all witnesses behave in the 'typical fashion' and you're right, we all tend to generalise at times. You did not offend me my friend :)

Mouthy, don't worry, I haven't told the elders. I'm sure they'd have something to say about it, but after all, I'm just helping out people in need. They would have an argument on their hands if they tried to sway me. It's no different than being a recipient of church hampers. Eg, our community knows who is financially in need, and each year puts a list together and gives them a big hamper at xmas. Guess who has been on that list before? Yes, my family. And we gratefully accepted because we were hard up and the cupboards were bare. So to me, accepting the donation of food, or helping to put it all together is the same thing. I can hardly accept the food if I don't agree with how it's organised. I'll keep on walking Mouthy :) I'll make you proud.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Cawshun, I heard about that too, from my dad. What does everyone else think about it?

Thanks Jimmy and Baba for the info on that book....

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi WTL,

I read my wife some posts form this board. The main thing she remarks on is the grip of fear that the WT has placed over the JWs, fear of leaving, fear of Armageddon, fear of demons, fear of the Church, fear of the gifts of the Spirit (speaking in tongues largely), fear of not doing enough, fear or not being good enough etc.

John 8:30-36 (New International Version)

30 Even as he spoke, many put their faith in him.

The Children of Abraham
    31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

33 They answered him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?"

34 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Amen!

All the best,

Stephen

• I discovered

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit