Walk Away Quietly, Go Out with a Bang, Protest, Disappear- What's Best?

by OnTheWayOut 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Lucky Calamity
    Lucky Calamity

Very good questions, Leaving.

Living in denial can make it impossible to answer some of those questions honestly, while living in the repression of a cult can make it nearly impossible to answer many of those questions openly.

It is important to be able to frame and answer those questions in a safe place.

My feeling is that the costs of staying, in the long and the short run, outweigh the costs of leaving, but that staying with the familiar - however painful it may be - usually seems easier.

The rote, routine, and judgmentalism of Jehovahdoom is familiar and easy, and the paradox of it seems to be that it does not involve questioning the religious authority, but only the secular outsiders; so there is this constant sense of being a rebel with a cause, when in fact the people who stay are imprisoned by their paradigm.

I have struggled with issues of growth and change, versus staying put for many years, off and on, as many people do, but being brought up in a cult can leave long-term residual issues with anxiety and self-sabotage that some must guard against 'religiously.'

There are many pros and cons involved in making a decision to leave a cult, especially if that cult is often regarded as relatively benign by outsiders who don't understand any more than those who are locked into its worldview. I often find myself at odds with that, as well, so I am glad there are people who have been there and done that here.

• Lucky Calamity
    Lucky Calamity

Leaving, thanks for taking the time to ask such questions. I'd like to reciprocate by taking the time to answer:

"Would you like to quit being a cult member and get on with the rest of your life?"

YES, and I DID.

"Would you PREFER to keep your friends and family, in the process?"

YES, but I could not.

"Is this possible in your unique circumstances? "

I wasn't old enough to understand my circumstances, or to realize that my family would actually honor the decision to shun me indefinitely because I disagreed with their ideas about the world and god.

"Will you remain in the cult, if this is what it takes to hang on to friends and family?"

I might have, if I'd realized how hard things would be to leave, especially as a minor, but I am glad that my stubborn streak as a teen forced me to live an extremely challenging, deeply flawed, BUT authentic life.

"Does your "status" with the organization have ANY effect on your relationships with non-JWs?"

Understanding why yes is the answer to that question might be difficult to understand, but if you recognize that not every one on the "outside" of the JW paradigm perceivess how deeply damaging it is to be reared among high-control people -- (and perhaps those who don't understand are under some other high-control spell of their own) -- then it's a bit easier to figure . . . being reared in a cult does affect how you learn (and unlearn) human interactions throughout your life, so the long of it and the short of it, must be, YES.

"Would you want a friend or family member to "live a lie", just to please you?"

Good grief! No!

"Do you value Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Speech and Assembly?"

I value it highly enough to protect it militarily; even if your religion tells you to be a pacifist and not fight for your own rights, I would be willing to fight for your right to hold that belief and to fight for your freedom.

"Can you mentally and emotionally handle losing all of your friends and family?"

Sometimes I wonder if I have or do. It's been a long, long time since I disembarked from the JW train. I don't know what I'd do without the few remaining NON-JW relatives who are very, very important to my well-being and happiness.

"Will there be a bright future ahead if you leave?"

There will always be challenges and joys, regardless of whether you stay or go. Life is hard, and once you accept it, it's a breeze, LOL!

"Does what others think of you rule your life?"

More often than not. But I know that no matter what I ever do or say, for the rest of my life, I cannot change anyone's opinion of me. ONLY THEY CAN DO THAT.

"Will you suffer a tremendous financial setback if you exit the cult?"

Most certainly. I am quite certain that there is no inheritance for me and that my life would have involved many more material and worldly goods if I had stayed a JW, which is most ironic, considering how judgmental they always have been about "materialism." My JW family lives a very cushy, super-materialistic lifesyle, compared to mine, and it certainly is related to their nepotistic tendencies and to their unlimited capacity to view their material success as blessings from Jehovah for their loyal servitude to him, while viewing my struggles as a sign of my personal and spiritual deficiencies and "rebelliousness."

"Everyone has a unique set of circumstances. Each must count the costs and decide WHAT is important."

What is important to Me? Personal integrity and freedom to grow and to be . . . "to thine own self be true." How can one discover self and all of its ambiguities when locked into pleasing and serving the interests of a cult?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I was born in and raised in the bOrg. Taking the leap of getting baptised never felt right and I constantly questioned whether I was crazy or being a halfling in the bOrg was crazy because I believed it somewhat. I didn't know anything else. Plus even though I was very young when the "1975" hysteria was at it's height I couldn't get it out of my mind and I was amazed how fast it was dropped and the bOrg never took the blame for the f**k up, just shifted it to the rank and file.

My parents weren't very good jws while I was growing up, they never pushed us towards baptism and they were "spiritually weak" kind of off and on jws (we even went trick or treating one year), none of their children are jws and don't believe the tripe. I left in my early 20's, my sister stopped going to meetings when she entered college at 17, and my brother hardly ever went to meetings so the indoctrination never took.

Josie

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

In the same spirit that Lucky Calamity answered LWT's questions:

Would you like to quit being a cult member and get on with the rest of your life?

I would love to get the JW label off, but as I said, my mother would shun me. So I stopped field circus and stopped meeting attendance and encourage my wife and mother to think for themselves rather than let WTS do their thinking. I would love to get on with my life, but anything in the right direction, such as fading, is better getting on than just going to the meetings at the Kingdom Hall.

Would you PREFER to keep your friends and family, in the process? Is this possible in your unique circumstances?

I really want to keep my family. Friends- not really. Other than one great friend, I really have no strong desire to keep JW's in my life. I won't shun them, but we have nothing in common once I woke up and they are still asleep. The one exception- he's a great friend and doesn't let this difference destroy our relationship, but I hardly speak to him because he's so busy with WT-related stuff. One day he will make elder and stop speaking to me. I would tell people to expect to lose their friends regardless of their path. Family can sometimes overlook inactive status or disfellowshipped status, sometimes even they won't overlook it.

Will you remain in the cult, if this is what it takes to hang on to friends and family?

Sounds like "Will you remain in prison so you can stay in contact with other prisoners?" If they won't talk to you, you still need your personal freedom. If my mother shunned me, I would be wounded, but continue to stay out of WTS's grips.

Does your "status" with the organization have ANY effect on your relationships with non-JWs?

I don't register to vote. Otherwise, I do what I want. I even tell anyone non-JW what I think of the JW's.

Would you want a friend or family member to "live a lie", just to please you?

No way. I am agnostic now, leaning atheist. If my wife came out but still had faith in God, I wouldn't want to destroy that, forcing her to believe like me. I am certain I have "the truth" but people have different paths. I love some of my Christian, Jewish, Tao friends I have made since leaving WT.

Do you value Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Speech and Assembly?

Just as freedom of speech has it's limits for abuse (no inciting hate riots or yelling "fire" in a theater) freedom of religion has it's limits. We cannot sacrifice children, cats, or virgins on the alter of the gods in the USA. We cannot allow cults like the WTS, LDS, Scientology, etc. take advantage of people and control them. Suicide cults and polygamy cults are not allowed, neither should mind-control cults be allowed in the most ordinary sense.

Can you mentally and emotionally handle losing all of your friends and family?

If that were the trade-off for personal mental ability to think and decide for myself, for personal freedom- YES.

Will there be a bright future ahead if you leave?

Better than the dark future where I was.

Does what others think of you rule your life?

Never.

Will you suffer a tremendous financial setback if you exit the cult?

No effect whatsoever.

• choosing life
    choosing life

I faded rather quickly. I don't disassociate because I have grown kids still in who I believe would shun me. I want to still have some influence on them. I want to show them I am the same person in or out of the borg.

I hope that gives them something to think about.

I still see jws from time to time. Most talk to me, but with their guard up.

I like what LC said, that jws are "always rebels with a cause." I think this is part of what attracts some to this cult. I joined as a very young adult and I was always a rebel with a cause before I joined.

I guess I didn't really change much when I joined. Good insight, LC.

• vilot
    vilot

I went from being the model JW to DA overnight. I wrote a 2 sentence DA letter no explaination and did not discuss it with the elders just walked away. To this day they do not know why I left.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Very interesting comments and responses, here. I enjoyed them.

-LWT

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

For me, because I still love all my old friends, I was also scared that I would be tempted to go back and live a lie because of my strong feelings. (I am a bit emotional that way)

I vividly remember feeling like this. As an elder I was aware of those of whom I'd tried to help in the congregation. I'd been pivotal in getting one guy 'activated' again and he let it be known through my family that he was devastated that I'd stopped attending meetings. I remember lying in bed one night faced with the nightmarish thought of actually having to go back and live a lie just so that I didn't hurt people.

But eventually it was time to move on. Thankfully my wife left a couple of weeks after me. She was the one who wanted to go on an Alpha Course and who suggested we try church.

Once we'd gone done that route (about 1.5 months after leaving), it was easier to DA.

My wife wrote a letter, I refused to do so. I was DAd through my actions (exercising my basic human right to change my religion).

I'm glad we're completely out. We get shunned. We got royally shunned at a family wedding recently. My parents were mostly still reasonably personable towards us, but since returning from the District Convention they've gone all hardcore and have been highly disrespectful in their treatment of us, to the point of trying to claim some sort of right to tell our oldest son what is and isn't acceptable to Jehovah (that got them on a "3 strikes and no more unsupervised access to our kids" rule).

I choosing to stay in so that people who don't love you enough to accept you as you are will still talk to you is a painful choice to make in the long run.

• cantleave
    cantleave

This has been a very interesting post for me. I really do have a lot to lose, all my friends, my family and most of my business contacts are witlesses. I know it's BS and have done for some time, so I am now living a lie. A whopping one at that!!

I am on the body of Elders. I do assignments, but have no responsibilties other than teaching from the platform. I will be stepping down during the next CO's visit, using the "too much pressure with business and family, can't cope with congregational responsibilities as well" card.

I go out on field service but spend my time doing "calls" (visiting my mates), or walking around the countryside by myself (I live in a rural territory). When the time comes I will attend at least 2 of the CO's FS arrangements but because the groups are large and I will get in late, I won't actually go out, just show my face, just get in my car and go somewhere interesting. I did this last time round and it went well. I have in the past helped some stay "in the truth" and my wife and I have brought 1 person in, my leaving will shake their world too.

I need to start to build a life on the outside so that when I do leave there is something to go to. If I leave now I will enter a void and my life will crash around me. I am sure my wife will stay with me, but will not at this time follow me. She hates FS and Meetings but really believes that paradise is around the corner and wouldn't want tp dissapoint her family.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey there, Cantleave.

Fantastic that you are ready to make changes. Even babysteps are steps in the right directions. Awesome.
    I love hearing how you have already stopped the bogus recruiting work.
    After you step aside from responsibilities, if you want to fade a bit, start working on telling the brothers you are "depressed."
    They have really nothing to offer on this.

If you go to your doctor for any reason whatsoever (or just say that you do) you can say that you are seeing a doctor about your problems.
    If you take any pill for anything whatsoever, even a breath mint, you can say you are on medication.

I just mention that because you may want to have a reason for isolating yourself or missing meetings.

Start building that life, it will help incredibly. Thanks for sharing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit