Why are witnessess persecuted?

by YoYoMama 47 Replies latest jw friends

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama

Why are Witnessess persecuted? Most religions out there have this thing against Witnesses. Many will do anything to get them banned or to shut their mouths. Even in news articles, if someone did something and they are JWs, it will be mentioned. If they were members of any other religion, no mention of their affiliations are made. Why is that?

• Seeker
    Seeker

First of all, it's not true. A persons religion can be mentioned even if they are not JWs.

Secondly, the reason people want to shut their mouths is because they are perceived as rude. After all, they are coming to your house with a message that boils down to, "Do what we say or God will kill you." That's not going to win any popularity contests.

As for persecutions, many religions are persecuted. You think you are the only religion being acted against in France or Russia? Think again.

For the most part, people never even think about JWs, let alone notice them.

• metatron
    metatron

Because most zealous Witlesses are collectively self righteous
    and arrogant. Because they are severely judgemental. Because
    they break up families and encourage the attitude that formerly
    loved relatives are now just "worldly people" worthy of destruction.
    Because they are willfully ignorant in allowing their children
    to die without blood transfusions. Because they discourage getting
    a higher education (STILL!). Because they misquote, lie and deceive
    in their publications. Because their leadership does little or nothing
    about corrupt elders and child sexual abuse. Because they shun
    and discourage charity.

is that enough?

metatron

• Room 215
    Room 215

YoYoMama,

Oh, I don't know...... do you think it might have something to do with the cumulative effects of years of intemperate baiting, name-calling and vilification of every religion but their own, their broad-brush tarring of all Christmendom as morally degenerate, their stubborn refusal to see the good in anyone but themselves?

So, you're astonished when these folks react with something less than equanimity to the provokation being called wicked, impugned incessantly? How do you react when someone insults and ridicules you without let-up?

In my experience most people react to Jehovah's witnesses with bemused indiffernce, a shrurg of the shoulder.

• cornish
    cornish

Jehovah's Witnesses are one of masses of religion that jump on the old were persecuted bandwagon,Jehovahs Witnesses do a fine job at persecuting those who use their freedom of speech whithin the religion itself.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Question: Why are the witnesses persecuted?

Answer: Because they want to be. They set themselves aside as being better than everybody else. They want themselves to look more important than they really are. So because they set themselves up on a pedestal, they get what they are asking for.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Jeremy's Hate Mail Hall Of Fame.
    http://hometown.aol.com/onjehovahside/ and [email protected]

• Gozz
    Gozz

Why are Witnessess persecuted?

******Witnesses have redefined persecution. Anyone not agreeing with them is a persecutor.

Most religions out there have this thing against Witnesses.

******Witnesses have everything against all other religions. Imagine trying to tell everyone else that you're right, and they're wrong. And you tell them to their face. I'm calling to mind a particularly provocative article in either Awake! or the Watchtower; it was entitled 'One Religion will Survive', or something like that. Witnesses make themselves an easy target.

Many will do anything to get them banned or to shut their mouths.

******The better. They speak shocking things, cause friction and make others uncomfortable wherever they are. Plus, they are always right.

Even in news articles, if someone did something and they are JWs, it will be mentioned. If they were members of any other religion, no mention of their affiliations are made.

******And rightly so. Witnesses wear the badge of holiness like the mark of Cain. They would tell everyone how well they uphold bible standars and keep their congregations clean. They place themselves on a pedestal, like a city on a hill. You can't claim so much and dislike being held up to the same scrutiny.

• battman
    battman

Boring, very boring.

Seeker said:
    <For the most part, people never even think about JWs, let alone notice them.>

Room 215 also had a similar thought on this same thread.

I just posted some similar thoughts. Now that I have "worldly" contacts I am
    just amazed at the number of people who have never even heard of the Dub's
    much less know what they believe in.

I think persecution is somewhat a matter of perspective of who and where we are.
    As a "divorced" man I am persecuted by the Dub's themselves. If I was to travel
    to Taliban territory and try to teach "Christianity" of any brand I would be very
    persecuted. Read about the two hostages recently, huh? IMHO I think to boils
    down to "being a victim". Act like a victim and someone surely will treat you like
    one.

You sound like you want to be "jumped on" with your unimformed, trite and "wanna"
    be attitudes so don't be too put out by mine and other reactions. I have been where
    you are. I don't feel I am a better person than you, just at a different juncture in my life
    which you too will experience whether in or out of the boring, insipid, generic BORG.

love to you and everyone else on this DB.

battman

• Tina
    Tina

Witnesses need to feel they are persecuted,even when not because it's part of the group dynamic. Nothing more cohesive to any group than perceiving/identifying an 'enemy' that persecutes you.

It unites them in the sense they have a 'specialness'. After all they are told over and over that they'' will be persecuted for righteousness sake'.
    Nothing like a collective persecution complex reinforced from time to time to give the group some impetus!

It reinforces the self-righteous attitude they display. It also serves to 'objectify' all non believers. That they are not worth the human courtesies ,responsibilities,respect,and real human feelings accorded to those amongst their own(and even sadly lacking amongst themselves as well).T

Vive Bene
    Spesso L'amore
    Di Risata Molto!!!

• CPiolo
    CPiolo

YoYoMama:

Why are Witnessess persecuted?
    The same reason Catholics, Muslims, Jews, Methodists, Calvinists, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, etc. People are afraid of the unfamiliar. There isn't a religion on earth that can't make this claim. Sure some religions are persecuted more than others, but JWs certainly aren't more persecuted than many other religions. I think Jews have, in recent history, been far more persecuted than JWs. Right now there is probably much more anti-Mustlim sentiment in the western world than anti-JW.

As far as most religions having a thing against the Witnesses, I don't believe they have any more of a thing against Witnesses than they do against any other competing group. Most religions tend to believe they have the "Truth" or that their version of "Truth" is better or more accurate. Any others tend to viewed as inferior or having a lesser version of "Truth." Sound familiear?

I think JWs religious affiliation is often mentioned, because to most people who are not a part of the group, they are viewed as an oddity. They are those strange, but well dressed people that come to your door every so often preaching doom and gloom, who let members die when medical help is available, who refuse to participate in what most view as harmless activities, and who condemn traditions and practices many hold dear.

Most people have absolutely no conception of much of Witnesses believe. Some people who are old enough (like myself) remember things like their prediction about the world ending in 1975. That's more than enough for many to view Wit nesses as out to lunch religiously.

I know people who work with Witnesses or have Witness acquaintaces. None of these people have any animosity towards the Witness apart from those I know who are non-Witnesses, who were formerly married to a Witness and have issues about child rearing and custody issues during holidays.

I think the perception Witnesses have of being persecuted is overblown and exagerated by the organization. If anything, it's diminishing in many places. It's a good tool to draw people together and unite them in a common cause with a common enemy. This is clearly evidenced by the recent tragic events of Sept. 11th that have drawn together not only the U.S., but also much of the world, if even reluctantly.

What many fight the Witnesses over is what are regarded as human rights issues, i.e. the blood issue and the methods used to enforce compliance --shunning.

Oh, and I still want to reply to your latest post in the Spanish thread, I just haven't had much time the last few days, Been busy with family activities and work around the house.

¡Que te vaya bién!

CPiolo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit