Therapy?

by BirdFood 14 Replies latest jw friends

• BirdFood
    BirdFood

I was just curious how many ex-JW's are in therapy to work through the shunning, family issues, bad experiences while still in, etc. I go every other week, and sometimes I feel like it's helpful, and other times I feel like it doesn't really change anything and wonder if it's even worth going. It's not horrible, but it's not really enjoyable to go either and sometimes I feel like my therapist just doesn't understand the manitude of the situation. But then again how could she, she has never dealt with it firsthand. I do like talking to her, and I guess it feels good to talk, but I usually leave feeling worse than when I went in. Maybe I need therapy to better handle my therapy?

SOOO, if you go or have gone to therapy, do you feel like it's helpful or harmful? How long did you go or do you plan to go? What did you get out of it or what are you hoping to get out of it?

Thanks,

BF

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

So much really does depend on the therapist. And you are right, very few are familiar with working with ex-cult members. Might be worth looking into finding one if you can. Other than that you can read and give a copy of the books "Combatting Cult Mind Control" and "Take Back Your Life" so you both are on the same page.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

This is true. A lot does depend on the therapist, and the connection between patient and therapist. It's a lot like dating, you could find an outstanding therapist but if they don't connect with you, you really won't get as much out of the sessions. But if you can find someone you connect with, who you like and trust and who works well with you, the progress you'll make will amaze you.

My wife did it for a year after she left. It helped her tremendously.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I've been to a few different therapists, and the one who helped me the most was the one who spent the last 20 minutes of the sessions bringing me back to reality by helping me to focus on something positive in my life. Although I cried plenty of times during he session, I always left his office feeling relieved about talking things out and happy about something in my current life.

• wobble
    wobble

Jeez, you are so far ahead of us be-nighted ones in the U.K

If we need therapy, we at least have to be a serial killer ,brought up in an abusive home,with no education,drug dependant,mentally unbalanced,dis-abled and FU**ING ugly,then we MIGHT get some help,but it all depends on what post code (Zone) you live in !!!

You guys have it easy !

Love

Wobble (of the coping badly on his own class)

• awildflower
    awildflower

I was fortunate enough to be in touch with a therapist who is an inactive jw so it helped so much that she knew exactly what I was going through. I look at the therapy I got as part of the journey I'm on. When I first started it, it was exactly what I needed. If it weren't for that I don't know if I'd be here and I didn't end up having to take the anti-depressants my dr. gave me. I never felt worse though after a session, always better. Now I don't have therapy but maybe every few months, but she's definitely one of my friends now. It's all part of the journey...........wf

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Therapy depends on what issues you are going through, if there has been any abuse by all means it is very necessary.

If it is all the doctrinal issues, reading C.o.c book and the best I feel is Steve Hassan's "Combatting Cult Mind Control" a must read...

and of course the support and experiences by many on this forum will help to see what so many have gone through and what has helped them to get through the pain.

h4o

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Very good question, and one that I have been grappling with within the past few months. My two-thread "saga" is here, with lots of good advice and encouragement from our awesome posters:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/private/174437/1/I-Just-Bought-Combatting-Mind-Control-for-My-Counselor-as-a-Gift

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/private/174889/1/Well-I-Just-Broke-Up-with-My-Therapist

Our own Rebel8 has created a chart that you can download for free, comparing cults with "run of the mill" emotional abuse, which therapists are better equipped to understand.

Her thread is here:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/175041/1/Emotional-Abuse-Cults

You are in the right place. You'd be surprised how healing this place can be. We're glad you're here.

And by the way, you said:

Maybe I need therapy to better handle my therapy?

That is hilarious. I think that's the way that I felt!

Love,
    Baba.

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

When I was in and being treated with medicine for depression my GP wanted me to go to see a counsellor. I refused to go as I knew that I was depressed from being a JW and what was going on. I didn't want to have to listen to them tell me I should leave as I knew that they tell you to get out of whatever is causing you to feel a certain way.

Now that I'm out I think that therapy of some sort could help but recently I made the first big step and told a friend that I used to be a JW and that it was a very negative experience. Personally, coming on this board and mainly reading has been a big help. No therapist can truly understand what being a JW does to someone......

• rebel8
    rebel8
    I was just curious how many ex-JW's are in therapy to work through the shunning, family issues, bad experiences while still in, etc.

I don't know, but I'd venture to say a lot. Please, everyone out there, see a professional therapist. Do not become a therapist or enter the helping professions as a way to help yourself. It's not healthy or effective, trust me.

I go every other week, and sometimes I feel like it's helpful, and other times I feel like it doesn't really change anything and wonder if it's even worth going.

It helps you analyze your past, your present, and develop coping skills.

It's not horrible, but it's not really enjoyable to go either

Actually, if you said it was enjoyable, I'd say your therapist is probably be doing nothing wrong. Imagine going to physical therapy and feeling no pain or being pushed to do nothing uncomfortable for the sake of healing. It would be nice, but it wouldn't help you heal.

Friendships are what provide you with the feel-good kudos, affirmations, and hugs. Therapists are supposed to push you to work on difficult stuff.

and sometimes I feel like my therapist just doesn't understand the manitude of the situation. But then again how could she, she has never dealt with it firsthand.

Any qualified therapist knows how to treat the effects of emotional abuse. If he/she isn't seeing your time in the Borg as emotional abuse, educate him or her about it. I wrote a comparison of the elements of being in any type of emotionally abusive relationship and being in the Borg. (oops! I see BabaYaga already posted that.)

There is a prevalent belief that a therapist must have personally experienced things he/she is counseling patients about. That happens to be a myth. A therapist uses evidence-based professional techniques to treat patients, just like an oncologist does to treat patients. An oncologist does not need to be a cancer survivor in order to go to medical school and go into practice.

Good luck in your journey.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit