Why Do people think they need A GOD to be good people?

by LucyA 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Perry
    Perry

Missing Link, You have a habit of posting ad hominems after my posts on a number of threads. It is a well known fact that people often do this when they feel threatened or they don't have a good argument. So, in an attempt to engage you constructively....

Do you have another alternative besides Christianity to the problems posed above?

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Sure, take your pick. I pick natural law. We know what's right instinctively just like animals do. But lots of different systems of laws seem to be the same (even those that pre-date christianity). Christianity isn't special in any way.

• Perry
    Perry

How does Natural Law determine what is good then?

• darthfader
    darthfader

Perry,
    Are you looking for some "perfect standard" with which to judge others? I don’t believe that such a standard or guide exists. I’m pretty sure that the Bible or any other religious text can’t completely/accurately serve as a list of what is right and what is wrong. So without there being a definite/complete guide as to the rightness or wrongness of any activity, how can any deity judge us to be “bad” or “good”?

If we need the existence of a god or goddess to stimulate us to do good works, wouldn’t that be false – performing good works only out of fear of judgment? Maybe it’s better for us to be the best, in absence of any deity, and be judged on our own merits.

Darth Fader

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I think my point was clear -- We know what's right instinctively just like animals do. Bad morals are not fit for survival so tend to get bred out of us (only to be dragged back in by religion). An obvious extreme example - even most animals will not kill their own kind.

• shamus100
    shamus100

I don't need god to be good. If you need god to be a good person then you are weak, and need god. He will help you.

More circular reasoning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit