A Question Ex-Jws and Atheist On This Site

by Blue Grass 79 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass

I have a question for the regulars on this site which are mainly ex- jws and atheist. My first question is just for the atheist. Why do you guys spend so much time discussing and researching a book you believe to be fiction? Wouldn't it make more sense to devote your time to discussing things you believe in rather than a fairy tale? And for the ex- jws (which technically includes atheist) why are you guys coming to a site on a daily/weekly basis to discuss an organization that you are no longer a part of? It seems like a lot of you guys can't move on with the rest of your lives and have nothing better to do than criticize a book you claim to be fiction (but yet can't stop giving it so much attention to) and criticizing a group of people who probably forgot you exists. To be blunt, this site is composed of losers who are bitter and have no way of channeling their anger so they just b !# ch , whine, and complain about Witnesses and the bible. I suggest you all find something more productive to do with your time, because coming online everyday b !& ching about your past experiences and verses in the Bible you don't understand is getting really old, really fast.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    To be blunt, this site is composed of losers who are bitter and have no way of channeling their anger so they just b!#ch, whine, and complain about Witnesses and the bible. I suggest you all find something more
    productive to do with your time, because coming online everyday b!&ching about your past experiences and verses in the Bible you don't understand is getting really old, really fast.

• journey-on
    journey-on

To be blunt, your observation and questions have been discussed ad nauseam. Welcome anyway. I'm not an atheist, but I am an ex-JW. I just like coming here and hanging out with some interesting and pretty cool people who share a common background. I have moved on with my life and am happy, not bitter nor angry. It's an ex-JW thang....you wouldn't understand.

• zarco
    zarco

Why do you guys spend so much time discussing and researching a book you believe to be fiction? Wouldn't it make more sense to devote your time to discussing things you believe in rather than a fairy tale?

The study of literature and history are rewarding pursuits for most. For most college students a study of western civilization is required. Atheist or not, the bible has had a profound influence on the world in which we live. Refusing to spend time studying the bible would limit ones understanding of humanity. The confluence of spirituality, the arts and sciences is where it is at, in my humble opinion.

Fading and ex-Witnesses hang around because we have been through a unique experience. Most have had the very foundations of our belief and social systems torn to pieces. That trauma is tough enough without some sort of support or at least shared experiences. For some, the experience of leaving the Witnesses may cause them to experience self-doubt and a reticence to trust any authority. Realizing that others have gone through the transition can make the healing and rebuilding processes go more smoothly.

An finally, there are many intelligent people on the board. And for me, my education with regard to religious history and the history of the Witnesses has been greatly enhanced from being a part.

Best,

zarco

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

...and the last shall be first.

I suggest you all find something more productive to do with your time, because coming online everyday b !& ching about your past experiences and verses in the Bible you don't understand is getting really old, really fast.

Really? Old for who. You? I don't care what you think..... I could care less if a bunch of ex JW's b !& ching ticks you off or not.

To be blunt, this site is composed of losers who are bitter and have no way of channeling their anger so they just b!#ch, whine, and complain about Witnesses and the bible.

So lets see, I was a Gilead grad, almost killed twice, returned to the United States with nothing, and in 3 years, I divorced my toxic ex, got a new job, a promotion shortly after, got remarried, bought a house last year during the housing crisis, and you have the balls to call me a loser?

So many here have left, and have shown such strength in doing so, that it would boggle your narrow mind, if you cared to open it, along with your heart.

As far as atheists, I am not an atheist, but I view atheists a little differently. In many ways, they are refreshingly more spiritual then those who must cling to a closed and narrow minded view of the bible. They are honest. If they use the bible, its only because they do so to show how easy it is to be used against itself. It is important that they do so, so that politically, the Bush II's and Dobsons of the world don't run roughshod with their ancient worldviews they wish to impose on a modern society.

In a way, I understand what you mean, because at the surface, there is a lot of angst here. I was "above it all" when I first left. I didn't understand the anger here. And yeah, I don't think all of its healthy. But it is honest. I personally have benefitted by being able to write, and blog, and communicate, and even argue and debate. Did I win? Did it matter? I learn more about me when I argue. Should others agree or not isn't really the point.

I accept my ex JW brothers and sisters, and that includes you. Perhaps one day, you will mature, and you will understand. But honestly, it doesn't matter to me if you do or not. And it won't bother me either.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

If it is getting "really old, really fast", then maybe you shouldn't be on here reading this "poisonous venom" that seems so prevalent to you on this site....my guess is that you have been lurking for quite a while. That would definitely be frowned upon by the BOE...

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Blue Grass,

I'm really happy for you if you aren't able to understand the kind of bitterness and angst one feels from having their entire social network ripped out from under them. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Its a lonely existence. Who wouldn't complain about how a self serving corporation managed to turn all your own friends and family against you, just because you didn't believe or do everything they expected of you?

IMHO, this site is for such people to reach out to each other, sympathize and offer support and encouragement to heal and to move on. I'm alot less bitter recently then when I first started posting here. Although I still have my crabby moments ;)

As for why I personally like to discuss the Bible, I'm fascinated with studying mythology and comparing religions. I think that learning about spirituality and what different groups of people feel is involved with that, can teach us alot of about the human condition, its fears and aspirations, as well as both the dark and more promising aspects to our nature.

To be blunt, this site is composed of losers who are bitter and have no way of channeling their anger so they just b!#ch, whine, and complain about Witnesses and the bible

Blue ass,

With all due respect, it is theists like you that are the true losers; your brain is owned by someone else and you're too weak to break the chains of mental bondage that enslave your sorry soul.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Wouldn't it make more sense to devote your time to discussing things you believe in rather than a fairy tale?

Do you think that posting on this forum is all we do with our lives?

Wouldn't it make more sense to devote your time to discussing things you believe in rather than a fairy tale?

I try, but my family hasn't gotten used to the idea that I am not going to join them in La La Land. They are forever trying to make false accusations against my character so that they can feel justified in not answering my questions. They need to get over it. When they stop pushing their lies in my face, we can get on with having normal family relationships and civilised discussions about things of real value.

I hope that helps you understand, Blue Grass.

Cheers

Chris

• inkling
    inkling

My first question is just for the atheist.

Yeah, he's around here somewhere...
    "HEY! Has anyone seen the Atheist? Someone is here to see him!"

[inkling]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit