Why Do people think they need A GOD to be good people?

by LucyA 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

*sigh*

I would rather someone be godly and good then to tell me about it. God doesn't speak through sermons and scriptures, of this I am sure.

Show me god, don't tell me about him.

• caliber
    caliber
    Show me god, don't tell me about him.

Give me suggestions then how I might go about showing you goodness on this printed page.. words are all we have here to show !

.. then you are saying this question should not have been asked because only actions can prove it ?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

No, please don't misunderstand me... My point is simple, I have seen good words, and for the most part, I trust the good people here as to their sincerity.

But for me, it will take more then words to get me to see or believe in god. Actions really do speak louder in this case.

(It has been said that goodness "is easier to recognize than to define". )
  • caliber
    caliber

In the end it's all about judgment calls.... when people say you're being judgmental... in our minds each of us makes judgment calls

But for me, it will take more then words to get me to see or believe in god

This is your judgment call.. why should I question it ? Why would I want to question it ?

What I find sad on this forum people are pressured to give reason for their personal beliefs and when they do

people seem to need to shoot them down.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

What does being good or living a good life have to do with God? Who told you that belief in God equates to being good?

Also, where does the Moral Law fit in? The entire notion of "being good" points to a standard that appears to be 'in' people. Where did that come from? And how does altruism fit in?

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

@ AllTimeJeff - please, humour me on this and pick up a copy of The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief by Francis S. Collins

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Interesting thread. I think it is a concept started by religious people as a means of fear and control. It creates fear of leaving a religion and fear of associating with athiests.

I feel that this concept says a lot about religious people. It indicates to me that they long to be immoral and do good out of fear of displeasing God, rather than good deeds being part of their personality.

• Perry
    Perry

About this idea of being "GOOD" .... Are you Good JWfacts? How many convicts feel the same as you?

I think it is a concept started by non-religious people as a means of control. It creates fear of leaving the self and fear of associating with God.

In a nut shell, this is why atheists clash with a Christian world-view. One of these views is upside down. They can't both be correct.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I believe in doing the right thing, just because it's the right thing to do.

lisa

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

About this idea of being "GOOD" .... Are you Good JWfacts? How many convicts feel the same a

I am not quite sure I know what you mean about convicts, or if you are alluding to my Tasmanian convict heritage.

Without you giving your definition of "Good" I can hardly answer that question. And your definition I doubt is your own, but rather a product of the religion/s that you belong to and were raised as.

Then again, I imagine you refer to the Scripture "no one is good but the father" in which case of course I am not good.

My life has changed little between when I was a JW and now in that my choices are based on not wishing to harm others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit