Aspects of the Gifts of theHoly Spirit?

by Rocky_Girl 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Chalam,

Interesting you say that..it goes with what I was about to say:

John 3

4 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 “That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 “Do not be amazed that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’

This baptism into the Holy Spirit is a birth. Just as everyone is born of water (which verse 6 makes plain is a fleshly birth), one must be born of the spirit to see the kingdom of God. Neither requires an immersion of water.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello Isaac,

How is Master Tassel to get his bonus points now?!

The word for "again" is intersting here.

anothen

I quite like the renderings "born from above" also.

Anyhow, Spirit Baptism is a separate experience to being born again IMHO and personal experience. See here for example. These dudes were saved and born again believers but not baptised in the Spirit.

Acts 8:15-17 (New International Version)

15 When they arrived, they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them; they had simply been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

There are some other schools of thought on Spirit Baptism, try here for a selection Baptism with the Holy Spirit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All the best,

Stephen

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Chalam,

I will have to pray and ponder your points there.

Thanks for the insight.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hey Isaac,

That's cool. Lemme know how you get on.

This is another verse or two to thrown in the mix.

Ephesians 4:30 (English Standard Version)

30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

Ephesians 1:11-13 (English Standard Version)

11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. 13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit

It is not totally clear what being "sealed" by the Spirit but if you look at the greek sphragizo it suggest He puts His mark on you.

I suggest it is different to baptism in the Spirit and sealing happens at the point of being born again. You see, the dudes we talked about in Acts were sealed when they believed (see verse 13 above) but later became baptised in the Spirit as the account in Acts clearly shows.

Whatever sealed with the Spirit means, if you are born again then Spirit Baptism is for you

Luke 11:10-13 (New International Version)

10 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

11 "Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

Acts 2:4 (New International Version)

4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

Acts 2:38-39 (New International Version)

38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call."

All the best,

Stephen

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Hmm, I tohught of them as the same but those verses do seem to show them as distinct. Thanks for the hlp here and on the board in general. Always appreciate your input and hard work.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I did not word that correctly- I always thought of baptism into the Holy Spirit as the moment one is saved..not a physical baptism. I am open to correction.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hey dude, that's cool-you too.

Speaking in tongues and prophecy next stop :) Acts 19:6

I haven't listened to this but their teaching is pretty cool IMHO, could be worth a try Filled with the Holy Spirit

This should be good too MS02.mp3

This one I have listened to on the matter and is excellent all round TT02_1.mp3

All the best,

Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

I did not word that correctly- I always thought of baptism into the Holy Spirit as the moment one is saved..not a physical baptism. I am open to correction.

I agree with your previous post, they seem distinct in the bible, event in the wording and that is my experience in practice also.

All the best,

Stephen

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

According to Matthew 28:19, baptism is done "in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the holy spirit", which formula was recited at both my "baptisms", if I recall correctly, first as "one of the Friends" & Workers (a.k.a. Two-by-Twos), and then as "one of Jehovah's Witnesses".

So, the correct water baptism is done "in the name … of the holy spirit". Implicit in this statement, if done with accurate knowledge, repentance of scripturally-faulty patterns ought to be already done, and there ought to be an allegiance to the spiritual organization (a.k.a. body) which Jesus Christ heads, in line with such scriptures at Hebrews 10:23-25. The fruitage of the holy spirit ought to be accurately manifest by this time. (Alas, I do not YET bear such fruitage to my satisfaction.)

• snowbird
    snowbird

If this new-to-the-Christian-walk fledgling may inject some input?

Thank you.

From The Message Bible:

1 Corinthians 10:1 -4 Remember our history, friends, and be warned. All our ancestors were led by the providential Cloud and taken miraculously through the Sea. They went through the waters, in a baptism like ours, as Moses led them from enslaving death to salvation life. They all ate and drank identical food and drink, meals provided daily by God. They drank from the Rock, God's fountain for them that stayed with them wherever they were. And the Rock was Christ.

I take this to mean water baptism shows you're turning your back on your former life course, whereas Spirit baptism means you're drinking Living Waters from the Fountain of Life.

Whoever drinks that Water will never again thirst.

Hallelujah!

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit