birds

by John Doe 53 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

Holy double posting mania Batman!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Cockatoos are also very possessive. If you have a girlfriend, it will not like her.

Very true. Rocco hates women. He hisses at my sisters too. He also hates children.

W

• parakeet
    parakeet
    I'm thinking about going with a parakeet.......Parakeets are looking good.

Thank you for the compliment, JD!

I've owned birds since I was four years old. The list includes finches, canaries, parakeets (budgies), cockatiels, grey-cheeked parakeet, a sun conure, and an African grey parrot.

Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that no matter how hard one tries to give captive birds a good life, at heart they're still wild (especially the larger parrots). They require incredible amounts of time and attention to keep them even marginally contented with their lot. I believe birds, especially parrots, belong in the wild. Confinement, no matter how comfortable we try to make it, is an unnatural and cruel state for a parrot or parakeet.

I suggest reading "Of Parrots and People," by Mira Tweti, before deciding to buy a bird.

If you decide to go ahead and buy a parakeet, get two of the same sex to keep each other company if you work during the day. Parakeets are flock animals and their little spirits will wither and die if deprived of companionship for the better part of the day.

• parakeet
    parakeet

One more thing, JD. Birds cannot tolerate the fumes given off by Teflon and Teflon-like materials. They will drop dead in minutes if you heat anything that has Teflon on it -- cookware, irons, waffle irons, range drip pans, etc. You also can't use self-cleaning ovens, as the fumes given off at very high temperatures will poison them. If you accidentally burn the toast or scorch something on the stove that results in smoke, get your bird into a smoke-free room at once. Close the door and seal any gaps with rolled-up towels.

Also verboten are for ammonia cleaners, bleach cleaners, room deodorizers, scented candles, perfumes, and anything else with strong scents and/or fumes. Birds' respiratory systems are very different from ours, and what we don't even notice will kill them. That's why coal miners took canaries into the mines. If gas started building up, the canary died, which usually gave miners enough time to get out before the levels became toxic to them.

• John Doe
  • Dagney
    Dagney

Oh my god, that is adorable! Don Giovani?

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Because babies don't taste like chicken in case I get hungry. ;-)

There's that, and the fact that you can't lock them in a cage, feed them water and seeds, and have them poop on newspapers.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I love Love Birds. My last bird was a Monk (or Quaker) Parrot. Those are great! Try to get a chick so you can hand raise it, that makes for the sweetest birds. But be careful, they like to be in charge! Mine would get too big for his britches. I called him "el capitan".

JD!!!! An african grey is the most loving, intelligent bird you could ever own.

They are, and they are so intelligent they can easily get psychological problems if you don't care for them right emotionally.

BTS

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    There's that, and the fact that you can't lock them in a cage, feed them water and seeds, and have them poop on newspapers.

Well, I'm not so sure about the newspaper part.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Yet another post, JD. Parrots/parakeets cannot subsist for long solely on packaged bird feeds and pellets. Every day, they must have fresh fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts and other nutritious foods. Your vet may also recommend a vitamin/mineral supplement. Try to find an avian vet, who will have specialized knowledge of bird medicine and care.

Avocado, chocolate, perches made of poisonous woods can kill your bird. The bird should never be given any junk food or alcoholic beverages.

Be resigned to the fact that your floors will never again look clean. As quickly as you clean them up, your parrot/keet will be dropping bits of food, feathers, down feather dust, seed hulls and, well, droppings, which dry nearly instantly, turn into concrete, and must be scraped off the floor. I clean my floors at least once a day, twice when my parrot is especially active. Be prepared for some "interior redecorating." Parrots like to chew, and the corners of your furniture and cabinets may soon show the signs of beak activity. Don't punish the bird for this. It's a natural behavior, Provide the bird with plenty of chewable toys and he may leave the furniture alone.

They need lots of clean water for drinking and for bathing. Some vets recommend misting your bird with clean water every day. Other birds prefer a shallow dish to splash and jump around in.

If you get a young bird, take it with you often when you drive (with windows up!). This will habituate the bird to riding in the car without stress. Your life will be much easier if you need to take the bird along on long trips.

There's so much more to tell about parrots/keets. Buy as many books you can get about different species to decide which is the best one for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit