Why Do people think they need A GOD to be good people?

by LucyA 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

"However, at least we can agree that the answer to the question in the Topic is:

Because no one (BORN AGAIN Christians excluded) can agree upon the definition of what is GOOD."

It does not follow that we need a God to agree on a definition on what is Good. The reason I say that is because no one can agree on who God is or what he wants. Some people's version of God wants human sacrifice, some want martyrdom, some want love and peace. Christians cannot decide on what is good even when they follow the same God and guidebook. For instance, the definition on fornication varies widely between one Christian denomination to the next.

• megs
    megs

So if I do what the BIBLE says and go out and kill a homosexual then I'm good, but if I abort an embryo that is just a multi-celled organism incapable of independent life, I'm bad. Perry, based on anything you've ever said, I think you're a bigoted ass. And since I'm anostic, you can just classify my behavior as unchristianlike, and showing a lack of morality.

• darthfader
    darthfader

Perry

Thanks for the response. You are still looking for an absolute "Right vs. Wrong". There are so many situations in life today cannot be corrected -- so we must enture them and attempt to work out reasonable resolutiuons.

With regard to "Rightness", what definition is correct? How do you choose your guide? Each persons culture is rooted in thousands of years of religious thought - who decides which group has the Truth?

Darth Fader

• Perry
    Perry
    so we must enture them and attempt to work out reasonable resolutiuons.

Darth,

There is no question that being reasonable is necessary. However, what is reasonable to one group is genocide to another group. In this country, babies can be carried to full term and have their little head pop out and legally get their skulls crushed by a reasonable abortionist.

When some legislators decided it was OK, many people followed their lead by reasoning that if was OK for the Supreme Court, its OK by me. People have what is "good" dictated to them all the time through various channels.

God hears those cries from those children:

Gen 4: 10 - And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground. And now art thou cursed

Mankind is clueless as to what is "good", myself included.

• darthfader
    darthfader

Perry,
    I think that all reasonable humans understand that we have basic human rights. So, anything regarding genocide is illegal and widely understood to be "bad". I’m not qualified to debate Abortion - I have my personal opinion, but it's just that, an opinion (and probably not all that informed)...

I still don’t understand how the bible can be the only source of "rightness". There are many historical/spiritual documents with "opinions" that can be used as references, but they are also incomplete in most cases.

I think, simply put, that to be good (in my definition) is to leave the world a better place when we came in.

I don’t need a God or Goddess to define how to be a good person - even if my attempts to help/lift humanity fail.

Darth Fader

• Perry
    Perry

I think, simply put, that to be good (in my definition) is to leave the world a better place when we came in.

And, who determines if you did or not?

See my point?

• darthfader
    darthfader

Those who remain.

• littlebird
    littlebird

Why Do people think they need A GOD to be good people?

Personally, I can see why this would frustrate someone, I get frustrated when people think a believer is unintelligent or weak. There are extremists on both sides.

As a former Missouri girl, I find no fault in what ALLTimejeff said about "show me" verses "tell me" My life should reflect what I profess to believe. If you're an atheist and believe in leaving the world a better place, then do it. Same for believers. We Christians are saved by grace. Nothing we can do can add to our salvation, so our motivation in doing the "right thing" is because its the "right thing", not because some mistakenly think we can gain extra brownie points to being saved by being extra good. I do believe he created humans with a basic set of right & wrong, but many things are not absolutes, thats why we have freedom in Christ.

Our worship of our God should be based on our belief that there is a God and we want to worship him. He has given us the free will to choose to worship him or not. Buy anyway, that's my opinion.

• Perry
    Perry

I think reasonable people want to do what is mostly good by general opinion. Of course, general opinion changes. And even if it didn't, reasonable people would certainly never want to be personally held to a standard that they demand of others. So, is anyone really reasonable after all?

There are two problems here: 1. What is good? and 2. How do I avoid punishment when I personally fail an ideal that I demand punishment of others for.

Only Christianity resolves these issues of goodness and culpability for all parties..

• MissingLink
    MissingLink
    Only Christianity resolves these issues of goodness and culpability for all parties..

Wow, you really do live in a sheltered little world. Poor, poor little man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit