I'm reading the Bible cover to cover...

by homeschool 85 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

If you haven't done so, I recommend getting a copy of Richard Friedman's Who Wrote the Bible? It will really help you make sense of the way the OT was written.

• homeschool
    homeschool

I will do that today! Thank you, Primate. Can you give me a clue though? I'm DYING TO KNOW! I am. For real....who wrote the Bible/OT? I know I appear to 'sound' sarcastic, but I'm not this time.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I can give you a clue, but I won't go in depth. That would take a book! One thing's for sure, Moses did not write the first five books of the Bible. There is a lot of information right there in the text of the Bible itself, but unless you are a scholar, you will go right over it without a second thought. For example, why do some stories get told two or three times with minor variations? Why is it that God reveals His name (Yahweh/Jehovah) at the burning bush when the writer(s) have been calling Him Yahweh/Jehovah all along? The book Who Wrote the Bible? has all the answers that the Watchtower doesn't want you to know.

• homeschool
    homeschool

Matter of Factly, I DID wonder why they were redundant in some of the stories.....it was like the same sentence put in a different way, just 4 verses later. I just ordered that book online...thanks Primate!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

If the writers of the OT and the followers of the Old Convenant had gotten it right, there would have been NO NEED for Jesus to come arounf and no need for the New Convenant.

This may be controversial but I would suggest that if you wanna study the word of God, focus on the NT.

• homeschool
    homeschool

Are you saying the OT is not the word of god, PSAC? I am VERY ignorant with this...sorry for my silly questions. Why is the OT in the Bible then?

• Heaven
    Heaven

homeschool... it's a good idea so you know exactly what's in it. I find a lot of JWs don't know. I have begun doing the same thing however my time is very limited. I'm still in Genesis and a few thoughts struck me odd -- like adultery was sanctioned?!! OOOOkkkkk... whatever ... . Also, if God had created a perfect paradise, why did he only create one human off the top? Why did Adam have to get lonely for God to realize he should have created a mate for Adam too? (like, Duh!)

The overall thought that has already come to my mind is "This whole thing... this human/Earth/creation thing... is a work in progress. This God guy didn't know how things were going to turn out anymore than we did! I am seeing adjustments from the get go. Interesting."

PrimateDave... thank you for the book reference. I will add it to my list. I've always wondered and been highly suspicious as to why there were no books written by women.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

homeschool,

My view of the OT is very controversial, so take it with a grain of salt.

I believe that the OT was insipred by God, but that the writers inspiration took a back seat to their willingness to justify horrid things by saying it was God's will or something along those lines.

The OT hebrews cloaked themselves in numerous laws and rituals to "hide" thier lack of faith in YHWH.

The OT was ancient man's way to try to understand God and what HE viewd as God's will in the only way they could, by what made sense to them, that is why we do see horrid acts being condoned ( or commited) by God, because, in the view of the writers, these things happend ( many times the Hebrews did them) and God "allowed" them to happen, so they are "OK" with God.

Many times there were stories that we passed on by the generations, borrowed, from their neighbours, that the writers put their "spin" on it to suit them and to make them their own ( or vice-versa if you choose to believe that it was their neighbours that borrowed from the hebrews).

The OT was ancient man's attempt at finding the word of God and the old covenant was ancient man's attempt at keeping what HE though God wanted.

The NT is the word of God as passed down by his only Son and the New Covenant is "his work in progress".

• homeschool
    homeschool

just wanted to bump this one up so you could check out the video...its pretty stinkin funny.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

You're right Homeschool...it was pretty stinkin funny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit