The Pacific Northwest

by compound complex 92 Replies latest jw experiences

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Hello CC:

Seeing all the naked parade participants really bothered them. They didn't appreciate the artistic content of the bodypainting. :)

For those who might be interested...

http://imageevent.com/pmattf/fremont

• Masterji
    Masterji

TMS,

Forget the sign.

Use it as a marker.

M

• compound complex
    compound complex

Our paths should not have crossed. Not at this time. Not at this place.

He was in Paris (no, not that Paris), and I was headed for Vashon Island in the Puget Sound. The water was considerably choppier than I had remembered from years earlier. I had forgotten to take the requisite Dramamine. I can't even manage a carnival ride without major nausea. So it shouldn't have surprised me then that I "went by rail," the old ferry bobbing deliriously like a cork. Am I digressing? The paths that crossed. Yes.

We green ferry passengers finally made it to shore. The waves were merciless and the old tub nearly took out a section of dolphins before mooring. I was never so glad to hit the shore, and hit it we did. Once on the dock, I dodged the hustle and bustle as best I could, but how do you stop a tidal wave? I simply wanted to flag down a cab and get to the old Henderson place. Settle in with Betty and Don. They would be glad to see me, I them.

It had been too many years.

I got jostled - not the usual or expected jostled - so abruptly that my grip fell to the splintered deck and I lost my balance. Before I completed my tumble forward, I felt a firm clasp on my shoulder. Suspended animation, the descent abruptly arrested. As I regained my composure and a measure of dignity lost, I turned around to thank the stranger who stopped my fall.

It was no stranger ...

It was my big "little" brother Stan.

• compound complex
    compound complex

bttt for ilovebirthdays!

CoCo

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

I've lived here all my life, and sometimes I easily get tired of living here, but it is threads like this that remind me that this really is the place to be.

• compound complex
    compound complex

It's been over 40 years for me and I want to return, especially to see Vashon Island [see post 6388]. Thanks much, Ilove, for the reminder!

Regards,

CoCo

• White Dove
    White Dove

Summer there is the polar opposite of winter. Winter: cold (30's and 40's), rainy, dark. Summer: warm in the 80's with a couple of days to a week of 105+ temps, sunny, bright with nights in the 50's. No rain in the summer. That is what fall (40's and 50's), winter 30's and 40's), and spring

(60's and 70's) are for. It's only bright for about 2 1/2 months out of the year. I lived in Carson and Vancouver, WA. Carson is smack dab in the middle of the Columbia River Gorge where Twilight was really filmed (in Cascade Lockes (across from Carson) and St. Helens, OR on the OR side of

the river). You can see the Bridge of the Gods (crossed it several times for bookstudy), that water fall (been there a lot), and Beacon Rock several times in the movie Twilight. I've climbed it about three times. Go to the Space Needle in Seattle and look at the Sound on a sunny day. It'll take

your breath away. I'm moving to Phoenix, AZ (have a friend there) to get away from anything cold and wet. I love the desert much more than living in the PNW. The PNW is so worth visiting even though I hated every minute of living there. Take a motorcycle ride down the WA side of the river

through the gorge. That is a real trip! I really love that strange glow in the sky...that's the sun, right? I've only heard about it. ;)

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, White Dove:

Sounds beautiful. I would love to return, but the gray, drippy skies can be too much. I grew up on the California Pacific coast and soon got tired of the foggy summers. Rain I like, yet it can likewise get to you all too quickly.

Thanks for sharing!

CoCo Coastal

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

I guess this thread really celebrates our differences in preference. I've always been in love with the rain. It is invigorating, and I just seem to have more energy when it is here. I was in AZ once in October, and the Phoenix area just about killed me. I have fond memories of Sedona and the Grand Canyon, but pretty much spent the entire time in Phoenix running between those cooling stations that sprayed water on you.

I will never, ever tire of the gorge. I don't know how many times a year we go, but it never gets old, and I hope my children have the same love for it when they get older.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Ilove:

Thanks for your latest comments. When returning from a hot and dusty LA decades ago, I recall how much we loved the fog rolling in off the Pacific at Big Sur. We rolled down the windows to let in Nature's AC. Guess I love the sun, love the rain, love the ...

Below is a snippet from a published story I wrote last year about my 'hood. Hope you enjoy it.

CoCo

Tenderly embracing the expansive green were rolling hills whose dusty lumber had been washed clean by the previous evening's downpour. What arrested my gaze, however, was the brilliant light from an otherwise watery sun that flooded Miner's Point in pearly opalescence.

A genuine showstopper. Late this afternoon was a perfect time to have remained indoors and curled up in front of the fireplace with a good read. Possessing many a good book but no obvious fireplace, I had to bolt. Cabin fever had gotten the better of me, so I put on a brave face and raincoat and dashed headlong into the spitty, blustery, darkening remains of daylight hours. Drawn along the same path as yesterday, I surged forward, my frame a near-horizontal incline against the punishing gale. As I approached a lone house, I sought shelter under its eaves, which afforded little more than minor relief from the rain but virtually none from the wildly circulating winds. I didn't mind. I knew what lay ahead the moment I stepped out my own front door. Once again my attention fixed on a Miner's Point now enveloped in a wild and woolly atmospheric condition so different from that of the day before. Undulating foothills and their timber roiled in a sea of cascading and sprinting vapors. A barely discernible mountain pass was in evidence only because a string of diamond-like automobile headlights was flowing down the distant roadway, cradled within sloping walls of earth, stone and tree. I've never before been this soaked to the bone and loved it so ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit