Aspects of the Gifts of theHoly Spirit?

by Rocky_Girl 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• caliber
    caliber

"only metaphorical
    ".... so are metaphorical baptisms to be counted as actual baptisms ?
  • Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

opening page 3

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

each type of baptism has a different meaning than the others, some have powers conferred with them (or at least did in the first century)

• caliber
    caliber

I just don't know

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

"Insight on the Scriptures", a 2-volume encyclopedia published by Jehovah's Witnesses, has almost 6 full double-column pages covering the various baptisms mentioned in the Bible, including secular references to the practices/ customs that must be differentiated, for those who have access to it.

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

Spike : There's baptism by fire, baptism in the holy spirit, baptism in water, and baptism of dishes/bowls, and perhaps more even

My reply:

There is only one baptism. You are baptised in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, which is baptism in the Holy Spirit. This is done in water, usually out of a bowl or dish, and sometimes in full immersion.

When people speak of baptism by fire, it means that someone proved loyalty to God and died for that faith before being able to receive the sacrament of baptism. It is also called a 'red baptism' In such a case, it is assumed that God will consider them faithful without being baptized.

God is above all of us and is not bound by any rules as interpreted by us and our religions. He is the only one who can read our hearts and intentions. These different ways of proving loyalty are for men, not for our Heavenly Father. That being said, I have been baptized in the way Jesus told us in the bible, not into the "spirit directed organization."

I am glad that, in the end, God will read the hearts of my family who have been deceived by this cult and see how sincere they are in their love for Him.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi RG,

These might help

Luke 3:16 (New International Version)

16 John answered them all, "I baptize you with water. But one more powerful than I will come, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

Acts 8:15-17 (New International Version)

15 When they arrived, they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them; they had simply been baptized int o the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Acts 2:37-38 (New International Version)

37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?"

38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

In short, for all who believe Jesus is Lord Romans 10:9, there is the command to be baptised in water Mark 16:16 and the promise to be baptised in the Spirit Acts 1:5

All the best,

Stephen

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

baptism, according to the Greek text, requires full immersion.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Not so Spike

http://www.antioch.com.sg/cgi-bin/bible/vines/get_defn.pl?num=215

Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words

B1. Baptism, Baptist, Baptize [Verb]

baptizo "to baptize," primarily a frequentative form of bapto, "to dip," was used among the Greeks to signify the dyeing of a garment, or the drawing of water by dipping a vessel into another, etc. Plutarchus uses it of the drawing of wine by dipping the cup into the bowl (Alexis, 67) and Plato, metaphorically, of being overwhelmed with questions (Euthydemus, 277 D).

It is used in the NT in Luke_11:38 of washing oneself (as in 2_Kings_5:14, "dipped himself," Sept.); see also Isaiah_21:4, lit., "lawlessness overwhelms me." In the early chapters of the four Gospels and in Acts_1:5; Acts_11:16; Acts_19:4, it is used of the rite performed by John the Baptist who called upon the people to repent that they might receive remission of sins. Those who obeyed came "confessing their sins," thus acknowledging their unfitness to be in the Messiah's coming kingdom. Distinct form this is the "baptism" enjoined by Christ, Matt_28:19, a "baptism" to be undergone by believers, thus witnessing to their identification with Him in death, burial and resurrection, e.g., Acts_19:5; Rom_6:3,4; 1_Cor_1:13-17; 1_Cor_12:13; Gal_3:27; Col_2:12. The phrase in Matt_28:19, "batizing them into the Name" (RV; cp. Acts_8:16, RV), would indicate that the "baptized" person was closely bound to, or became the property of, the one into whose name he was "batized."

In Acts_22:16 it is used in the Middle Voice, in the command given to Saul of Tarsus, "arise and be baptize," the significance of the Middle Voice form being "get thyself baptized." The experience of those who were in the ark at the time of the Flood was a figure or type of the facts of spiritual death, burial, and resurrection, Christian "baptism" being an antitupon, "a corresponding type," a "like figure," 1_Pet_3:21. Likewise the nation of Israel was figuratively baptized when made to pass through the Red Sea under the cloud, 1_Cor_10:2. The verb is used metaphorically also in two distinct senses: firstly, of "baptism" by the Holy Spirit, which took place on the Day of Pentecost; secondly, of the calamity which would come upon the nation of the Jews, a "baptism" of the fire of Divine judgment for rejection of the will and word of God, Matt_3:11; Luke_3:16.

See also : baptizo in other topics

• Chalam
    Chalam

baptism, according to the Greek text, requires full immersion

Ah Spike, good stuff, well make a greek scholar of you before the day is out :)

baptizo

So, for your bonus theological question, why does baptism in water and the Spirit both involve getting drenched in water?

All the best,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit