A Salute to the Kids of Dubdom

by Room 215 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Angharad
    Angharad

Great post Room 215

I remember being in school at christmas I hated every minute.

Just this morning Simon and I went to the school to watch Liam in his christmas concert - he has been so excited about it for weeks and it meant so much to him. I cant imagine what it would have been like if he couldnt have joined in. The concert was Merry Christmas from around the world, Liams class did Australia, Liam was a dancing christmas koala bear! It was great you could tell all the kids loved every minute of it. And then Liam played the triangle during the carols.

There is another JW child in Liam's class now, I feel so bad for him and all the kids that missed out on this, as a 5 you dont really understand why you cant join in

• Room 215
    Room 215

Cheers Angharad,

How glad we are that you and Simon have channeled that compassion for the plight of JW youth as well as all of the the dubs trapped in a toxic, control-obsessed religion so constructively in the cration and maintenance of this forum for the disaffected. Many blessing during and beyond the Holidays and well into the coming years for you, Simon and young Liam.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

LOL!! I remember this thread very well,an excellent thread in support of dub kids..That yo-yo,what a lying bastard,lol..Still here under another name..Is there no way to take out the trash?..LOL!...OUTLAW

• teejay
    teejay

I'm sorry that I missed this a year ago but what a wonderful homage to "the least of these" who are, without a doubt, warriors in the truest sense. JW kids. My god!

It is good that we remember them now at this time of year, a time, as you say, of "trembling knees, quivering lips, moistened eyes and ... humiliation." You wrote it very well because that's exactly what it is.

As we age and life hardens us, we eventually muster up whatever it takes to endure the abuse from those who aren't like us. But back then, when we are young -- and alone -- in a classroom of twenty or thirty kids...

... "abuse" is what it is. That's the only word you can put on it.

Man! How did we do it? How did we get through it?

I bow down to JW kids everywhere. They are nothing less than heroes.

Nice post.

• jurs
    jurs

What a beautiful and sad post. Being a JW child during holidays can be rough. Billygoats story of how she couldn't try out for the cheer leading squad reminded me of an assembly where a family had a part about their young daughter wanting to be in gymnastics. They had the family study and talked to their daughter and on her own she came to the conclusion that she would rather not waste her time with gymnastics but spend that time more wisely in service!!! That part of the assembly didn't sit well with me then when I wasn't even doubting!!!

jurs

• teejay
    teejay

Since it touched me so much, I sent Room 215's homage to my kid sister. I thought (apparently mistakenly) that she would get something positive from it. Is it me or is my sister a little crazy?

bro,

you know what.
    i don't recall feeling left out, sad, or any of this because we didn't celebrate.
    i guess being the youngest, by the time i got to be old enough, everyone knew we didn't celebrate so no big deal was made of it.
    many of the kids who DID celebrate were too poor to have much anyway so i don't remember a big deal being made out of my not celebrating.

it's sad that some former "dubs" feel like they missed out.
    i remember [our grandmother] making sure we weren't left out AND mama letting us order one something from the sears or montgomery ward x-mas catalogue every year. i remember poring over those pages of that book and making sure i got the exact thing i wanted all the while wanting so much more but knowing it wasn't gone happen cause even if we did celebrate, mama couldn't afford it.

i feel blessed not having grown up being misled down a "santa-clause-christmas-is-a-special-time-let's-make-merry-even-if-we-can't-afford-it" path.

i run into many people who say, "got your christmas shopping done?" when i say, "i don't celebrate" more often than not they respond with, "you're lucky, i wish i didn't." i don't say this, but i think to myself, "who the hell is holding a gun to your head MAKING you?"

christmas or rather X-mas (no christ in it as far as i'm concerned) is a big joke. buncha phoney-fake-ass people pretending they got so much love.

if i'ma raise my glass to ANYBODY for any reason, it's to my mama for giving me the absolute best upbringing i could ever have hoped for. i wasn't deprived.
    i repeat.....
    i was/am blessed.
  • Room 215
    Room 215

Teejay.....Take heart; I personally admire her capacity for finding in her experience a reinforcement of her self-esteem; highly principled she stands courageously for her convictions and that alone merits our admiration.

Of course, hers is a minority view. While it illustrates how uniquely gifted each of us is, it in no way denigrates or trivializes the embarassment or humiliation needlessly suffered by the majority when an autocratic system forces them --and their parents-- to obey an arbitrary policy they seldom understand or even agree with.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Well friends, it's THAT time of year again, so I thought I would dredge up this thread for one more seasonal go-around

• Fleur
    Fleur

I'm glad you did, I hadn't seen it before. Truly breaks my heart...thinking of all the poor little lambs still going through this.

Cheers to them...from another JW kid who got beat up at school just for being different...

essie

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts
    bro,

you know what.
    i don't recall feeling left out, sad, or any of this because we didn't celebrate.
    i guess being the youngest, by the time i got to be old enough, everyone knew we didn't celebrate so no big deal was made of it.
    many of the kids who DID celebrate were too poor to have much anyway so i don't remember a big deal being made out of my not celebrating.

it's sad that some former "dubs" feel like they missed out.
    i remember [our grandmother] making sure we weren't left out AND mama letting us order one something from the sears or montgomery ward x-mas catalogue every year. i remember poring over those pages of that book and making sure i got the exact thing i wanted all the while wanting so much more but knowing it wasn't gone happen cause even if we did celebrate, mama couldn't afford it.

i feel blessed not having grown up being misled down a "santa-clause-christmas-is-a-special-time-let's-make-merry-even-if-we-can't-afford-it" path.

i run into many people who say, "got your christmas shopping done?" when i say, "i don't celebrate" more often than not they respond with, "you're lucky, i wish i didn't." i don't say this, but i think to myself, "who the hell is holding a gun to your head MAKING you?"

christmas or rather X-mas (no christ in it as far as i'm concerned) is a big joke. buncha phoney-fake-ass people pretending they got so much love.

if i'ma raise my glass to ANYBODY for any reason, it's to my mama for giving me the absolute best upbringing i could ever have hoped for. i wasn't deprived.
    i repeat.....
    i was/am blessed.

this is similar to my experiences.. i never minded not celebrating but i knew a lot of witness kids that werent as fortunate as me , i have great parents and had a happy upbringing. to the kids that werent so fortunate , my heart goes out to them and i salute them in their struggle to overcome their past.. hugs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit