I'm reading the Bible cover to cover...

by homeschool 85 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Narkissos,

LOL !
    Gotta love Nietzsche and his world views !

In one way he did get it 100% right, the God of the NT is very personal in his relationship with us, even to the most "insignificant" parts.

Of course in the end, its the little things that count...of course Fred would probaly argue with that too !

• Dagney
    Dagney

"In one way he did get it 100% right, the God of the NT is very personal in his relationship with us, even to the most "insignificant" parts."

I enjoyed that aspect also in the beginning. That interface was truly appealing. I also thought that god had to "get to know" humans, and there was a learning curve.

I also realize that trying to make "anytime history" gel with modern day eyes leads to confusion. It is difficult for me to understand the brutality of history, but it is what it is. But what is more difficult for me is understand a god that "loves" man so much that he allows it and condones it. I would rather believe that such a god doesn't exist at this time.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

God loves us in SPITE of what we do, not because of it, its God's gift of Grace to Us.

Even though Jesus walked with us, saw the wors of Us, was torutured and die because of Us, he was still willing to go through all that because he believed we we worth it and wanted US to believe it too.

We deserve better than what we do to each other. much better, that was one of Jesus's messages.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

When I was a young lad going to the hall with my parents, I daydreamed a lot. When I got bored with that, I sometimes opened up the Bible and started reading. I would get quite engrossed in some of the stories like the Exodus or King David's exploits. Of the NT books, I found the Gospel according to John to be interesting and seemingly more refined that the other gospels. I have read the Bible cover to cover, but there are parts that are a chore to get through. I have a JPS Tanakh (Jewish Bible) that I keep intending to read. I like the rendering it gives better than the NWT. As far as New Testament Bible translations are concerned, I'm not sure which one would be superior in readability to the NWT.

• thomas15
    thomas15

homeschool,

I'm with Chalam on this one. I think that you would get bogged down reading cover to cover. Some of the information regarding the divided kingdom (1&2 Chron, 1&2 Kings) repeat the historical information but from different prespectives (Israel/Judah). This makes it confusing to the reader who is not up on this and or does not have an appreciation for how God is working in the Nation of Israel. This is not intended to be an insult in any way. I do recommend reading the Bible cover to cover but breaking it up some New Testament here, some Old Testament there.

I read the Bible cover to cover last year and intend to do it again. It is though difficult to keep going unless you love God's word, which I do. I also agree with Chalam on using an alternative translation. Reading the Bible is a huge commitment of time and the NWT is so biased in favor of WT theology. There are so many good translations of the Bible in English and I'm sure you could use differences in the NWT and others to stimulate conversation with your sister that might cause her to question the motives of the WT and the NWT. Chalam makes some good recommendations of translations, another good one is the New Living Translation. But I would go with the NIV personally.

Take care,

Tom

• homeschool
    homeschool

Hmmmm, lots to think about.

God loves us in SPITE of what we do, not because of it, its God's gift of Grace to Us. I like this concept. Oompa, you didnt like the video? SHEESH!

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello HS,

The WT hates the concept of grace so much that they removed the word from the NWT. You will likely come across these before too long but here's a heads up!

Ephesians 2:8-9 (New International Version)

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

Romans 5:15 (New International Version)

15 But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God's grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many!

All the best, Stephen

• homeschool
    homeschool

Not sure if there's another thread like this on here....but a list of all the differences between the NWT and other bibles would be awesome. Those are some great examples, Chalam. BTW...I sent you a message on Facebook

I didn't know any of that.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

In case you haven't seen this: http://www.blueletterbible.org/

You can type in any scripture and then compare it with several different versions of the bible. For your next bible study with your sister, y'all should do comparisons of Ezekiel 23:20. What exactly is god telling us here?

• Chalam
    Chalam

Here's another to compare versions. You can see them all on the screen at the same time if you choose click the "parallel" button.

Biblos.com: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages

Try John 1:1 for example :)

All the best,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit