A Salute to the Kids of Dubdom

by Room 215 63 Replies latest jw friends

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama

Billygoat: You have got to be kidding me. So you're telling me that you expect better from me because I'm a Witness? I must have the truth then.

NameWithheld: I did make a mistake, it was RunningMan that called me a moron. Now why did you call me a donkey?

RunningMan: You get all the credit moron.

• Andee
    Andee

Christmas Day=The loneliest day of the year for me

Andee

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Yoyo,

I have no expectations of you. If you'd read my post instead of putting words into my mouth you would have realized what I said:

JW's hold themselves to a higher standard than the rest of the world
    Andi
  • NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Yoyo - I equated you to a donkey because donkeys like to sit around and bray a lot just to hear themselves bray. The description fits very well ...

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

To YoYo Mama (a.k.a. Too Much Drama):

OK. You supposedly "made the truth your own", and you embraced the teachings into your core psyche as a kid and you took a bold, aggressive approach rather than the normal, shy routine.

Perhaps, from a WTBS standpoint, you deserve commendation. Perhaps, from a religious standpoint you deserve praise.

But, as an adult, TODAY, here and now, I challenge you to defend the posture you displayed as a child, and defend it from a balanced, phsycological and sociological frame of reference, can you?

Do you really believe the anti-holiday position is mentally free of harm? Since wedding rings are pagan, buying rounds of drinks in public is pagan, carrying your wife across the threshold, tossing flowers and rice/candy at weddings, and a host of many many other everyday events and practices, how can a reasonable adult see any benefit in assigning labels and discriminating between practices and customs based on sketchy, questionable details?

How do you reconcile the apostolic/biblical freedom displayed by Paul and the pharasaical approach of rules & works enforced by the WTBS?

Is a child's belief system truly endangered by decorating an exchanging gifts? I do not practice XMAS simply because I oppose conformity. However, a small child whose projected scope does not usually extend beyond immediate family, school, and friends will not suffer total and complete christian shipwreck by participating in a limited degree in certain customs and holidays.

As the child grows and matures, an awareness for its surroundings outside of its environment will develop, and then the opportunity will present itself for a real inculcation of beliefs and teachings. Then, the child will actually comprehend and not simply regurgitate memorized mubmlings from publications.

How did you feel as a JW about worldy children who were raised to believe in giants, boogie men, fairies, etc..? It seemed foolish, didn't it? However, these children eventually grew out of those things and are now functioning in society.

I am sure they don't blame their mistakes or misfortnues on imaginary figures from literature or fables. It would be ludicrous.

GROW UP!

Are you that simple? Are you that disingenuous and naive?

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

I remember sitting in the hall when I was in first grade while my class practiced for the Xmas concert. Every afternoon for two weeks! I think I was nine or ten before I figured out that "Hark!" wasn't the name of a hairy angel.

Jankyn

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Yes, sitting in the hall or going to the library.

I hate them. I hate them for what they did to me.

Fuck you, you self righteous pricks.

Slipnslidemaster: MerryChristmas!

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Beautifully stated, slip.

• paulvarjak
    paulvarjak

Another shit and run job by yoyo.

I remember having teachers trick me when I was very young. 'Okay, just color this tree, you don't have to put decorations on it.' It usually resulted in a beating from the folks when I proudly showed them 'Look what I did'. I'm with slip - Bastards, one and all.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

((((((((((((Andee))))))))))))))

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"

Eleanor Roosevelt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit