New to Halloween...What do YOU do?

by Bourne 64 Replies latest jw friends

• Bourne
    Bourne

I've never celebrated Halloween (too bad none of you live around here - Jacksonville FL), but for whatever reason, I have alot of good memories from the anticipation of the various holidays as a child (I'm originally from a state that actually had seasons), even though we as JW's did'nt participate. I still remember being at friends' houses, seeing them apparently happy and found myself wishing that I could have something to look forward too that was FUN and not just the Memorial (such a solemn occasion). I have swore to myself that when (and if) I ever have children that I will celebrate them (the holidays + birthdays) as would want them to have some of the memories that I was denied.

Am I making too much of this?

By the way...only 54 days until HALLOWEEN!!!

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

>> Am I making too much of this?

Not at all! We all want our kids to have a better life than we did. My kids love all the holiday stuff. And the fact that there is no religious mumbo-jumbo like sitting in church related to any of it is a bonus!

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Nothing, for it originated with the ancient Druids. Since they scarified humans during the festival,

why commemorate such a awful festival and why inundate and involve young impressionable children,

most of the time frightening them and feeding them junk candy that mostly gives them a stomachache

and tooth decay. A day to celebrate past human ignorances shouldn't hold any value with humanity today.

Not to say I don't enjoy a slice of warm pumpkin pie with a scoop of ice cream on top ,

but you don't have to celebrate Halloween to enjoy that.

• blondie
    blondie

We don't do jackolanterns since they don't last. We do put out pumpkins and other harvest stuff. You can get ceramic jackolanterns and put in those battery candles.

If you live in a neighborhood with a lot of kids, handing out candy is fun. We have about 60 kids in our area. We dress up in costumes and hand out candy.

If your area is mostly adults and you know some of them well, a party at home with theme goodies and costumes, and little prizes for the top 3 ones could be fun.

They do costumes where I work if you want to have prizes and take pictures of the participants and post them on the department website.

Some non-profit groups have parties which is a great way to meet people for a good cause.

Blondie

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

There are bunch of stupid festivals around the world that are celebrated annually , some with religious beliefs attached to them and some not ,

simply mark Halloween as just one of those stupid celebrations that one is forced to partake in.

• Bourne
    Bourne

I guess alot of it has to do with your individual perspective.

Halloween's origins does'nt bother me.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

The cool thing for us, is we got to make up traditions as we went along....keep some, toss some.

I had to try carving a pumpkin a few times. It's less messy to buy the plastic ones that plug in and light up.

Dressing up is fun, but I enjoy dressing the kids up more.

I get all the dark chocolate...kids don't like the dark chocolate.

lisa

• CandleSurgeon
    CandleSurgeon

This is my 3rd halloween since I've been out. I am 25 and me and a few of my adult friends are going to dress up and go to a party this year. I told them I have never done anything for halloween so they are going to do it with me :D I may even make a jack-o-lantern this year since I have never done one before and they look fun.

CS

• Bourne
    Bourne

Have fun, CS!

• dissed
    dissed

Halloween is pure fun.

My daughter celebrated her first one when she was 15. No longer going door-to-door for the GB, she made candy apples and delivered them on horse back, dressed as a princess to our neighbors. (we live in the country)

The next year, we had a barn party for all the neighborhood, kids and adults.

It now has become a tradition that all can't wait for. It must be my pre-JW druid background, because we REALLY get into this.

Two years ago, we started the "Burning Man" going. A life-like wooden statue set on fire, while we all roast marshmellows. No, we don't dance naked around the "Burning Man"......yet. haha

The Holidays are just some of the moments and memories, you can share with your children. Don't let the GB rob you of those special times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit