Must see video on Youtube where a JW is clearly defeated on the trinity subject...

by Tuesday 347 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Will Power,

Nice post :)

I quickly came to a similar conclusion from Genesis that having been made in God's image, I am one but made up of three parts

trichotomy (philosophy)

The whole area has fascinated me.

Do you see "the mind" as the soul?

Thessalonians 5:23 (New International Version)

23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I am still getting to grips with what the bible is referring to when it talks of "the heart" and such. For example is that the one's spirit of one's soul or both? This verse seems to have the answer.

Hebrews 4:12 (New International Version)

12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

All the best,

Stephen

• Will Power
    Will Power

Will this debate ever be solved one way or the other?

The whole problem with trying to fit the universal, spiritual and inspirational concepts of the bible into hard, rigid, physical boundaries of the human mind, AND claim exclusive knowledge of such, you loose the essence of the writings entirely.

It is then impossible to look at the forest for the trees so to speak. You become locked into what we have here in this thread. Us vs Them, GOD / a god, stories to explain the inexplainable - literal white horses coming from heaven - aaaak might be ok to use for the spiritually immature, but at some point it's time to move on.

The bible is quite clear on putting faith in the physical - it will perish - the flesh will not survive - time to embrace the spiritual side of REALITY - GOD.

Chalam

Heb 4:12

I think of the Christ-like virtues as my own feedback.

without feedback I develop problems, breakdowns, and dysfunction. (my need for community)

inner feedback - that gut feeling - my conscience (my need for humility, authenticity, and responsibility)

As our human race develops a collective conscience we all grow in integrity. (more Christ-like)

The list of "developments" is staggering. Things acceptable in ancient history is no longer tolerated. And in 25 years our polluting & wasteful habits will be looked upon as barbaric and possibly even a sin!

• Pilchard
    Pilchard

isaacaustin: The Bible does not show Jesus to be a firstborn (as in first created) son....not when you understand the terms firstborn and son as they mean to the Jews. His son-ship is an identity...son of God- showing his godship....son of man- showing his humanity...

Pilchard:

What trinitarians really mean is that as long as you change the definition of the word "firstborn" to mean something that no longer contradicts trinity theory then you can remove one of the most obvious Bible objections.

• Pilchard
    Pilchard

Mad Dawg wrote:

Ummm, Pilchard, are you a Mormon? Seriously. This is exactly what Mormons teach. That there are many gods, but we only have one of the many for ourselves. Are you or have you ever been a JW? You do realize that if you believe that if there are many gods, regardless of whether or not we worship them, you are a polytheist, right?

Pilchard replies:

That is what the Bible teaches. I only care what the Bible says rather then some fancy words like "polytheist".

The Bible teaches that there are many gods, so that is what I believe. The Bible teaches that we must worship only one god so that is what I believe.

booby wrote:

Pilchard. Are all humans the progeny of adam and eve? If so and I think they are then of whom are these genuine, bona-fide gods the progeny of and if it is Jehovah which it seems they must be what does this tell us? Just a question I have.

Pilchard replies:

Jehovah created all the angels and they are referred to as 'gods' in the Hebrew text Ps 8:5.

Jesus is referred to as a god in John 1:1.

Satan is called the 'god' of this world. Obviously he was created by Jehovah as an angel.

The Hebrew word for "god" means "mighty one". But to the Hebrews there is only one almighty "mighty one".

We get bogged down in our personal theological understanding of what "god" is but at the end of the day the first Christian's understanding of the word "theos" (god) is guided by the Hebrew understanding of the equivalent Hebrew word "el". It means simply "mighty one".

But all accounts Jesus is a "mighty one" or a god. But then so are all the angels.

From the perspective of the first century Christians also Satan, being a "mighty one" is aptly called a "god". Created angelic, turned demon.

So I would say all the angels and all the demons are all genuine examples of "gods" or "might ones".

And in addition to those there are things that men have falsely believed were 'gods'. Things that they believes had the powers of "mighty ones" but which did not. These are the idols and the statues in the image of false gods. They are lifeless and powerless. They are gods in name only.

besty wrote:

seems a strange approach given that this is a JW discussion forum, but perhaps speaks to the quality of the NWT?

In this case of the trinity and JW's the translation is a product of the doctrine - to disregard the effect of the NWT prevents you from engaging in a properly informed debate on the doctrine. No?

Pilchard replies:

I never use the NWT because I want to discus doctrine rather then get bogged down in "my bible is better than your bible" sidetracks.

There is no requirement to use the NWT to debate JW beliefs. Remember JW beliefs were developed a LONG time before they produced the NWT.

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Pilchard, my friend. Are you agreeing that you are a polytheist?

As far as I can tell the WTS beliefs only precede the NWT by, at most, about 80 years, and many came after the NWT. Is this what you consider a long time?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Pilchard:

What trinitarians really mean is that as long as you change the definition of the word "firstborn" to mean something that no longer contradicts trinity theory then you can remove one of the most obvious Bible objections.

My reply: Quite simply...look at the meaning of the word firstobrn as used in the Bible and you will see it does not always refer to birth order, but rather preeminance. Look at Gen 41:51

Joseph named the firstborn Manasseh, "For," he said, "God has made me forget all my trouble and all my father's household."

Comapre Jer 31:9:

"With weeping they will come, And by supplication I will lead them; I will make them walk by streams of waters, On a straight path in which they will not stumble; For I am a father to Israel, And Ephraim is My firstborn."

Look at psamls where David is called fistborn- he was literally the last one born. The entire context of Col 1 shows what is meant by 'firstborn'-

6 He is the image 7 of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.
    For in him 8 were created all things in heaven and on earth, the visible and the invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things were created through him and for him.
    He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
    He is the head of the body, the church. 9 He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things he himself might be preeminent.

Verse 18 should make plain what the meaning of firstborn means. So not a changing of the definition of a term to fit doctrine as you claim Pilchard- that is what the WT does. We look at what the word means, and let scripture define it if it has multiple meanings. Interestingly there is a Greek term for 'first-created' and that term is NEVER used regarding Jesus. This term used in Col can literally mean firstborn, can also denote preeminance...which the context of Col makes quite clear.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Pilchard replies:Jehovah created all the angels and they are referred to as 'gods' in the Hebrew text Ps 8:5.

My reply:

This is Ps 8:5

Ps 8:5 Yet You have made him a little lower than God, And You crown him with glory and majesty!

Where are angels referred to as gods here?

• Pilchard
    Pilchard

Mad Dawg:Pilchard, my friend. Are you agreeing that you are a polytheist?

Pilchard:

I am not any kind of "ist". If you wish to apply some label to me that's your choice.

The word "polytheist" has the distinct connotation of someone who worships multiple gods, even though the strict definition allows for people who only worship one god but acknowledge the existance of many.

So it is obvious you want to apply the strict definition to me that then allow the emotional weight of the perceived meaning to carry your argument for you.

I have no interest in debating using such tactics. The Bible speaks of many gods.

That is good enough for me. No one should be ignoring what the Bible actually says because of some tricky word.

So please keep your word. Do what you will with it. I'll stick with the Bible thanks.

• Pilchard
    Pilchard

isaacaustin: Where are angels referred to as gods here?

Pilchard:

You are arguing from a translation. The original Hebrew uses the word elohym (gods), not singular 'God'.

Some translations seem to use the word "angel" here in line with the LXX.

KJV:

Ps 8:5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.

Psalm 8:5 (New International Version)

5 You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
    and crowned him with glory and honor.

Psalm 8:5 (Amplified Bible)

5 Yet You have made him but a little lower than God [or heavenly beings], and You have crowned him with glory and honor.

Psalm 8:5 (Darby Translation)

5 Thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and splendour.

But the real killer for the translation "God" is the fact that Paul quotes this scripture in Hebrews:

Heb 2:7 You made him a little lower than the angels. You crowned him with glory and honor.

So clearly Paul considers the Hebrew word elohym (gods) to be properly translated into Greek as "angels" (aggelos).

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Strong's H430 - 'elohiym ?????

Transliteration

'elohiym

Pronunciation

el·o·hem' (Key)

Part of Speech

masculine noun

Root Word (Etymology)

plural of H433

TWOT Reference

93c

Outline of Biblical Usage

1) (plural)

a) rulers, judges

b) divine ones

c) angels

d) gods

2) (plural intensive - singular meaning)

a) god, goddess

b) godlike one

c) works or special possessions of God

d) the (true) God

e) God

I am not completely following your logic. Elohym can mean God, can mean angels. The point you are trying to make (I think) is that Elohym is translated as angels in some translation...but is unanimously translated as 'angels' in its application in Hebrews...It is clearly a term with multiple meanings. But beyond that ....Are the angels also called "Theos"...or better yet "Ho Theos"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit