My Assignment For Ray Franz

by sacolton 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Ed Dunlap never served on the Governing Body, but he was one of the Watchtower's best writers. He wrote the Commentary on the Letter Of James, one of the Watchtower's better publications. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is the only Bible commentary published by the Watchtower.

I was sorry to hear of Ed's passing. It is good to hear that his wife is doing well.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Ed Dunlap was not one of the Governing Body (not a partaker) but did research, writing and did work with RayFranz.

• sacolton
    sacolton

He helped write Aid To Bible Understanding.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

The thought of being able to do something for Ray must feel like a huge privilege. I'm so happy for you!

• yesidid
    yesidid

Ed was the Registrar of, and an instructor at Gilead, among other things.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Ed was in the Writing Department and according to CoC, was a very humble man who didn't want to think more of him self than was necessary. He endured a lot of hassle at Bethel. At one point he was in a lot of pain from his back. Nathan Knorr decided that it would be better for Ed to work in the bindery for a while, that this somehow would help his back pain. Ed went along, humbly, with this, but according to CoC it made him realise just how much power and control the Org had over his life.

It was Ed and Ray, while researching the Commentary on James book (yes, it's the only commentary the WTS have produced) that they discovered that the sick who were to have oil poured on them and prayed for were in fact the physically sick, not the spiritually sick that the WTS claims.

Ed was disfellowshipped, but upon hearing of the JC's decision, said, "Ok, but don't you dare say it was for apostasy".

• boyzone
    boyzone

its lovely to hear Ed's widow is being taken care of Sacolton and thanks for being able to do this. When I read COC I got the impression that Ray had a huge amount of respect and admiration for Ed and that made me admire the man too. I only wish distance didn't prohibit a more practical assistance.

Is there anything I can do from the UK? Would she appreciate a letter or card from a wellwisher or would that be too much for her? I wouldn't expect a reply but just to let her know how appreciative I am of her and her husband and the courage they both showed. Please PM me an address if you think this'll be ok.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

If we can send cards, even if to another address and then someone forward them I would like to do that.

purps

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Can I second purps request? An address to send a card would be great.

MM.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

This is a wonderful thread. Wouldn't it be nice if thousands of cards could be send to her. I like purplesofas idea.

Hmmm.......and if each card had a little $ in it, it could sure help out.

HappyDad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit