NWT - Accurately translated bible rumor

by Girlie 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Girlie
    Girlie

Has anyone on here heard of this rumor or even know if this is true? Supposedly, on an episode of Jeopardy, one of the questions asked was which version of the bible was considered the most accurately translated from the original hebrew and greek text and the answer was the New World Translation. I tried looking this up online to no avail. The sadder part of this is that I have heard "friends" comment at the meetings on this rumor as an actual truth. I suppose any good line of speculation is good enough for the WTS. Was just wondering if anyone have heard of this.

• sir82
    sir82

Yet another JW urban legend.

The reason you can't find anything on it is that it never happened.

• Honesty
    Honesty

It's an urban legend.

JW's are great at spinning them if they think it will make their cult look like a legitimate denomination of Christianity.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

There was a website that went as far as to write the Jeopary people and they mailed them back saying that never happend, there is also a website that every single question ever asked on Jeopardy in all its season, that question/answer is NOT there.

I have a copy of that letter that I saved, if anyone can host it I can send it to them.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

ya mean JW's quote non existant factoids? I'm so utterly shocked

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

If it had happend I guarantee that the episode in question would be part of every bible study !

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

It is hard to fathom that Jeopardy would ever give such an answer.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The WT does show up as a few answers to questions, typically, what is another name for JW's and things like that, but no mention of the NWT.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Guys, it's not an urban legend. I saw the episode. They asked about most accurate translation, the answer was NWT. Apparently they based that on a review of Bibles done by Jason BeDuhn.

Google TRUTH IN TRANSLATION: ACCURACY AND BIAS IN ENGLISH TRANSLATIONS OF THE NEW TESTAMENT

• Girlie
    Girlie

Ok. I have seen that this question was asked on here before. I remember getting the email about this and it did mention the name of a Dr. Jason BeDuhn and how he compared the NWT with 8 other bible translations and supposedly gave praise to the NWT as being the most accurate. Yet, he is one out of many who would say otherwise....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit