Can demons repent?

by heyfea 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Secular humanism doesn't have the supernatural coercive element found in a good deal of Christian religion, really. No, Do THIS or ELSE! except a natural amount of social censure and consequence for naughtiness.

I'm sure most of that is about keeping the butts in the seats of a very expensive to maintain church building. *G*

I'm sometimes surprised I believe in anything religious at all, but alas, I do. Nothing too complicated though. I'm too wary and burned out for complicated theological acrobatics these days.

That's why the 1914 thing never got into my brain...too much math, and it's not even a good story problem.

Considering that the people who wrote the Bible probably couldn't even do higher math, I doubt they were writing down this obscure Bible hopscotch code so that sometime in the future Judge Rutherford could gaze into his scotch glass and divine it from the arrangment of the soda bubbles.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Burn

In the Thomistic tradition, they cannot; they will not. We can choose to repent, the demons do not. It is not a choice they will ever, ever make. The angels are from eternity, and beyond all time. Unlike ourselves, they know the truth without room for doubt. They made their decision in the very instant of their existence.

This looks just like what Calvinists believe about men (the reprobate), apart from God.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS now teaches that perfect individuals that choose sin cannot repent: examples, Adam, Eve, Satan, other "disobedient" angels.

Earlier they taught that Adam and Eve would be resurrected.

Just when Adam will be awakened, only the Lord knows. It may be early or it may be late during the period of restoration" (J. F. Rutherford, Reconciliation, 1928, pp. 323, 324).

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Blondie said: The WTS now teaches that perfect individuals that choose sin cannot repent

Of course, the bizarre irony of this belief is that perfect individuals cannot sin. The literal meaning of sinning is "missing the mark"; well how can one miss a mark if one is perfect? Methinks they are mis-using the word "perfect".

The whole concept of perfection (and omnipotence, for that matter) creates too many crumbling "absolutes".

• oompa
    oompa

this stuff is amazing.........oompa

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

This looks just like what Calvinists believe about men (the reprobate), apart from God.

That isn't quite an accident. Thomistic soteriology is actually very close to Calvinistic TULIP, but not quite to the extent. Catholics can actually be quite Calvinistic in their views, and be within the pale. Jansenism as one bookend, and Calvinsim on the other. James Akin explains here . As for my opinion, I believe Man cooperates with God, according to the gifts grace has bestowed on him.

I am more of a Molinist , myself. It is very similar to Arminianism, in Protestant theologies. I spent a time in a "Bible only" reformed, born-again group when I left the Witnesses. This was my first home. They were Calvinists, I kept my mouth (mostly) shut and considered myself Arminian.

I particularly admire John Wesly, who is to me a true Saint. His Free Grace discourse is beautiful.

BTS

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Funny - I asked the same question when I was a kid, and got much the same answer -- "Don't be a smartass!"

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Universalists believe that all angels and humans will eventually repent and not be able to resist good and love. I think it makes a lot of sense. I hope it's true that good will perfectly conquer evil.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I think they have to study the "Live Forever" book first....

• parakeet
    parakeet
    There is no possibility that demons can, or will be repentant......Repentance is for imperfect humans. A perfect creature's actions cannot be mistaken. Unlike humans, they rebelled against God with the full knowledge of the import of their actions.

Marjorie, didn't God himself, the uber-perfect deity, repent after drowning millions of men, women, children, and animals in the Flood?

God made a mistake, admitted it, and repented. Why don't Satan and the demons have the same opportunity?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit