Questioning me as an apostate

by God_Delusion 69 Replies latest watchtower bible

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

I am an active JW. I was born in the "truth" (I really feel uncomfortable calling it that) and am now married to a witness.

For a year now, I have actually come to see that the GB are just business-psychologists. Anyone who views Jehovah's Witnesses as a religion and not a cult, really needs to evaluate their way of thinking and they also need to look up the definition of the word "cult".

Anyway, my parents recently came over on holiday (they live in another country and are also residents of Bethel). I explained some of my doubts to my father. For example, I explained to him that the whole story about this Noah chap was complete tosh. I went onto explain that it would have been impossible for all the animals involved to have travelled such distances especially as most of them live on specific diets that can only be found in their own habitat.

My father kindly noted that we don't know the ins and outs of Jehovah's thinking. Fair enough; doctors are also still baffled at Charles Manson's reasoning to.

My parents contacted my elders just before they flew home and told them that I may be turning in an apostate (thanks a lot mum & dad, I really owe you one).

Two elders arranged to meet with me this week. I ran the same argument by them. I was told that Jehovah must have used a miracle, and countless miracles to have allowed such a thing to happen (Noah's ark). I told them that if that was the case, and Jehovah used miracles, surely the bible would have said something.

Goodness me, they didn't like that! "Your thinking is in line with apostates", was their response. I continued. We read the "God is love" scripture at my request. I asked;

"How can Jehovah be a God of love if he allowed millions of animals to die during the flood?". The following was their response;

"Maybe Jehovah doesn't view animals the way we do. Maybe it's our imperfection kicking in that makes us love them."

You what??!! Did I just hear right??? I couldn't help myself.

I've been lucky enough to have watched the Watchtower Comments videos (thanks V; I also have a sneaky suspicion of who you are and if I am right, then "Like to get to Sesame Street" may inform you of who I am) and so I started to bombard them with questions. None could be answered.

In the end, I was told that if I make my doubts public knowledge, a judicial would need to be arranged as it is a very serious sin to speak of and question the GB.

At that point, I asked them to leave.

I am now working on my wife. She has started to open her mind and I can see her seeing the wood through trees sometime soon.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome to the forum!

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi and welcome aboard!

For sure "the truth" needs to be renamed! I propse using the lieā„¢ from now onwards? What do you think?

All the best,

Stephen

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

It always flat amazes me when a born in can see through the bullsh*t of the WB&TS. I wasn't a born in, was df'd over events surrounding me leaving a dangerously abusive jw husband, and it still took me almost 13 years out of the borg to see it for what it really is! Good for you and good luck with your wife. Can't wait to hear more from you.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Isn't it amazing that Jehovah's loving shepherds would rush to "kill" you for asking questions?

Expulsion and shunning are like a loaded gun, pointed at your head. If they DF you, they steal your reptation and possibly your family and friends.

• awildflower
    awildflower

How 'bout the 'Dupe' instead of 'Truth'.......wf

• sacolton
    sacolton

I'm surprised you didn't touch on the many false prophecies made by the Watchtower since it's beginning. Have you researched Beth Sarim? Charles Taze Russell's "Miracle Wheat" and his strange relationship with his step-daughter Rose Ball? 607 BCE? 1975? Oh, the list goes on and on ...

• reniaa
    reniaa

hmmm doubting the noah story is basic stuff its for people who don't understand the whole point of believing in God. Absense of evidence is not evidence of lack, Just because the bible doesn't give details of the in and outs of how God did it, doesn't mean it couldn't be doneI

If scientists were to do a noah's ark today they would do something like just taking a number cryogenetically frozen embryo's of various species and implant them in a host animal to grow inside although I think they are still working on this, its a doable possibility of the future.

It sounds like your going down evolutionary route doubting God, but evolution has it own set of unanswerable questions, species jumping it still an issue for them as well as abiogenesis, they cannot find how life happenned from nothing.

If you read Daniel it very clearly shows that angels are very active around humans and the planet, the could have easily transported the animals to noah. Without the bible to give us more detail your asking for answers were there are none. The bible only describes what happens not how God did it. Goodness it doesn't explain beyond saying Jesus had holy spirit how he did the miracles he did.

Faith in anything is a very straight forward thing and unfortunately needs at some point a suspension of disbelief.

To believe in God you have to accept he can do miraculous things like flood the planet and get all the animals on the ark.

To believe in evolution you have to believe life can just happen spontaneously at some point in the past with no light heat or anything to start it.

Reniaa

• VM44
    VM44

So if one asks hard questions, a judicial committee has to be formed?

Does that make any sense?

It is somewhat telling about the true nature of the JWs!

• VM44
    VM44

Just becaue one find's the story of Noah and the Ark implausible doesn't mean one believes in evolution.

It might just well be possible that the story of Noah wasn't meant as history, but just as a story with a moral!

Only later did the religionist convert it from fiction to history!

This is what happened to the story of Jonah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit