Is this really smoking gun of Obama's Kenyan birth?

by What-A-Coincidence 165 Replies latest social current

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

The intent of this clause was clear at the time. Many of our founding fathers were not born in the Colonies, but in England. They wanted to make sure that future Presidents had to be born on US soil. That was their intent and that is why they used the term "natural born."

"This understanding may have been reflected in the first naturalization act of 1790 "An Act to Establish a Uniform Rule of Naturalization," which provided "the children of citizens of the United States, that may be born beyond sea, or out of the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born citizens. " Because the First Congress passed this act, it arguably reflects the original understanding of "natural born citizen " as encompassing those born of the citizen-sovereigns on foreign soil. On this interpretation, John McCain would be a natural born citizen of the United States (at least for the purposes of eligibility for the presidency) because the original meaning of that phrase includes all persons born to American citizens."

Copyright (c) 2008 Michigan Law Review
    Michigan Law Review First Impressions
    September 2008
    107 Mich. L. Rev. First Impressions 22 COMMENTARIES: ORIGINALISM AND THE NATURAL BORN CITIZEN CLAUSE

NAME: Lawrence B. Solum* +

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

How Republicans feel about Obama being President:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bic3LXP3LQs&feature=related

• beksbks
    beksbks

Well where's the damn baba to make them shut up????

• BizzyBee
  • purplesofa
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> How Republicans feel about Obama being President

Wow! It's uncanny!

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Anti-intellectualism. Think about it. It is a lynchpin of the right-wing. Think about it. Anti: against. Intellectualism: thinking, intellect, intelligence. Think about it.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Obama knows he is an illegal...if he wasn't he'd pull it out.Actually he is a reptilian from planet-x. I saw the docuemnts on the internet somewhere.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Anti-intellectualism. Think about it. It is a lynchpin of the right-wing. Think about it. Anti: against. Intellectualism: thinking, intellect, intelligence. Think about it.

Funny you mention that BB. I was flipping through TV channels last night and paused to watch some of Bill O'Reilly on Foxnews. He proudly posted a comment from a "loyal viewer" regarding Bill's newest book. The viewer wrote that "This is the first book I have finished in over forty years."

A person that hasn't read/finished a book in forty years is precisely the person that is swayed by the birther nonsense.

And while I'm here...hey Farkel... you didn't respond to this post regarding the framers' original intent.

Farkel said: The intent of this clause was clear at the time. Many of our founding fathers were not born in the Colonies, but in England. They wanted to make sure that future Presidents had to be born on US soil. That was their intent and that is why they used the term "natural born."

I posted this quote: "This understanding may have been reflected in the first naturalization act of 1790 "An Act to Establish a Uniform Rule of Naturalization," which provided "the children of citizens of the United States, that may be born beyond sea, or out of the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born citizens. " Because the First Congress passed this act, it arguably reflects the original understanding of " natural born citizen " as encompassing those born of the citizen-sovereigns on foreign soil. On this interpretation, John McCain would be a natural born citizen of the United States (at least for the purposes of eligibility for the presidency) because the original meaning of that phrase includes all persons born to American citizens."

Copyright (c) 2008 Michigan Law Review
    Michigan Law Review First Impressions
    September 2008
    107 Mich. L. Rev. First Impressions 22 COMMENTARIES: ORIGINALISM AND THE
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN CLAUSE

NAME: Lawrence B. Solum*

• Gregor
    Gregor

I must say a political argument/discussion based on anecdotes and quotes from the state approved media (The Huffington Post, The Daily Koz, Frank Rich/New York Times, Bill Mahr, on and on...) to support your side is doomed to degenerate into mud wrestling. "Parroting the right wing media" seems to satisfy some people as a "one size fits all" rebuttal to any comment from the right.

As I have said before, the game has started on the field. The people wearing Cheeseheads and the people with the Braveheart face paint can scream at each other all they want. I am setting back eating popcorn and quietly rooting for my side.

Signed,

Prince Dork, brother of Princess Dunce and the Ice Queen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit