Can demons repent?

by heyfea 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• heyfea
    heyfea

Hello all (I know, it's been a while)

It sounded very funny when my little sister asked my mother during their weekly bible study (some 25 years ago) what would happened if Satan repented? My mom thought she was being a smart-ass and punished her for asking such thing. But now that I think about it, can any of these fallen angels repent? Does the bible give any indication that this could happen? We DO know that Satan turned from good to bad, but what about turning from good to bad to good again? Is there no possibility of a prodigal angel?

Heyfea

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Can GB repent?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I think this is a perfectly wonderful question, but then, I am twisted on the entire "fallen angel" mythology.

As a child, I wondered what Satan had done that was so completely unforgivable so as to be the worst creature in all of the universe... my Mom assured me that "he was the Father of the lie" but I knew that there were much worse things in the world. Jesus had long conversations with him on a hillside, Jehovah made deals with him (Job) how bad was he?

Take it a step further and consider that he was not telling the lie... The Father was... when he set the first man and woman up to fail in the garden. Such is the Gnostic myth... the serpent is the revered one, who helps the innocents gain wisdom. (Interesting read: Jehovah Unmasked, by Nathaniel Merritt.)

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Google for "apocatastasis"... :)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Of course. If you want to pick some verses to support this idea, you could use the one where it says that jesus came to save that which was lost, and the one where he preached to spirits in prison. There is also another one to the affect that all things will be brought together by or in jesus.

S

• Marjorie
    Marjorie

There is no possibility that demons can, or will be repentant.

Repentance is for imperfect humans. A perfect creature's actions cannot be mistaken. Unlike humans, they rebelled against God with the full knowledge of the import of their actions.

The Blue Letter Bible has an excellent section on angels: Angelology: Questions about Angels, Demons, and the Power of Satan. It even addresses the WTS misconception about Michael the Archangel and Jesus being the same person.

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

No they can't...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What is there to repent from, wanting experiences that God was holding back from them? And, what would have been so wrong with having those experiences? I suppose they could have repaid the other men that were without wives by creating more girls, if they had been given half a chance (which would have rebalanced things).

And Satan? What does he have to repent from, trying to set mankind free from God's tyranny?

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Angels-1934-p.43 "What Jehovah has in store for these "sons of God" who became disobedient, the Scriptures do not reveal, but if at Armageddon any of them do take a positive and unequivocal stand on the side of Jehovah and gladly leave it to Jehovah where to place them, they may be recovered and return to some place in his organization."

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

Wow, that's interesting Atlantis. I was a born-in JW since 1963, and had never heard of the possibility of demons (angels) repenting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit