A good friend of mine was df'd this week.

by wha happened? 75 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

wha? by what you said I assume, I know, I know,... that his works are in the old songbook? If this is true it is very interesting. I was in a congregation just 4 hours from beth-hell and we were told that there was a new songbook because they felt they needed to get rid of songs that might infect the congregations because they were written by........... apostates!

• vikesgirl101
    vikesgirl101

OMG! Are you serious? They would get rid of the song book because someone questioned the BORG? Insane. So childish. It's not like he was a "Tool of the Devil" when he worked on the music.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Not only is it childish, it's also a very expensive undertaking. Are JW's still using the 1984(?) songbook?

• freedomisntfree
    freedomisntfree

They played some of thoose new songs at the dc last month they were .................i dont even know the word it was like a paragraph of "truthisms" set to music.and all the music sounded basicly the same and very evangilical like one was supposed to be sad and it sounded like some sort of dirge.Needless to say it was bizzare and will be even worse when untrained voices in halls are trying to learn them luckily I wont have to hear it!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

there are several songs in that book written by now ex JW's. My friend went through his ordeal very recently. Way after they decided on a new songbook. When I told my wife which song it was I felt bad. It was one of my favorite songs to sing. Unlike most of the other songs, it sounded like it was written by someone who was formally educated in music. I guess I was right.

I was heavy into the music scene when I became a JW. I was pressured hard to quit and I did. When I moved into my recently df'd friends hall, he remembered me and asked if I was still playing. To my surprise he chastised me for quitting. It was an eye openner at that cong as there were musicians, actors, movie grips, directors etc etc etc. All the evil occupations in a cong that was the warmest. Go figure.

• whoknows
    whoknows

Hi Wha-

We just got wind of this thread and I want to thank you for your kinds words about the df'd person in question (my husband). We tried to walk away quietly, haven't been to a meeting in two years and we were not in contact with anyone, yet we got the call that there was evidence of his "teaching" apostate ideas. Teaching who I wonder? We did have some private and honest conversations with close friends before we left in an effort to explain our position and possibly get them to think a little. Evidently that was enough to bring on a public execution of us very dangerous people two years later. We were kindly invited to attend a judicial committee meeting, politely declined that lovely invitation, and my husband told them "I know you will do what you are TOLD to do". The GB is terrified of people that think for themselves and vilify and demonize any "independent thinkers"! It's OK, we have moved on with our lives and our hope is that this kind of action towards us will cause some to think, but Im not holding my breath.

He was an elder for 26 years, had just about every job in the cong you can think of because he was a reliable good teacher. We had a bookstudy in our home for about 25 years. He sacrificed a lot to travel back to NY to volunteer his skills as a composer, orchestrator and arranger for the borg. He did write two songs in the old songbook, one was quite popular, but now, evidently, the message in that song is evil.

For any lurkers reading this, it is difficult and scary to walk away after 42 years, but there is a whole world of good things out there. It gets easier with time, the first year is the hardest - cliches I know, but true. We did a ton of reading and research in order to re-wire our programmed ignorant thinking. It takes time and effort, but it is well worth it.

whoknows

We are very happy to have our freedom and are enjoying our lives.

i

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    We did have some private and honest conversations with close friends before we left in an effort to explain our position and possibly get them to think a little. Evidently that was enough to bring on a public execution of us very dangerous people two years later.

This is a good reminder to all faders. JWs feel compelled to police one another and report infractions to the leaders.

For any lurkers reading this, it is difficult and scary to walk away after 42 years, but there is a whole world of good things out there. It gets easier with time, the first year is the hardest - cliches I know, but true. We did a ton of reading and research in order to re-wire our programmed ignorant thinking. It takes time and effort, but it is well worth it.

Yes, I found this to be true. It is a little scary at first, but the true freedom is worth it.

I'm sorry that you've had to go through this ordeal.

Thank you for sharing your story.

-LWT

• awildflower
    awildflower

I heard they had to make a new song book to update the current jw terminology? If they re-did it because it had 'evil' stuff in it before , then where was the Holy Spirit when the old one was being recorded? Do these people not understand that they prove the arguments on this board to be true, everyday! Maybe they got rid of it so those that contributed to it and are no longer in, don't try to sue the org for some type of compensation or rights to their work? Interesting...........wf

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

These two are good friends of ours too and we feel pivileged to know them - they are adorable, fun, smart, kind, interesting and gave their best years to the organisation to have it all thrown back in their faces, tossed out with nothing but a wrecked reputation. But, they are survivors and the WT's loss is our gain. Perhaps DNCall will even share his story finally on here for you all.........

The Society is losing its brightest stars and these two give us all hope that many more will see the light and be brave enough to put their money where their mouths are......

Hats off to two of my favourite people for being brave enough to leave with all the consequences that that brought.

Love you guys!

(PS that famous song was one of my favourites - it always made me cry when we sang it assemblies!)

• whoknows
    whoknows

Thank you sweetpea - you almost made me cry! You and Besty have been such a great encouragement to us in the last couple of years and we love you for it! You showed us the way -

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit