birds

by John Doe 53 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Why don't you just make a baby? $0.

Because babies don't taste like chicken in case I get hungry. ;-)

• restrangled
    restrangled

JD!!!! An african grey is the most loving, intelligent bird you could ever own. Look in your local paper instead of a petshop. Consider an African grey Timneh, a smaller version, a little cheaper, and from another area..... I had one for years. They have the intelligence of a 5 year old human. I bought mine for $300.00.

They bond to you like a child, and their personalities are so endearing. They are extremely social, read your moods, and actually will carry on a conversation of sorts. They know exactly what you are talking about. Make appropriate sounds such as laughter or "rasberries", or say bullshixt, if they think you are exagerating, call for other pets, ask for kisses, tell you they love you etc. They love to be next to you on your shoulder and will make sweet nuzzling sounds in your ear.

On the other hand, they cannot be cooped up in a small cage, they love to sit on top of it and be in the center of things. When you cook they love to get little tastes of fruit, vegs., etc.,....no meat. All birds create a lot of dust, and debris around their cages which have to be cleaned everyday to keep them healthy. You cannot cook with aluminum in your kitchen with a bird....it gives off some kind of toxin.

The bird should have lots of toys which may have to be introduced one at a time, depending on the personality.

Anyway, if you have any questions about African Grey birds, I can help.

R.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Sorry Jd, just a few more things.....

My Timneh use to call the cat over in my exact voice, climb down off of his cage and chase him. When he got him with a good nip on his tail, he'd laugh like crazy.

He also use to divebomb my youngest boy from off his cage. He realized my youngest was about the same age as his brain level (4) at the time....true sibling rivalry.

He could speak full sentences, and probably over 150 words. He knew who everyone was, what vistors he loved, or despised. His big trick was to say, "Hey, come here!" The person would instantly approach and he would promptly try to take a good nip out of those humans he disliked. The ones he loved, he would say "give me a kiss", and then put his large black beak up to their face and make a kiss sound.

I've had other birds, never measured up to the African Grey.

They are a whole lot of fun if you have the time and energy.....just like any pet.

If you don't have the time or patience.....get a fish tank.

r.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I HAD A PARAKEET...I trained it to say "Jehovah!"" Armeggedon's Coming,"

I knew at least two other people that did that. Do you feel guilty for indoctrinating a helpless animal into a cult?

• John Doe
    John Doe

R, sounds like a character.

I checked my paper, and there aren't many animals in it. I'll keep an eye out though.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I knew at least two other people that did that. Do you feel guilty for indoctrinating a helpless animal into a cult?

Birds don't mind armageddon. They're looking forward to getting their bellies filled.

W

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Please be careful of a cockatiel - we had one and gave it attention all day, every day. It was never enough, and it screeched all the time.

The two of them should get along just fine, then.

Tee hee hee.

Sylvia

• Robdar
    Robdar

There are some marvelous green conures at the local pet shop, but I'm reading that these are demanding, can be noisy, and are prone to biting.

I'm thinking about going with a parakeet.

Conures are very noisey. So are parrots and cockatoos. Cockatoos are also very possessive. If you have a girlfriend, it will not like her.

My son had a sweet little parakeet. It was no trouble and made little noise.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I did find this on craigslist, and I do have an old truck I could trade. . .

http://fayar.craigslist.org/bar/1209668547.html

• John Doe
    John Doe

If you have a girlfriend, it will not like her.

Might be interesting watching a chick and a bird fight.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit