People STILL believe in Demons and Ghosts on this site...bloody 16th Century rubbish!

by Witness 007 74 Replies latest jw experiences

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Why don't some of you "skeptics" google "Ghosts" and read every first-hand account.
    Then, go ahead and "explain" them, "scientifically", of course.

If something can't be explained scientifically, does that mean it's ok to assume it was a ghost? You don't think that's a big leap? Why don't we have objective, verifiable evidence for ghosts? (Hint: anecdotes don't count as objective evidence.)

Look up the "argument from ignorance" logical fallacy.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I have trouble believing that Australia exists because I've never seen it, and there's no reference to it in the bible either.

W

• rebel8
    rebel8

There is nothing wrong, or unscientific, about accepting ghosts as one of the possible explanations of unexplained phenomena.

There is something wrong with assuming it's ghosts and discarding the rest of the list of possible explanations.

There is something wrong with insisting it's ghosts when a much more plausible, easily replicated explanation exists.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Warlock,

Working in a psych hospital turned me from mystic to skeptic, because I was an eye witness to the power of the mind.

I saw a patient with hysterical paralysis. He truly believed his legs could not walk. All tests were negative. As soon as we counseled him about the stressors going on in his life--which he conveniently avoided by not being able to walk--he instantly came out of his wheelchair. He still believes he was really paralyzed.

I saw several women give birth to invisible Baby Jesuses, some postmenopausal, all not pregnant. They had labor pains, did Lamaze breathing, etc.

The staff perpetuated lots of folklore about psych patients being possessed by demons or having magical powers. One, said to have the bionic hearing ability, always wanted to have the same room when admitted. Viola, the meeting room where staff discussed patients was connected to her room by an air duct that allowed for easy surveillance.

Another was said to have supernatural strength and 10 staff persons could not control her outbursts. I saw staff easily control her outbursts for years.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Give 'em a break 007. If everybody was a critical thinker, I wouldn't have anyone to sell my glass bead... I mean.. "Magic Crystals" to for $12 a pop, and then I'd be out 50k a year. They're magic!

Seriously, people will believe this sort of thing to the end of time. Humans are social creatures, and as such, we are prone to personify everything. When our computer crashes, we personify it, and attribute it a motive.

Likewise, when something happens that we don't understand, our brain's tendency is to immediately personify that unknown to be the result of some thinking rational force. We assume that everything that happens has a purpose - that a curtain wouldn't move for any reason other than to frighten us.

- Lime

• Warlock
    Warlock

I'll tell you what, all of you "skeptics", you say you had certain negative experiences while in the Org?

Well, I don't believe you.

You are either imagining these things, or you are delusional.

Maybe there are completely logical and/or scientific explanations for your experiences. Maybe you just "thought" what happened to you.

By the way, I've never seen Mozart, Bach, Napoleon, Genghis Khan and many others that "supposedly" existed in history. Maybe they all went to Australia.

Warlock

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Someone mentioned they heard their dead cat MEOWING the next night...OH GOD are you serious! Now pets are coming back from the dead! Yes, you can throw a ball to your dead Lassie. {Could it have been your mind?} CROP CIRCLES WARLOCK? Wind or storm phenomonon, earth's magnetic filed, an army of angry Beavers!....why UFO'S? Proof? Ghost hunters film dust "Orbs" as proof???? They don't do anything...just float like dust.... NASA footage of space particles and lens distortions due to distance are said to be a huge army fleet of hundreds of UFO'S!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I'll tell you what, all of you "skeptics", you say you had certain negative experiences while in the Org?

Actually I didn't really have negative experiences in the org. I left because I stopped believing the fairy tales. In any case, would it really be "extraordinary" for someone to say that they had a bad experience?

The amount of evidence we demand for something is directly related to how extraordinary the claim is. If you claim you had a burger for lunch, sure, we'll accept that at face value. But if you claim Lucky the Leprechaun slid down a magic rainbow and gave you a hamburger, then hey, we'll want more proof.

I've never seen Mozart, Bach, Napoleon, Genghis Khan and many others that "supposedly" existed in history.

Certain humans existing in the past isn't that big of a claim. The evidence for their existence is enough to satisfy most people that they were real. Now if someone said Zeus was a real god that existed in ancient Greece, wouldn't that require a bit more evidence?

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Working in a psych hospital turned me from mystic to skeptic, because I was an eye witness to the power of the mind.

Rebel,

I'm not talking about whether people think they are "possesed" or not, and, for 007, I'm not talking about crop circles either.

Warlock

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Are you as sure about all other unproven phenomena?
    Space Aliens, Crop Circles, ??

Wait, what? Some people think crop circles are still a mystery?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit