Why Do people think they need A GOD to be good people?

by LucyA 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

"Human animals"

Reductionism at its finest.

• Satanus
    Satanus

What is your problem w animals? Do they not also have a spirit? As well, scientists are discovering genes that code for social behavior in animals.

S

• passwordprotected
  • passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I should add;

What is your problem w animals?

I'm no expert, but this looks like a strawman.

• Perry
    Perry

Can all the secularists who claim that some people are good please at least offer a definition of "Good".

Does anyone have a problem with this definition:

Treating others the way you would like to be treated

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Does anyone have a problem with this definition:

Treating others the way you would like to be treated

Sado-masochists would readily agree...

• Perry
    Perry

Sado-masochists would readily agree...

And, abortionists would not.

I think this aptly illustrates the subjective nature of the word "good" as well as the need for God to provide not only the definition, but the ability to live a good life as well.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I think this aptly illustrates the subjective nature of the word "good" as well as the need for God to provide not only the definition, but the ability to live a good life as well.

Perry, if God ever chooses to communicate to all, once and for all, what is "good", then we certainly won't need you to speak for him.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Perry, if God ever chooses to communicate to all, once and for all, what is "good", then we certainly won't need you to speak for him.

Does the Moral Law communicate what is "good"?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

No one "NEEDS" God to help them to be good people and do the right thing, as a mater of fact, most "god fearing" people do the right thing NOT because it is right but because they "fear" God and want salvation, which is the absolut worng reason to do right.

I am nit really sure about the history of Judeo-Christian morals and if the whole notion of "being good for goodness sake" was arpound before that, but certainly most of the western civilization have taken their "good morals" from that tradition, no?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit