someone in my life used
    chickpea as a nick for me
    and i came across the fact,
    in the roman naming system
    of tria nomina, cicero was the
    family name of the great roman
    statesman marcus tillius cicero

cicero was a real player in the roman republic, intelligent
    passionate and dedicated to the preservation of the republic..

i dont necessarily agree with everything he espoused....
    however, i think his was a rational approach to interpretation of the world
    as it was shortly before the demarcation of that which was/is BCE/CE

i especially embrace his attitude of the role of citizens in politics

The natural law is also the source of all properly made human laws and communities. Because human beings share reason and the natural law, humanity as a whole can be thought of as a kind of community, and because each of us is part of a group of human beings with shared human laws, each of us is also part of a political community. This being the case, we have duties to each of these communities, and the Stoics recognized an obligation to take part in politics (so far as is possible) in order to discharge those duties. The Stoic enters politics not for public approval, wealth, or power (which are meaningless) but in order to improve the communities of which they are a part. If politics is painful, as it would often prove to be for Cicero, that's not important. What matters is that the virtuous life requires it. http://www.utm.edu/research/iep/c/cicero.htm#H3

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

PSacramento = Paulo Sacramento, my name.

yeah I know, I am such a rebel !!

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

All Time Jeff wasn't meant to put other Jeff's down (as AK Jeff and other Jeff's here show, there are better Jeff's then I)

It was basically a reminder to me that as I was leaving the borg, there will never be another me. I am the only Jeff I can be for all time. It's a play on words to remind me that I am valuable, and despite my weaknesses, no one can replace me, or ever be me.

The borg tried to take that from me, but I managed to somehow keep me, and leave a cult.

In short, my name isn't about what the borg did to me, but instead, it's about what they couldn't take from me.

• yknot
    yknot

Yknot..... I ask a lot of questions like 'why?' and 'why not?'.....

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    A lot of the JW's thought he was using WT pubs for his talks.

I thought so too at the time. I once wrote away for one of his brochures on Easter, and it was just the kind of stuff you'd find in a JW publication. I could almost swear I saw Herb use 1914 in one of his shows, but he used other Adventist dates like 1799 as well.

Yeah I was writing away to get literature from another religion because I was such a good little Witness.

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

angel eyes.... i love the song...........

• dissed
    dissed

Its Friday! Its time to bump - it up!

Just in case you missed the first time.

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

Well, as far as I know, I'm the only clarinetist on here... and if not, I'd love to meet him (or her... or ESPECIALLY young her )

• dissed
    dissed

The Clarinetest

And I thought you were a hit man for the mob. Rats! I had a job for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit