I agree with Jehovah's Witnesses!

by UnDisfellowshipped 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8

I agree with a few things too:

*** Watchtower March 1, 1894 p.1629 ***

If you get a tract or paper from us that is not in harmony with the Scriptures, let us know and do not circulate it.

*** Zion's Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence December 15 1896 (reprint) p.2080 "Worship the Lord in the Beauty of Holiness" ***

Nor would we have our writings reverenced or regarded as infallible...

*** Is This Life All There Is? (1974) p.46 What Is This Thing Called "Soul"? ***

…God, who is himself "the God of truth" and who hates lies, will not look with favor on persons who cling to organizations that teach falsehood. (Psalm 31:5; Proverbs 6:16-19; Revelation 21:8) And, really, would you want to be even associated with a religion that had not been honest with you?

*** Awake! November 22, 1984 p.3-4 An Open or a Closed Mind—Which Do You Have? ***

An open mind is free from the fetters of prejudice, which by one dictionary is defined as follows: "A judgment or opinion, favorable or unfavorable, formed beforehand or without due examination; a mental decision based on other grounds than reason or justice; especially, a premature or adversely biased opinion."

A necessary part of life is that we make decisions and reach judgments. But decisions made "without due examination" or judgments reached "on other grounds than reason or justice" are evidences of a closed mind.

Having an open mind, on the other hand, means to be receptive to new information and ideas. It means being willing to examine and to evaluate information without a biased attitude. By retaining what is worthwhile and rejecting what is worthless, we can reach definite conclusions on a solid basis and still leave our minds open to further revision should additional information become available at a future time. He who feels he has learned it all can be sure that this attitude will prevent him from ever learning more.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

RE: the "works" issue,

More than anythign else, the motivation behind what we do is what we will be judged on.

Doing good out of love for Jesus and God is great, it is why we shoudl do good (other than the fact that it is right to do good), we shoudl not do any works based on recompense or fear or intimidation or pressure, ones motivation will not be correct under those circumstance, regardless of faith.

Like Paul said, of the greates gifts ( Hope, Faith and Love), Love is the greatest.

God is a God of Love, His Son is love personified and as such, neither want anyone coming to them under duress or fear or for recompense, but out of Love and Faith.

Of course the issue of what TYPES of works is an issue, but in that the bible is also clear as per Matthew and in Jesus's own words:

Matthew 25:34-40 and even in James, what does James mention right off the bat as a sign of good works? Taking care of widows.

• Quentin
    Quentin

"that God may choose to save people who are not Witnesses, as long as God sees something in their hearts"

I've been away from the tower a long time and it was my understanding back then that was how jehovah would judge all mankind in the end...of course you were MUCH better off being a jw that giving you a leg up. So we knocked doors to convince others to see things our way, just to be on the safe side for them to survive God's rath.

Now, if you turly learned the "truth", then turned your back on it, you would be toast...bad heart, no forgivness...

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

If you want renaii to respond your title should have been I disagree with jdubs.

BTW - I don't, it's all bullshit

nj

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Undis I'm just a little curious. If you are indeed a Christian, how can you have so much in common with JWs, when Jws don't even know what Christians are?

For example: 30:) Christians should live by God's moral standards -- no fornication, adultery, murder, stealing, lying, idolatry, or even lusting and hating others.

I thought Christians lived by faith, not by "moral standards" Another example:

26:) Your motives and heart condition are much more important to God than your actions or good works. God does not look at how many hours you put in Field Service, He looks at your heart. (Once again, Watchtower publications have changed on this teaching over the years. I am going with the very latest publications from the last year)

When God looks at your heart, does He see anything different than the JW's heart? If so what? And if not, what separates you, the JW, and the nonbeliever?

Here's one more example: 28:) It is very, very important for Christians to have accurate knowledge and to know the truth. In fact, knowing the truth about God and Jesus' identity and nature means your everlasting life or death.

Do you really believe the only problem with the JWs is that they just haven't taken in enough "accurate knowledge"?

Don't you think your being even a little dishonest about what you have in common with them?

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Deputy Dog,

You said:

"I'm just a little curious. If you are indeed a Christian, how can you have so much in common with JWs, when Jws don't even know what Christians are? For example: 30:) Christians should live by God's moral standards -- no fornication, adultery, murder, stealing, lying, idolatry, or even lusting and hating others. I thought Christians lived by faith, not by "moral standards" "

Christians do live by faith, and we are saved only by grace through faith in the true Christ, but I am sure you have also read Jesus Christ's moral teachings, have you not? Haven't you read His Sermon on the Mount? Look what Christ said at the end of His Sermon: Matthew 7:24-27: “Therefore everyone that hears these sayings of mine and does them will be likened to a discreet man, who built his house upon the rock-mass. And the rain poured down and the floods came and the winds blew and lashed against that house, but it did not cave in, for it had been founded upon the rock-mass. Furthermore, everyone hearing these sayings of mine and not doing them will be likened to a foolish man, who built his house upon the sand. And the rain poured down and the floods came and the winds blew and struck against that house and it caved in, and its collapse was great.” Luke 6:46-49: “Why, then, do YOU call me ‘Lord! Lord!’ but do not do the things I say? Everyone that comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show YOU whom he is like: He is like a man building a house, who dug and went down deep and laid a foundation upon the rock-mass. Consequently, when a flood arose, the river dashed against that house, but was not strong enough to shake it, because of its being well built. On the other hand, he who hears and does not do, is like a man who built a house upon the ground without a foundation. Against it the river dashed, and immediately it collapsed, and the ruin of that house became great.” Notice what else Jesus said: John 14:15, 21: “If YOU love me, YOU will observe my commandments; ... He that has my commandments and observes them, that one is he who loves me. In turn he that loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and will plainly show myself to him.” John 15:8: My Father is glorified in this, that YOU keep bearing much fruit and prove yourselves my disciples. John 15:14: YOU are my friends if YOU do what I am commanding YOU. And James said this: James 1:22-25: However, become doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves with false reasoning. For if anyone is a hearer of the word, and not a doer, this one is like a man looking at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself, and off he goes and immediately forgets what sort of man he is. But he who peers into the perfect law that belongs to freedom and who persists in [it], this [man], because he has become, not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, will be happy in his doing [it]. And I am well aware that the Bible also says that we can only please God by our good works AFTER we have been born again and the Holy Spirit is dwelling within us. My point was, I agree with Jehovah's Witnesses thatwe should obey Christ's moral teachings. If you have a problem with that, maybe you should take it up with Jesus. Deputy Dog said:

" When God looks at your heart, does He see anything different than the JW's heart? If so what? And if not, what separates you, the JW, and the nonbeliever?"

God drew me to His Son, and when I repented and put all my trust in Jesus as my God, Lord, and Savior, then He caused me to be born again by His Spirit. I am saved only by grace through faith in Christ's sacrifice and resurrection. All have fallen short of God's glorious standard, and there is no difference between anyone. God chooses to draw whomever He chooses to have mercy upon, and then, those whom He has drawn either accept or reject His salvation. Deputy Dog said:

"Do you really believe the only problem with the JWs is that they just haven't taken in enough "accurate knowledge"? Don't you think your being even a little dishonest about what you have in common with them?"

According to the Bible, Satan has blinded the minds of all of the unbelievers, and they can only come to their senses if God draws them to His Son. Jehovah's Witnesses are no different in this regard.

And, yes, it is a lack of true knowledge about God and His Son Jesus that prevents them from being saved.

In what way are you saying that I was "dishonest"?

Why are you trying to accuse me of being dishonest and casting doubt on whether I am a true Christian?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

UnDisfellowshipped

You said:

"Christians do live by faith , and we are saved only by grace through faith in the true Christ, but I am sure you have also read Jesus Christ's moral teachings,..."

What kind of answer is that? This sounds like what the Mormons call "faith plus all you can do".

Do you live by faith or the "moral law"? You need to pick one. You're saying, "Christians do live by faith...but...", still need a tutor. (Galatians 3:21-25) Living by the "moral law" (after you're saved) is not living by faith in what Christ has done. You may not see it, but, you're saying you were saved by faith and can now live by law. It must be one or the other, not both.

You quoted James 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. 24 For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. 25But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.

Don't you see that "the perfect law, the law of liberty", is talking about faith?

Look at Romans 3:26 It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. 3:27 Then what becomes of our boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? By a law of works? No, but by the law of faith.

I've heard many JWs try to teach that Jesus died to make it possible to live by the moral law. So that they will have some righteousness to present to God. This is not a Christian/biblical teaching.

UnDisfellowshipped said:

And I am well aware that the Bible also says that we can only please God by our good works AFTER we have been born again and the Holy Spirit is dwelling within us.

Only if you rewrite it.

You sound like you'll be able to boast about all your good deeds, done "AFTER we have been born again"

You deceive yourself. You think you can finish by the flesh, what God has started by the Spirit. Romans 4:4 "Now to the one who works, his wage is not credited as a favor, but as what is due. 5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness,"

Do you really think you can keep the moral law? The moral law drives me back to faith in Christ every minute of every day.

Our works can never "please God", keeping the moral law (assuming you could) is "what is due". Only Christ's works, can pay for what is due, and be pleasing to God. We Christians accept this payment by faith, and that faith is a gift.

Philippians 3:8 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ 9and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith--

UnDisfellowshipped said:

All have fallen short of God's glorious standard, and there is no difference between anyone.

If you really believe this, how can you say to a JW, "Your motives and heart condition are much more important to God than your actions or good works."

If all our hearts are the same, then how are our motives and heart condition so much more important?

UnDisfellowshipped said:

And, yes, it is a lack of true knowledge about God and His Son Jesus that prevents them from being saved.

Hmm, my bible says it is sin that prevents them.

Have you ever stopped to think about all the people that have "accurate knowledge", but refuse to believe it.?

UnDisfellowshipped said:

In what way are you saying that I was "dishonest"?

On one hand you say there is a difference between JWs and Christians.

On the the other hand you say you agree with JWs on what a Christian should be. How can that be? when JWs don't know what a Christian is, let alone what a Christian should be.

Are you a Christian or are you a JW? Or do you think JWs are Christians?

This whole thread seems to be about blurring the lines, and causing confusion.

2Co 6:15 What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, "I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17 Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you, 18 and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty."

UnDisfellowshipped said:

Why are you trying to accuse me of being dishonest and casting doubt on whether I am a true Christian?

I hope you are a true Christian.

Don't you think unbelievers (JWs) would be better served by seeing the differences between Christians and unbelieving JWs? The differences are not small or minor. They're major, huge, GIANT.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Deputy Dog,

Let me be extremely, totally clear:

Salvation has NOTHING to do with own works. Period. When God saves us, it is NOT based on any works whatsoever. Period.

Paul taught that Jesus will judge our works (and our rewards in heaven will be based on them):

1 Corinthians 3:12-15: Now if anyone builds on the foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood materials, hay, stubble, each one’s work will become manifest, for the day will show it up, because it will be revealed by means of fire; and the fire itself will prove what sort of work each one’s is. If anyone’s work that he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward; if anyone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, but he himself will be saved; yet, if so, it will be as through fire.

Paul also said that the Jews were very zealous for God, but not according to accurate knowledge:

Romans 10:1-4 (GOD'S Word Translation): Brothers and sisters, my heart's desire and prayer to God on behalf of the Jewish people is that they would be saved. I can assure you that they are deeply devoted to God, but they are misguided. They don't understand how to receive God's approval. So they try to set up their own way to get it, and they have not accepted God's way for receiving his approval. Christ is the fulfillment of Moses' Teachings so that everyone who has faith may receive God's approval.

Romans 10:1-4 (ESV): Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved. For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

From my experience, it's the same way with most Witnesses today.

Peter said this:

Acts 3:17 (ESV): "And now, brothers, I know that you acted in ignorance, as did also your rulers.

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

To me (admittedly a cynic of Paul) this looks like the classic James vs. Paul debate. Grace of God comes from fath in Christ nothing to do with works. However James clearly shows that "faith WITHOUT works is dead". Which is it? The Chicken or the Egg? I think undisfellowshipped's point is clear - If you have true faith you will have Christian works. If your life violates Jesus' moral teachings then your faith is not "true" faith. If you're not obedient to the Christ in your actions then you give the lie to your claim of Faith. JWs teach a few things that are correct so do Catholics, so do Baptists, so do Menonnites, so do Christadelphians, so do Methodists, so do Episcopalians, so do ..... etc... ect... etc.....

"What is Truth?"

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Deputy Dog,

Also, if you cannot see from Jesus' teachings and Paul's teachings that Christians are constantly commanded to obey Christ's commands, then I am sorry. We are absolutely NOT saved by works, but we are commanded to do good works for Christ, and are commanded not to sin.

Here are just a few passages which say that:

James 2:20 (ESV): Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless?

Titus 3:8 (ESV): The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people.

1st Timothy 6:18-19 (ESV) They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.

Titus 3:14 (ESV): And let our people learn to devote themselves to good works, so as to help cases of urgent need, and not be unfruitful.

Titus 1:16 (ESV): They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work.

Romans 13:13-14 (ESV): Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality, not in quarreling and jealousy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.

1 Corinthians 5:11 (ESV): But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler--not even to eat with such a one.

1 Corinthians 10:7-12 (ESV): Do not be idolaters as some of them were; as it is written, "The people sat down to eat and drink and rose up to play." We must not indulge in sexual immorality as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in a single day. We must not put Christ to the test, as some of them did and were destroyed by serpents, nor grumble, as some of them did and were destroyed by the Destroyer. Now these things happened to them as an example, but they were written down for our instruction, on whom the end of the ages has come. Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.

Ephesians 2:8-10 (ESV): For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Titus 2:7 (ESV): Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity,

Titus 2:14-15 (ESV): who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one disregard you.

Hebrews 10:24 (ESV): And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,

James 2:14-17 (ESV): What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and filled," without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

Revelation 2:5 (ESV): Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent.

Revelation 2:19 (ESV): "'I know your works, your love and faith and service and patient endurance, and that your latter works exceed the first.

Revelation 3:2 (ESV): Wake up, and strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your works complete in the sight of my God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit