two witness ruling ?

by KAYTEE 154 Replies latest jw friends

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Actually, "unbaptised" publishers are "NOT" ordained yet, nor are they technically JWs yet, either; this is because "ordination" comes with answering in the affirmative to the 2 questions (repentance and identification) and being baptised, thus becoming a JW officially.

If the "threat" is made, but not yet carried out, then I see several ways of going about getting a second opinion. I suggest that one could go to other, more-trusted, qualified elders (including from other congos, the area C/O(s), etc.); one could go to an online forum such as JWN; or one could go to a "worldly" authority figure (counselor, lawyer, the police, etc.).

If "An appeal is overturned less than 1% of the time.", then I think I'm glad that appeals are so successful. Am I understanding things correctly? How is it then that "the appeals process is a joke."? Does someone know how I could verify this percentage?

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

analogies? How will a "shrink" help with my scriptural analogies?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

To clarify, I take exception to the following 6 phrases:— 1) "as a means to silence any victim from reporting", 2) "not interested in", 3) "sell their inane magazines", 4) "stats, not people", 5) "The two witness rule is evil.", and 6) "Evil cannot exist where a god of love is", and 7) the god of the Bible does not exist amongst Jehovah's Witnesses.

1) I've asked you several times to present even one scripture from the Bible, not the Watchtower, but the Bible wherein Jehovah God demands a child present 2 eyewitnesses to prove not only they were sexually assaulted but to prove they are not a liar. You have not done so. Therefore, logically, this rule is created out of thing air by Jehovah's Witnesses with no Biblical support whatsoever.

This begs the question -- why? Why create such a rule? I, and thousands of other victims, were indeed threatened. Frank Nicholson, Circuit Overseer to Texas Circuit No. 13 sat in my living room in 1988 and told me he "would see to it personally that [I] were disfellowshipped." Why? Because, to quote him, I would not "shut up". I know of a situation where the offender refused to confess, however he was convicted (but never disciplined by the elders) and upon his release was assigned to the exact same book study as his victim. The intimidation worked and the family left the congregation. They had been shunned by the way, by the entire congregation even though the child had done nothing wrong.

For years I believed the elders when they told me I was the only one, now that Al Gore invented the Internet, I long ago discovered that no, I was lied to. This same situation has played out tens of thousands of times.

The two witness rule is there to silence victims. If you do not accept my assertion, then listen to the thousands and thousands of others. Read VoidEater's post earlier in this thread. If you can't do that, then I can't help you overcome a stunning display of denial.

2) No Jehovah's Witnesses are not interested in people. Taking into account the above two examples I will offer you another. My late father in law was an elder for 40 years, partook at Memorial, regular district assembly talks and so on. He struggled for years to care for his wife who had dementia/Alzheimers. No one in the congregation ever visited their home to encourage either one. No one from that congregation ever offered to help in any way whatsoever.

Finally he made the difficult decision to commit his wife to a nursing home. After caring for her for nearly 10 years, stressed and exhausted he made a mistake and had a very brief affair with a woman in his retirement home. Of course he was immediately disfellowshipped. However, he faithfully attended every meeting for over a year until the elders finally reinstated him. I remember speaking with him and he was so excited that he could now talk with his friends again. He wanted to go out to lunch with them, have a party in the rec center of his retirement home, but no that would not happen. Nearly every person in that congregation still refused to talk with him, much less accept a party invitation or lunch date. Further the elders forbade him to ever work with a woman out in service.

After 9 months of this treatment he finally gave in and shot himself. Not one person from his congregation attended, and the handful of Witnesses who did attend walked out of the funeral service when a friend at the retirement home sang "Amazing Grace" as a way to honor his friend. A song, curiously, whose lyrics do not in any way contradict Witness teachings.

Please tell me again, and again, how much Jehovah's Witnesses care for people.

3) What do you think field service is? Who cares that they don't charge, they ask for a "donation". Don't play word games. The Watchtower is oversimplified Biblical pablum meant to serve as mental busy work so no one has to think too much. I was wrong to call it "inane", however, in reality it is blasphemous stupidity.

4) Well I responded to the people portion of your objection already but do I really need to go into depth on how obsessed this weird little sect is about statistics? Number of meetings attended; number of comments made; number of magazines sold; number of books sold; number of hours trying to sell literature; grades on TMS talks. Geez I can go on and on with all the endless supply of numbers.

The elders won't visit if you're sick but if your numbers go down they sure will! "Brother we've noticed your hours are down, is there a problem?"

5) & 6) Any rule that protects a sexual offender whilst persecuting the child victim IS evil. If you can't understand that simple point frankly I don't give a damn. Do you disagree with Jesus' sentiments that an offender would be better off having a mill stone tied around his neck and thrown into the sea? I've given you several examples of how Jehovah's Witnesses have treated abuse victims, which is in direct contradiction to Jesus' observation.

Therefore, logically speaking, this little sect has in place a rule that goes directly against Jesus' philosophy and Paul's statements about love in 1 Cor. 13. How loving is it to treat a child, brutally traumatized, in the way I've shown you? If the elders were to show the spirit of love, why do not they not do everything they can to address the child's spiritual needs? Isn't that what they're supposed to be there for? And yet they do not. Why?

It is a sign of the evil of the rule, and their behavior is also a sign of the evil that they do.

7) I stated my belief. All religion is about is belief. I gave you mine. You believe otherwise. Duly noted.

Big Tex's comments appear to reflect his emotional pain and personal frustration, and appear to not reflect accurately on the facts or the work with which Jehovah's Witnesses in general (and JCs in particular) are tasked to do. I am reminded of Proverbs 12:18, which applies to me also:—There exists the one speaking thoughtlessly as with the stabs of a sword, but the tongue of the wise ones is a healing.

Ah this is just a weak little jab to get a rise out of me. Pass.

I'd much rather keep this thread on subject than engage in personal attacks. If you can't, well have fun and fire away then.

Chris

• Hiding Questioner
    Hiding Questioner

Big TEX, I just want you to know that your words are so profound to me and they ring so true. I too am a victim of being a Silent Lamb. For years I was sexually abused and made to feel that it was all my fault. I too was told to keep Quiet. It has affected my life profoundly to the point that, because of the pain that doesn’t seem to go away, I have, several times, wanted to commit suicide! Thankfully, professional therapy and this web site saved my life.

Thank you for opening up the eyes hopefully of some of the Luckers out there.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

HQ I am so sorry for what happened to you. It's a special kind of hell when a victim is re-victimized by those who claim to be representing god.

I'm glad you made it out of there in one piece.

Thank you for contributing to this thread.

Be well,

Chris

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Thank you, Chris, for your thoughtful response (Post 12796). I will try to respond with my thoughtful best, as well.

1) I believe that the "2-witness principle" is fundamentally about truth and rejecting slander and false charges. Corroboration/ substantiation is generally possible once trust is established. Even in this, principles such as found at Proverbs 20:5 (regarding counsel as deep waters) and Proverbs 22:6 (about training according to one's need) must be applied for spiritual healing and reconciliation to take place

2) "He has does not love has not come to know God, because God is love" (1 John 4:8). Jesus, Jehovah's foremost Witness was certainly interested in people, as his compassion demonstrates. Those who follow Jehovah and Jesus in love and interest in people are, therefore, their real Witnesses.

3) Those who understand the spirit of such scriptures as Matthew 24:14; Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Acts 20:19-24; and Romans 10:8-21 and the rest of the Christian commission demonstrate their dedication to Jehovah and Jesus Christ by their respectful application of the Holy Word in their dealings. Motivation is key as 1 John 2:15-17 bear out.

4) Statistics are used in the scriptures in a variety of ways, according to the culture and issues of its day. Likewise in modern times. Statistics can well be used to note trends, whether on an individual basis or with a broader application. All of this needs to be kept in the context of "keeping first God's Kingdom and His righteousness (Matthew 6:33). If the stats help in Matthew 6:33 being fulfilled, then they are well-applied. If they are used to distract from Matthew 6:33, then I suggest that such ones are working in opposition to a proper spirit of holiness, which we should all treasure.

5) and 6) see my 1) above. Each must answer for their actions according to the context and their ability to be heard. Our trust in Jehovah is apparent in our working according to His parameters in humility, and setting "living according to just our own narrow view of justice". Understanding and widening out in our affections is key. So is love of each and every sinner, while hating sin in allits manifestations.

7) I see that 2 Kings 17:26-40 is the only place in the NWT where religion(s) is mentioned. The footnote in the Reference Bible at 2 Kings 17:26 shows that the Hebrew word [mish·pat´] which is translated as "religion" can also be translated as "judgment; judicial decision". This means that if we follow Jehovah's religion, that we follows Jehovah's judgment on matters, Jehovah's judicial decision — which is the proper application of Holy Scripture, once it's been properly read, properly translated, properly understood, and properly balanced with the other matters of relevance and importance.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

1) I believe that the "2-witness principle" is fundamentally about truth and rejecting slander and false charges. Corroboration/ substantiation is generally possible once trust is established. Even in this, principles such as found at Proverbs 20:5 (regarding counsel as deep waters) and Proverbs 22:6 (about training according to one's need) must be applied for spiritual healing and reconciliation to take place

I'm going to take this bit by bit as in all candor you do not know what you're talking about.

I believe that the "2-witness principle" is fundamentally about truth and rejecting slander and false charges.

If Jehovah's Witnesses were interested in truth, why does the Flock book allow the elders to disallow (1) minor children's testimony, including the victim himself/herself if the victim is a minor; and (2) testimony from non-Jehovah's Witnesses? Please explain this to me, as I am clearly too stupid to see how this would help determine the truth of the situation?

Why do you approach this situation assuming the victim is a liar? Would you make the same assumption if someone stepped forward and said Brother Joe Blow killed someone? Or that same man was a thief and had held up a convenience store at gunpoint? If not, why not?

Explain to me how a small child can graphically describe oral sex, anal sex, the taste of semen and other sex acts. Explain to me how a child contracts a veneral disease.

Corroboration/ substantiation is generally possible once trust is established.

WTF??????

What does trust have to do with sexual abuse? This statement leads me to conclude you do not understand what sexual abuse means. The vast majority of sexual offenders are known to the victim. This means most of the time, the child knows and trusts the offender. The act of rape, among other things, violates and shatters that trust. This is part of what I referred to earlier when I said abuse victims have very deep and very real spiritual questions after coming out of abuse. Why did god let this happen? Why didn't god stop it? And so on.

But see you also don't know what you're talking about because elders are not interested in finding out the truth. Another real life example I know about -- teenage boy brutally rapes preschool child. The parents, foolishly in my opinion, go to the elders who approach the teenager.

Now seriously, no bs here, if you were that teenager, would you confess? Of course you wouldn't. What is your motivation? The creep naturally didn't, and the elders turned around and told the parents they were forbidden to report this to the police because they would be guilty of slander. Slander -- just the word you used. Their reasoning? Well the offender didn't confess so naturally the child must be a liar, right?

After the parents reported the assault the creep was convicted and sent away. The elders then went around to every person in that congregation threatening them with being disfellowshipped if one word were spoken about the matter.

Trust is established? Yeah right.

Even in this, principles such as found at Proverbs 20:5 (regarding counsel as deep waters) and Proverbs 22:6 (about training according to one's need) must be applied for spiritual healing and reconciliation to take place

But we're not talking about spiritual healing and/or reconciliation, are we? We're talking about whether a rule pulled out of thin air by Jehovah's Witnesses is Biblically based or not. Or at least I was.

But if you want to talk about healing, why don't the elders do just that? Why not let the justice system make the determination of guilt or innocence, meanwhile the focus of the elders should be to that small child and their family. They have all just been through the most horrific experience imaginable. As I've said to you many times, everyone involved is going to have major, major spiritual issues. Why don't the elders make any attempt to address those issues?

They do not. I have cited you several examples, others have come forward on this thread and given similar experiences. This procedure is broken. It's not there to help people it's there to silence people.

If I am wrong, then please explain to me how so many people have been further harmed by Jehovah's chosen people after the horrific experience of sexual abuse? And if the problem is imperfect humans, then WHAT is the Society doing to correct the errors?

It would help your credibility with me if you made an attempt to answer even one of my questions.

2) "He has does not love has not come to know God, because God is love" (1 John 4:8). Jesus, Jehovah's foremost Witness was certainly interested in people, as his compassion demonstrates. Those who follow Jehovah and Jesus in love and interest in people are, therefore, their real Witnesses.

To paraphrase Walt Whitman -- what Jehovah's Witness do, how poorly they behave, speaks so loudly I cannot hear what you say.

Jesus once said "by their fruits you shall know them". Any group of people who protects a man who rapes children, and then does more damage by threatening the child, and their family, are not showing by their actions they have anything in common with a god of love. The scripture you cite merely proves my original statement that a god of love does not exist amongst that sect (He has does not love has not come to know God ).

The last time I ever sat foot in a Kingdom Hall, a smug, fat, elder gave a talk on just this topic and he oh-so-proudly waved around a national magazine where the cover article was on Catholic priest pedophiles. He sharply criticized the Catholic religion, especially on how they protected the priests and refused to help the child victims. He asked again and again, is this what Jehovah or Jesus would approve of?

You remind me of something Richard Pryor once said, when he was caught by his wife in bed with another woman. He said, "Who you gonna believe? Me? Or your lying eyes?!"

By their actions you shall know . . . .

• verystupid77
    verystupid77

Thank you Big Tex

Your statement here is right on.

Jesus once said "by their fruits you shall know them". Any group of people who protects a man who rapes children, and then does more damage by threatening the child, and their family, are not showing by their actions they have anything in common with a god of love. The scripture you cite merely proves my original statement that a god of love does not exist amongst that sect

Having just dealt with this myself I know for a fact that they do not care in the least for children they only protect the child molesters. And for years latter. I have seen with my own eyes child molesters hold children change dippers etc and if I say anything about it I am threatened with being df'ed. That is not love. Like Big Tex said there is no love in this sect.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

As I said before, my situation was not a sexual crime, but the "2 witness rule" totally screwed me over. Spike, you are wrong about this having changed in the org.

When I finally went to the police about my case, it was after YEARS of having the elders ignore what was going on, and basically telling me to suck it up. They did nothing for me, and I was not allowed to speak of what was going on with anyone. They refused to accept any info from the police that would confirm anything I was telling them. They just wanted me to SHUT UP about it.

After I went to the police, there was much debate in the city amongst the elders about WHETHER I SHOULD HAVE GONE AT ALL!!

BTW, when the police had enough evidence to lay charges, SUDDENLY the elders were agreeable to meeting with all parties. One sister was forced to apologize to me, and I was forced to accept it (even tho I knew she was only doing it to get off the hook congregation-wise) and I was coerced into dropping the charges, with promises that things would be different now that she had been caught.

BIG SURPRISE - nothing changed!! she continued to slander and bad-mouth me to everyone with impunity. She got caught a few more times bad-mouthing me and guess what????

AGAIN, NOTHING WAS DONE ABOUT IT!!!

Stupidest thing I ever did in my entire life - drop those charges against that bitch.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    BIG SURPRISE - nothing changed

This is, I think a very important point. Despite all the thousands and thousands of folks who have been treated so badly by this 2 witness rule, no changes have been made. No effort to help those who have already been traumatized, only further abusive treatment by people who say one thing and do another.

Nothing changes because they don't want things changed. If you understand that one point, then you see this little sect in its true light. Not as loving people bravely standing up to an evil wicked system of things, but a dysfunctional little sect that is just flat out mean spirited.

VS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit