Inability to take hints

by rebel8 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

She was reproved for being ugly.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I still have the barrier and hint problem. Being deaf doesn't help matters when a lot of it is in the tone of voice. I've learned to really read faces for genuine interest in whatever it is I'm talking about or suggesting. In deaf culture, we are right there to say "no, that's boring to me." It would be so easy if the hearies would do that, too, but they don't. I'm slowly getting it. My mom taught me by her horrid social skills example to take their words for face value and believe people. Now, I have to undue 38 years of poor social training and start over. It's hard and embarrassing much of the time. If it's subtle, I won't get it. I promise that it will zoom right over my head, even though I'm bright and not at all retarded.

• White Dove
    White Dove

For instance, knitted and raised eyebrows while verbally agreeing with something means the person does not agree. It's simple things like that I couldn't even read until now, 3 years after I quit the meetings. "Um, okay." means it's not okay. I feel so much better for learning this stuff now rather than later.

• ninja
    ninja

hey white dove.....don't be so hearist.....he he

• ninja
    ninja

ninja knits his eyebrows..........out of necessity.......I burnt my real ones making flambeed nissin cup noodles

• Kudra
    Kudra

hah, rebel8- hadn't thought about that... "conversation stoppers"! Yes, the householder IS trying to STOP the conversation. as in they really just don't want to talk to JWs!

I certainly had more than my fair share of NOT getting the point that the HH just wanted me the hell off of their porch...

Wish I were Catholic so I could do Mea Culpas... or self-flagellate...

• Satanus
    Satanus

What, rainna can't take a hint?? Hahahaha. That's a funny one.

S

• steve2
    steve2

Come on, people. Tolerance and understanding go a long way. Insults don't further the worthy topic.

Back to the topic: To be fair, the inability to take hints is a hallmark of lots of evangelising religious people, of which the JWs are but one type. I look back with some embarrasment at the number of times I pursued hapless householders because I thought their indirect responses meant they could potentially be interested (e.g., "I've got my own religion" "I'm too busy now", etc)

And let's face it, people need to take responsibility for their indirect ways of saying "Go away"; it's often a sign that people aren't used to firmly saying "No, please leave". When householders firmly but calmly told me they were not interested, I got the message: I wished them a good day and left.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

This is a great topic, and I have been in literal business world today, so hints are lost on me at the moment... I need a drink. *where's the scotch? Damn! Miller Lite it is...*

Steve2, Reinna has been trolling a lot more then usual lately, and annoying everyone with her paper thin arguments and her short end of the pool logic and thinking ability.

When I was a JW, and I saw someone drop those "hints", I got it. Then I would watch other JW's go, "See, what a nice person, I will call back." I hated it when CO's did this, trying to encourage you to go back and visit people who hoped they would never see you again.

Dum as roks.

• Free
    Free

I wish everyone would start ignoring reniaa, Does't that sound like a great thread/Idea ? I haven't really notice this thorn in everyone's side until recently and after I spewed a little hate myself I realized that this reniaa would be crushed if nobody would respond to her/him.

SO, What do you all think ? I say from this time on everyone just put the blinders on when it comes to replying to this thorn.

They would disappear after not to long and move their misery onward. They starve for all the attention and we all should put an end to it. It would help them move on.

As far as the topic, JW's 100% have no clue when it comes to people hinting that they get lost, Everybody knows that that is just the truth.

I love to run into ones who don't know me and have some fun, saying things like,

" Hey, You guys believe that some of the generation that was alive in 1914 will still be alive when armageddon comes, right ? " and act confused when they start dancing.

I say I used to know a guy I worked with who would study with me at lunch time in a little red book. They get all smilely and then I start dropping thing's about the U.N. . I only have about 5 seconds after that to get out some more and I always end with

" How can light at the proper time be light at all when it wasn't proper light to begin with ? " That gets their wheels spinning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit