What Religion Are You?

by homeschool 71 Replies latest jw friends

• homeschool
    homeschool

I see that there are many people on here who've left the jw's and are still Christians...but I wonder what type? Non Denominational? Has anyone changed to something completely different like Hindu or Buddhism? We tried going to a Baptist church a couple months ago, and I could tell it wasn't the place for us once the minister started bashing gay people within 5 minutes of the sermon. Yesterday, we went to a Methodist Church for the first time, and I almost got a little teary-eyed from the overwhelming feeling of acceptence during the sermon. They weren't love bombing us, although they were very friendly and welcoming. Not sure how to explain it....it wasn't so much the words that I was hearing but the Feeling of it all (yes, I'm a girl)

They passed the plate around, but people had put their money into envelopes so you couldn't really see how much each person was putting in.

We went to lunch with the couple/friends we went to church with. The wife commented how awesome it was (it was their first time going too) and that she needsthat in her life. It was her opinion, but it made me feel uneasy. I don't want to NEED something like that, but the experience was pretty darn cool

Anyway, I'm just wondering what faith, religion, or non-religion you have turned to...? Thanks!

• Amazing
    Amazing

Christian

• Heaven
    Heaven

No Religion. All Religion is man-made.

My Faith is Christian. I see Religion as trying to take people's Faith and manipulating it so that those running the Religion can control people. I see no reason to have Religion in order for me to have a relationship with God and Christ. I seek a high power than Religion can ever offer me.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I dont have a religion. But I have a personal relationship with Jesus
    I talk to him constantly & Only to him.( & HIS DAD LOL)
    I go to any church If I want to ( not to often) I watch
    the Living Church ( Peoples Church) on TV also Charles Stanley

As for the folks putting their money in enverlopes. That is because
    they have the enverlopes with their names on them & can hand them
    in for TAX receipts that the treasurer sends at the year end...

• homeschool
    homeschool

No Religion. All Religion is man-made. So you believe Religion is man made, but jesus' story is not?

Ahhhh, Mouthy, thanks for the clarification. I thought it was for privacy.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

None. I just don't think I could sit in a church/mosque/temple, etc any time soon. That may change one day. IF I did go to any church ceremony, it would be the Unitarians'. They seem to be the closest to how I am feeling about religion at this time.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I agree, religion is usually this

Mark 7:8 (New International Version)

8 You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men."

I am born again. That is not a tradition of men or a religion but something Jesus tell us we need to be.

In the whole of the original koine greek NT "religious" arrears just once http://strongsnumbers.com/greek/2357.htm "religion" appears only four times http://strongsnumbers.com/greek/2356.htm Obviously religion is not very important. However, faith in Jesus and knowing Him is paramount :) All the best, Stephen

• snowbird
    snowbird

None.

I am Christian - a follower of the Lamb of God.

Sylvia

• homeschool
    homeschool

So nobody feels like they should go to a church, and that its okay to simply have Christ in your heart? Doesnt anybody to go church for the social aspect?

• Heaven
    Heaven

So you believe Religion is man made, but jesus' story is not?

What is documented in the Bible could very well be man made. I definitely see flaws and contradictions in it. I believe God expected the Bible to be altered. I choose to embrace the good that the Bible relates, which includes the story of our Heavenly Father's Son dying for all of us so that we could be saved. This gives meaning and hope to a lot of things for me.

I was not alive when Jesus walked the Earth. What I know is that the essence of his teachings is to be kind and loving, to help those who need help, that there are exceptions to the rules when the right thing to do is in conflict with a rule. This is what I embrace as a Christian. I see no reason for a man-made organization to be an intermediary between me and my Heavenly Father and my Saviour/King. I also know that those of other 'Faiths' (eg. Muslim, Buddhist, Jewish, etc) all have the same understandings regarding good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit