ouija board

by The-Borg 170 Replies latest jw friends

• Warlock
    Warlock
    No, you weren't. You obviously believe ouija boards are supernatural and there's something to it.

So who are YOU to say what "we" were expecting?

Are you a mind reader?

Or are you suggesting I am liar?

Warlock

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    Or are you suggesting I am liar?

I imagine the facts of your experience are correct (though some are possibly exaggerated to support your argument). It is the conclusion you insist upon that I suspect as faulty. (This sort of 'defense' is of course, a logical fallacy.)

Absolutely NO test ever done has supported the idea that these spiritual encounters are real. The US government invested hundreds of millions of dollars into this kind of metaphysical stuff, and couldn't find anything that demonstrated special knowlege better than random chance. (Seriously, look into these experiments, and critically compare the actual results to your own experience.)

- Lime

• Warlock
    Warlock
    I imagine the facts of your experience are correct (though some are possibly exaggerated to support your argument).

Which ones, since you, and others, seem to know more about my experiences than I do, even though you were not there, you do not know the people involved, you don't know where these things took place, you don't even know what any of us believed at that time.

So tell me, please.

Warlock

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

People exaggerate all the time. It is a fact of life. The story about your family member is not first-hand, it is second hand. It is not unreasonable that some exaggeration or embelishment has been introduced to the facts either by your family member or yourself.

As a child, I remember opening my bedroom door while my brother sat reading in bed, and hearing my parents engaging in a conversation. My father said "Did they call the police? NO. They put the body in the back of the trunk, and..." and at that point, I closed my bedroom door in shock. Now the catch is, my brother, recalling the same story recalls the event differently. In his version, he was the one opening the bedroom door, while I was I was in my bed. Which one of us is correct?

Over and over again, studies have shown that human testimony is the least reliable of all forms of evidence.

Human testimony DOES NOT MAKE FACT. And just because you may say something that is slightly skewered or exaggerated does not make you a liar. It makes you a typical human with a mind that doesn't always notice and record every detail significant to the question at hand.

So forgive me if I do NOT believe your conclusion, or even some of the facts you present in your second-hand account. But please stop taking it as a personal attack, and realize that if I described seeing a fairy sitting on a unicorn in my back yard yesterday does not mean that I really SAW a unicorn, or that I am a liar. The mental models of the physical world that we build inside our heads and the conclusions we reach based on not 100% reliable. It is a simple fact of life. You are not a liar, you are a human.

To find TRUTH, we have to gather what physical evidence we can about a particular event, and build a model of the event that the known presentable facts agree with. In all carefully observed and recorded experiences involving metaphysics, including the Oujia board... there has been absolutely no evidence whatsoever that anything supernatural has occured. In each case, there is a documented, demonstratable, repeatable, limited, and rational force which can be used to explain a particular outcome.

- Lime

• Warlock
    Warlock
    The story about your family member is not first-hand, it is second hand.

I can have him call you.

Other than that account, and the one that named my cousins wife, I USED THE BOARD! MORE THAN ONCE! IN FACT, MANY TIMES! IT MOVED AND WE DID NOT MOVE IT!

I ALSO HAVE SOME FIRST HAND ACCOUNTS THAT WOULD SCARE THE SHIT OUT OF YOU, BUT IT DOES NOT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE TO PEOPLE LIKE YOU. I COULD HAVE PICTURES AND VIDEOS AND YOU STILL WOULD NOT BELIEVE. I DON'T CARE IF YOU DO, OR DON'T.

JUST BECAUSE THE WATCHTOWER GOT INTO YOUR HEAD, DON'T TELL ME WHAT I HAVE SEEN, HEARD, OR DONE.

DON'T TRY TO EXPLAIN BECAUSE YOU-WERE-NOT-THERE!

Warlock

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Its called an incidence of fate Warlock, this does occur in the real world on occasion.

Another thing you might want to look into one day is intellectual honesty,

something Warlocks and religionists deliberately have separated themselves from.

You have bat wings so use them and fly away to find out what I'm talking about.

• rebel8
    rebel8

At the risk of escalating the war over who gets to kiss me in a non-French manner, I'd like to notify the forum of the following easy path to riches.

Simply design a method to prove the supernatural exists, and you get $1 million. That's right, you even get to design the measurement tool.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I don't have to "present" anything, to anyone. YOU are the one who has to prove that your little science experiment applies to every case.

It's up to those making the claim to present the facts and convince others. The ones that remain skeptical and unconvinced until evidence is presented are the ones that don't have to do anything. Those that believe aliens visit the earth might use the same thinking you do: "It's up to you skeptics to prove that each and every UFO encounter wasn't real!" No, that's not how it works. How about at least one believer present some objective, verifiable evidence that aliens have actually been here?

So "you think" and "probably", but you don't really know.

I don't know the specifics. I was speculating. But it is a pretty reasonable speculation in my opinion. Where's the objective, verifiable evidence? Personal anecdotes don't count for anything when it's the only "evidence."

So who are YOU to say what "we" were expecting? Are you a mind reader? Or are you suggesting I am liar?

I'm not calling you a liar; I just think you've been duped by the experience as have most others who believe they work. I'm not a mind reader, I was just using deductive reasoning: You obviously believe there's something to ouija boards, so of course you're going to conclude that you didn't move the planchette and it moved on its own. Ok, do the same thing without putting your hands on it. If it can move on its own without the need for hands, then that should work, right?

I ALSO HAVE SOME FIRST HAND ACCOUNTS THAT WOULD SCARE THE SHIT OUT OF YOU, BUT IT DOES NOT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE TO PEOPLE LIKE YOU. I COULD HAVE PICTURES AND VIDEOS AND YOU STILL WOULD NOT BELIEVE. I DON'T CARE IF YOU DO, OR DON'T.

Because first hand experiences (anecdotes) are useless when there is no other evidence to support the claim. Take aliens for example... lots of "first hand experiences" about abductions. No objective, verificable evidence. Lots of blurry pictures and videos, but those are unconvincing at best and are faked.

Where's the objective, verifiable evidence, Warlock? EVERY real phenomenon has at least something. Why doesn't the ouija board?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Used one once.....ONCE! We asked who was there and the name ....."C.T R.U.S.S.E.L" came up and "1.9.1.4 B.U.L.L C.R.A.P" ....then R.U.T.H.E.R.F.O.R.D W.H.I.S.K.E.Y P.L.E.A.S.E.....these demons fought in my kitchen all night till I soaked the board in Circuit Oversears Piss {holy water}

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

And Warlock, please watch the video rebel8 posted on page 2. And please watch this one. At the very least they will help you understand where we're coming from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPqerbz8KDc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit