What's in a name?

by dissed 58 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

My nick combines the names of two leading characters from the Japanese anime based on the Osamu Tezuka manga; Leo is Kimba the white lion and Laia is his wife, Kitty grown up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5igi_sGXQI

I used to watch Kimba and Astroboy on TV when I was little, with a good dose of Godzilla and Mothra movies.

If anyone watches Japanese TV, I was a big fan of the Japanese dorama Ienakiko (the one with Yumi Adachi which aried with the title Angry Innocence where I lived) and I have been dying for yeeeeears to see it again. If anyone knows if it is on DVD or VCD in Japan or Singapore or wherever, I'd love to know. Just saying. :)

• dissed
    dissed

Baba Yaga

The in-laws are Russian from the old country. They said as kids, they were TERRIFIED of Baba Yaga. My wife loves the stories and like you feels there is always a message to be learned.

Her sister, still a JW won't talk about Baba because of the Demons. haha

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Juliet:
    "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Romeo and Juliet Act II, ii, 1-2

• Farkel
    Farkel

Farkel - surname of the Fabulous Farkel Family alliteration featured on Rowen & Martin's Laugh In; red curly hair, loads of freckles and all my children look exactly like the brunette guy who lives next door. All of his kids look exactly like me. Goldie Hawn was 18 years old at the time that show aired, which was around two or three thousand years ago.

Farkel

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Lillith- in Jewish tradition she was Adams first wife. 26- my age now........ had to add the 26 as there was a few Lilliths on here already when I joined..........

• dissed
    dissed

Big Tex

You CAN NOT have a JW background. No JW would know anything about Shakespeare.

• dissed
    dissed

Jookbeard - Okay I get that part. But my wife wants to know why the name for the teacher? What does it mean?

• Farkel
    Farkel

dissed,

:No JW would know anything about Shakespeare

Sure they do. They know all about having that pound of flesh known as their heart being violently ripped out by Shylock (the Governing Body).

(Merchant of Venice)

Farkel

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

But to my mind, though I am native here
    And to the manner born, it is a custom
    More honour'd in the breach than the observance.
    This heavy-headed revel east and west
    Makes us traduced and tax'd of other nations:
    They clepe us drunkards, and with swinish phrase
    Soil our addition; and indeed it takes
    From our achievements, though perform'd at height,
    The pith and marrow of our attribute.
    So, oft it chances in particular men,
    That for some vicious mole of nature in them,
    As, in their birth--wherein they are not guilty,
    Since nature cannot choose his origin--
    By the o'ergrowth of some complexion,
    Oft breaking down the pales and forts of reason,
    Or by some habit that too much o'er-leavens
    The form of plausive manners, that these men,
    Carrying, I say, the stamp of one defect,
    Being nature's livery, or fortune's star,--
    Their virtues else--be they as pure as grace,
    As infinite as man may undergo--
    Shall in the general censure take corruption
    From that particular fault: the dram of eale
    Doth all the noble substance of a doubt
    To his own scandal.

Angels and ministers of grace defend us!

Hamlet Act 1, Scene 4

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Dissed, bit of a long story, he had this kind of crappy beard that wouldn't grow very well ( he was a crap person as well) and some kid just yelled out "Jookbeard!" in a lesson , and it stayed . Farkle was that also featured in the MAD comic?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit