Going Gray...would you dare?

by restrangled 55 Replies latest jw friends

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Silver toners work in a similar way to white toners only they are blue based rather than violet based. It cancels out the yellowness in the hair but also dyes it a very very pale shade of blue to give it a silvery look.

Since toners are like a very weak dye, they will only work on very light hair. If your hair isn't light enough not much will happen.

There are a number of white and silver toners around. The easiest to use are the ones made by the same companies that make unnatural coloured dyes. LaRiché Directions makes both white and silver toners and this is applied like any other semi-permanent. You can leave it on your hair for a few hours but one hour is usually plenty. Special Effects make an excellent white toner (the best I've tried) but be careful to follow the development time as it has a tendency to colour the hair violet. Other toners come in liquid form and can be applied by dabbing it onto the hair using cotton buds. Be careful as these are often setting lotions as well as toners.

.... schwartzkopf Igora Royal to make quite a strong silver. You can buy this at beauty supply shops but be aware that you buy the colour and the developer separately. The correct mixture for silver (and not the blue that his hair was first coloured) is 6 parts "platinum" and 1 part "anti-orange concentrate". I mixed that with 30 volume peroxide though you can use 10 or 20 volume if your hair is weak. This will produce a very pale silvery white colour.

And you can always use a silver shampoo to get rid of the yellow tones.

R...grey hair can be ugly if its growing out surrounded by yellow tones. I would suggest doing some treatments to "wash out" the yellows and maybe even give it an all over silver tone. That, to me, looks better than grey-yellow hair or salt and pepper. The above was copied. I have not tried it myself.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I'm still waiting to go grey, I am in my 60's and they are taking their time coming in...I wish it would hurry up as people see me from the back and think I am younger with my long brown ponytail..then they see the front...

My sister in law turned silver at a young age, I think she should keep her hair dyed for a while. She looks so much nicer with it colored. But she opted to let it grow out. I guess I would think twice about putting chemicals on my head all the time also.

Snoozy

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

JD is Woooooing the ladies??..Thats a frigg`n first!!....................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• Dagney
    Dagney

That was really sweet John.

I too think silver and white hair is beautiful. It's just that in-between time until we get there is very annoying.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I don't say things to be sweet guys, I say things to be truthful. Here, see for yourselves. This is mom in the 1960's.

This is mom exactly one month before she died, eaten up with cancer and in a lot of pain. I don't know how she managed to smile. Notice the silver hair:

• restrangled
    restrangled

it is hard to know what to do. I have very long hair. The last time it was done, the girl said I had perfect beach hair.

accck...1 hour later I am in the middle of keeping my hair baby blond. someday....i will go gray but not today.

r

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Restrangled, you could always try the all-over silvery look and then change it if you feel you're not ready yet.

The lighting in the bathroom where I work is the only place I can see gray hair. So about once a month when I see one laughing at me, I'll stand there for 30 minutes trying to pluck that one damn hair. And then, of course, act casual when anyone walks in. I wonder how the hairs get to be full length without my noticing?

My dad was almost entirely gray and then went on the McDougal diet (vegan with no fat, not even cooking oil). His hair turned back to black. I've always meant to do research about that, but never have.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

JD - beautiful pics. I hope to be graceful about it someday as well.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Jd your mom was beauty ....I am sorry you lost her.

r.

• restrangled
    restrangled

just finished my dye job....as soft as silk, but it won't last. It feels like the hair I had as a teenager. Why can't these companies allow us to maintain that texture. They know how, but won't let it happen.... have to leave to let my husband enjoy the same...take care all.

Thank you JD for sharing about your mom.....she was a beauty at every stage in her life.

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit