I'm reading the Bible cover to cover...

by homeschool 85 Replies latest watchtower bible

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Hey, glad to see ya reading the bible(ha ha). One gets a totally different perspective on the bible when fear of displeasing an angry Deity is dismissed. Ones eyes open to the cruelty of the Deity, as one no longer fears to be rational in even in their estimation of him,,they no longer force themselves to erase from their minds the notion that god doesn't always act loving,,or feel guilty from the boast of a all powerful god to never question or challenge him in any way.

Once one looses fear of the Biblical Deity, he can read the bible more intelligently he can notice more things with out the guilt factor. The more easily it is to see things more clearly. Godly fear has a way of keeping people in ignorance.

• beksbks
    beksbks

That's so cool!! I've read the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy three times!!

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi HS,

Well glad you found the birthday party! Another nail in the coffin of the "traditions of men" known as the JW religion.

Am I supposed to find a different book of the bible to start at?

Now as you know I am a a bible believer. I would definitely suggest not reading cover to cover, at least from front to back cover! I would go right for the new testament" as that is the one we are concerned with since Jesus came.

What version are you reading BTW? Hopefully not the NWT?! Personally I don't think it deserves the title "bible" or the description "holy scriptures".

Here's an alternative and a good place to start.

Book of John

Happy reading :)

All the best,

Stephen

• Dagney
    Dagney

homeschool, reading the OT on my own was a major factor in my downfall.

I didn't know what to do with myself not having to go to meetings. So I decided to use that time in research of things I never had time for with the JW schedule, and also began reading the NT without the JW dogma...enjoyed it immensely. Felt all warm and fuzzy and "Jesus-y."

Then came digging into the OT. Just reading it, researching to understand what I was reading, learning the timelines, etc...left me not liking god at all. I was even upset, with no one to talk to about it...I wasn't on DB's, my best friend wasn't out yet.

I too read Friedman's book, and that was it for me. It answered so many questions that were coming from my reading, and also the many niggles I carried deep inside for sooooo many years.

All the best you, and I wish you strength for the journey. You are doing the right thing.

• homeschool
    homeschool

Well, ebay just sent me a confirmation saying the book Primate recommended is on its way. Thanks for the thumbs-up, Dagney

Chalam, yes, I am reading the NWT . I am trying to build rapport & trust with my sis (although we already have a good bond). I'm trying not to ruffle too many feathers at this point. She's a diehard JW and would probably put her guard up if I said I wanted to read an alternate translation. Is it really THAT different?

frankiespeakin...I hear ya. I'm looking with a whole different perspective. Of course, I've never actually read the Bible....I used to have a very hard time even preparing for meetings. So this truly is a new experience.

I don't want to totally knock Christianity at this point. In fact, I went to a Methodist Church yesterday and got a bit teary eyed about 4 times during the service. People weren't love bombing me or anything...it was just a really weird feeling of true warmth. My husband said "I don't get it. You dont even believe in the Bible. Why'd you get emotional??" Believe it or not, even us non-christians appreciate true feeling and love and acceptance. I'm not sure where I'll end up on this journey. I may decide Jesus was just a man who is part of the 'truth', like Buddha. Who knows. At this point, I just think god is a meany-head in Genesis & that video that was posted here keeps crackin' me up

• Dagney
    Dagney

I look forward to seeing your video when I get home.

Honestly, even though I am unsure exactly what I believe about what, I get a rush of emotion from time to time with certain things. I'm pretty mad at god, but some things strike me where it is soft...and I never know when.

The NWT is fine, if your motive is to be on a common ground with your sister. It is a very literal translation, and hard to understand, for me anyway. Friedman's book helps with that. The New Jerusalem Bible is a much easier bible to read with it's footnotes, timeslines and prologues.

God is a meany-head. Life is very cheap to him. Unless you are chosen, of course. Thank Jah we weren't born Canaanite!!!

• oompa
    oompa

Homeschool....you can really speed up reading the bible cover to cover......

1. go to the middle of psalms....

2. fold the bible completely backwards until both covers touch and are flat against each other

3. slowly open the bible now.........and read aloud the words within............"New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures".......now you are done.........oompa

• homeschool
    homeschool

yeah, yeah, yeah Oomps . Ya watch the video yet?

• Lucky Calamity
    Lucky Calamity

When you're finished reading, it will make excellent toilet paper.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> I'm reading the Bible cover to cover...

Sorry, but that will turn out to be a phenomenal waste of time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit