What do you think about David Letterman now?

by asilentone 61 Replies latest social entertainment

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

What do you think about David Letterman now?

I think he is and always has been an insufferable ass. This was just an, "It figures." moment for me.

J

• glenster
  • lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Wasn't really impressed with him before. Past my bedtime.

But I don't care what he does, other than I feel bad for those he cause pain to.

lisa

• blondie
    blondie

I watch Craig Ferguson.

• winstonchurchill
    winstonchurchill

What's up with you people? Are you JW's? Judgmental and moralistic?

He's a great comedian, some like him, some don't. Ain't that how it's supposed to be?

He had sex, consensual sex, with a 25~30 yo coworker. They stopped, she started a new relationship, he got married to someone else. Where's the harm? Doesn't that happen all the time?

As Jeff pointed that's what 90% (I'd say 98%) of people within that industry do that. But I'll add a high percentage of the rest of the people do that. No big deal; it's their choice.

It wasn't a minor, it wasn't rape, after years the girl never claimed sexual harassment. Even after ending their relationship she kept working there for a while.

Don't like Letterman? Don't watch it.

Think 'fornication' (as in non-married sex) is wrong? Don't do it.

But stop judging, condemning and calling for punishment. The crook here was the guy trying to rack up $2MM via blackmail.

PS: Blondie is right. Ferguson is way funnier.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I don't think he was 'courageous' or anything like it - he got caught out, didn't want to have to address his 'issues' again and so he came clean on television. I think it was a smart PR move on his part, making himself the victim right from the start, so people would side with him - we got to hear his side right off the bat when he used his clout in the media to enlighten everyone.

He now has to deal with an angry and betrayed wife, some employees who might declare harassment or favouritism/workplace discrimination and a lifetime of image issues as his son grows up hear about his philandering and questions him about it. If he gets divorced, he stands to lose millions upon millions......silly man. sammieswife.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Winston - isn't the tally up to around 4 staffers now? You are right, consensual sex isn't wrong - he was living with his current wife for the majority of the time though and let's face it - sex with your young female staffers is open to a major discrimination and sexual harassment suit. Any guy on staff who didn't get a promotion at the same time a female underling who was sleeping with him did, will be questioning workplace discrimination issues. If a woman felt that she had to sleep with him to 'get' a promotion, then that's a form of sexual harrassment and intimidation by someone in power. His son is 5 years old, so if he had his affair right up to 2007, then he has his wife to deal with on that issue.....I don't watch the guy much but I think he's got a lot to sort out right now and it won't be easy....sammieswife.

• winstonchurchill
    winstonchurchill

Sammielee,

Agreed. My point is, let his wife decide, let his discrminated employees suit, let the courts decide. Not US the general public.

What I don't get is people making a connection between his show and comedy and his personal/public.

George Harrison was into wife swapping, Lennon was an anarchist, drug abuser, just like Paul: Still, I think they were the best band ever, enjoy their music, and dont think we should 'stamp-out' their records. Just like Jagger cheated on Bianca every 10 minutes, or Charlie Sheen -funny guy-, or Madonna... the list is long.

They are entertainers, not role models. Letterman, if a tad cynical, had a point when he asked "Are comedians going to be held to the same standards as elected officers and clergy?"

I'm not defending the guy; I'm just saying he's just a comedian. Nothing more.

• VIII
    VIII

He is a POS.

He was the boss. He created a toxic work environment. And it was Sexual Harrassment.

Like Polanski, many of you are sitting back, saying "Big deal. He's funny. It isn't my business."

What if it happened to your daughter or wife? What if your daughter or wife thought that her job depended upon having sex with the boss to keep her job or get a promotion? (As happens every f-ing day)

NOW, who no doubt agrees with all of Letterman's opinions, has put up a statement which pretty much sums up *my* position:

The Latest Letterman Controversy Raises Workplace Issues for Women

Statement of NOW President Terry O'Neill

October 6, 2009

Recent developments in the David Letterman extortion controversy have raised serious issues about the abuse of power leading to an inappropriate, if not hostile, workplace environment for women and employees. In the case of Letterman, he is a multi-million dollar host of one of the most popular late-night shows; in that role, he wields the ultimate authority as to who gets hired, who gets fired, who gets raises, who advances, and who does entry-level tasks among the Late Show employees. As "the boss," he is responsible for setting the tone for his entire workplace -- and he did that with sex. In any work environment, this places all employees -- including employees who happen to be women -- in an awkward, confusing and demoralizing situation.

Most women can attest to the fact that many workplaces are plagued with inappropriate behavior by men in power. The latest Letterman controversy sheds new light on the widespread objectification of women in the workplace.

We recently received a call from a man in Rockford, Ill., who wanted to get advice from NOW about what to tell his 16 year-old daughter who was confused by reports on the latest Letterman controversy. The father raised his daughter to be a feminist. He raised her to stand up for herself. He raised her not be objectified as a sexual object. She admits she is confused because the messages she sees on television and news reports appear to make it okay to objectify women as long as the man in power is famous. He can crack a few jokes and publicly apologize for his mistakes. It is this kind of hypocrisy that perpetuates the image of men in power preying on women, while many look the other way.

Every woman -- and every man -- deserves to work in a place where all employees are respected for their talents and skills. The National Organization for Women calls on CBS to recognize that Letterman's behavior creates a toxic environment and to take action immediately to rectify this situation. With just two women on CBS' Board of Directors, we're not holding our breath.

Link:

http://www.now.org/press/10-09/10-06.html

And, just because he was not *married* to Regina Lasko does not make what he did any less despicable. He was screwing every gal at work apparently. He was involved with her (Regina) for over 20 years. He has a child with her. While he had that child with her was when he was f-ing around with the gal that started this blackmailing attempt. So, he screwed around on the woman who was going to be his wife and is the mother of his son.

I guess the question Whopee can ask is "When is cheating, cheating? I mean, they weren't married so it's cool. No biggie." Like rape. It wasn't rape rape.

I hope he has a good explanation for his son someday.

I guess everyone who is dating someone would be cool if their partner/significant other started screwing the boss. Especially if it brought on a promotion.

Nice.

• beksbks
    beksbks

David Letterman or any other celebrity has zero to do with my life. As I've said here before, who in thier right mind looks to these people as some kind of role models? From what little I know of the Polanski situation, I think he's a disgusting old criminal. I know even less about this David Letterman business. Those who are involved will sort it out I'm sure.

NOW, who no doubt agrees with all of Letterman's opinions,

Apparently not

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit