Inability to take hints

by rebel8 68 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

When people would say, "I don't understand your beliefs on DFing," or, "I don't understand your beliefs on the end times calculations," (even after these were explained)....I used to think I'm just smarter than them.

• Now I realize they comprehended it just fine but were trying to say, "I don't agree with you," in a softer way.

When people would say, "I'm too busy to talk to you right now," I thought that was an invitation to return.

• Now I realize they were trying to say, "Please go away and don't come back," in a softer way.
  • Satanus
    Satanus

As a jw, i think that applied in other situations, too. While i did have a fairly good social life as a jw, understanding the subtlties of nonjws was something i had to learn after exiting.

S

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

lol - you are so right rebel8

I still have difficulty with this. fortunately I have a very smart daughter who has aclimitized more quickly than I

• carla
    carla

How funny! I have been saying this ever since my jw joined up! You know that silent language of married couples? I don't know how but jw's managed to suck that out too! my jw has asked 'why didn't you kick me under the table or something?' (to stop him from saying something stupid or something he shouldn't) long ago a quick look would have been enough or a slight brush on his foot. Not anymore, if you try the tapping the foot thing under the table he will now say out loud 'why are you kicking me?' which elicits knowing smirks from all the women at table. So now I just let him hang himself with his own stupidity and deal with the 'oh why didn't you stop me' later.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I never realized that the term "Potential Conversation Stoppers" really meant, "keep pushing till you piss them off!" W.Once

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

And when all the lights were on in the house, and there were three cars in the driveway, yet they didn't answer the door, I assumed they were really not home.

• reniaa
    reniaa

Poor Paul and Jesus they would have hidden from a PC world were we must keep to inanities of conversation rather than be zealous about our God. Shopping, weather, latest slimming fads, ballgames, general ill-health, latest dumbed down TV show or action kill-everyone movie all welcome in conversation but please no Deep discussion on meaning of life and God we cannot cope with it.

Reniaa

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Interesting how you limit the power of Jesus Reniaa, and disparage Paul. I guess you need to do this to elevate your god- the GB

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I personally do not tell JWs not to come back. I act as a curious person with lots of questions- one's they never seem to be able to answer. :)

• dinah
    dinah
    I never realized that the term "Potential Conversation Stoppers" really meant, "keep pushing till you piss them off!" W.Once

That was post #1975 for you w.Once.

We sure spent alot of time learning how to piss people off! That must be why I've heard so many people say not to be too nice to the Witnesses because they'll see it as an invitation to come back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit