Did Jesus ever claim Messiahship?

by AK - Jeff 81 Replies latest watchtower bible

• snowbird
    snowbird
    How do I attach veracity to them with any seriousness?

I would venture with the same seriousness that you attach veracity to Mary Jo Weaver's words.

Unless, of course, you have more reason to believe Ms. Weaver.

Respectfully in kind.

Sylvia

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Watching with interest....

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Jeff,

I agree with your comments regarding 99% of Christians. However, you cannot understand how they know without having to become as historian or a scholar. The Holy Spirit comes and convicts the believer, see here

1 Corinthians 2:4-5 (New International Version)

4 My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, 5 so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.

See here where it talks about a "deep conviction"

1 Thessalonians 1:5 (New International Version)

5 because our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction.

Now alarm bells are likely sounding for you! You are probably thinking "I have see that 'conviction' in the JWs" but of course, it was false as everything else the JWs hold dear to is.

By the way, I think it is worth mentioning that "Christ" Christos is the Greek for the Hebrew "Messiah" Mashiach.

Anyhow, ask I mentioned in the other current "Messiah" thread, the question Jesus poses is to us all and still does Matthew 16:15 Mark 8:29 Luke 9:20

All the best,

Stephen

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Let me ask you this Jeff, what evidence would suffice for you?

Irrefutable. Not difficult to supply if you are God or his Begotten Son I imagine.

Jeff

• cantleave
    cantleave

How much of Jesus life was recorded c ontemporaneously? I am begining to feel that a great deal of the Gospels are retrospectively creating a legend, a myth to fit a developing religious paradigm.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    How much of Jesus life was recorded contemporaneously? I am begining to feel that a great deal of the Gospels are retrospectively creating a legend, a myth to fit a developing religious paradigm.

Yup! Under the guise that "their memories were directed by holy spirit." Which of course, doesn't account for the contradictions found in the gospels...

• cantleave
    cantleave

AKJ that sounds like a familiar story..............................Ohh Yeah GB WTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

Holy Spirit has to do the convicting. It did for me.

1 Corinthians 12: 1 -3 What I want to talk about now is the various ways God's Spirit gets worked into our lives. This is complex and often mis-understood, but I want you to be informed and knowledgeable. Remember how you were when you didn't know God, led from one phony god to another, never knowing what you were doing, just doing it because everybody else did it? It's different in this life. God wants us to use our intelligence, to seek to understand as well as we can. For instance, by using your heads, you know perfectly well that the Spirit of God would never prompt anyone to say "Jesus be damned!" Nor would anyone be inclined to say "Jesus is Master!" without the insight of the Holy Spirit. MSG

And, it's free for the asking!

Sylvia

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Snowbird, how do you account for the hundreds of thousands ( I am assuming) or even more who have asked for that holy spirit and got nothing?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Jeff,

Define irrefutable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit