70 years = 607?

by allelsefails 421 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mary
    Mary
    There is sufficient exegetical points that link the Gentile Times of Luke 21:24 with Daniel 4. Firstly, there is the vocabulary with the use of kairos Gk with iddanim Aram. Secondly, there is the tense of the verb estai patoumene which literally means ' will be being trampled' which demotes a progressive past action into the future.

It does NOTHING of the kind. The phrase "will be trampled" is talking about a FUTURE event you moron. Is this too difficult for your pea-sized brain to comprehend? Please show me any reliable Concordance that claims that estai patoumene is referring to a past event.

Thirdly, the use of Jerusalem which has always had a theological significance amd in the particular relates to God's Kingdom which again is thematic of Daniel 4 and the entire book. Fourthly, the Olivet Discourse of Luke 21 deals with events that involve the destruction of wordly nations and worldly rulers which again is thematic of Daniel 4 and the book of Daniel. Fifth, Jesus quoted often from Daniel as seen in the Olivet Discourse of Mark 13, Luke 21 and Matt. 24-25.

Yes he quoted from Daniel but there certainly was nothing ever mentioned in his quotes about Nebuchadnezzar or his dream was there? Now if Nebuchadnezzar's dream had the impact and prophetic implications that you are asserting, then why didn't Jesus mention them? Once again, your argument falls flat on the ground and you have absolutely nothing to back up your ridiculous claims.

Daniel 4 is not just about Neb and his spanking but there were other parties involved such as God Himself, the future Heir of the Kingdom, the Watchers and Daniel himself so the story is bigger than Neb for it is like that big cosmic tree.

No it is not. There is nothing in either Daniel or Luke that bridges the two events together. Nothing except your pathetic attempt at making it appear as a "fact" when there is absolutely no basis for such a ridiculous assumption.

For a person who is a stupid as you claim scholar certainly has you in his grips and commands your instant attention. If scholar is such a fool as you
    claim then just ignore him and he will go away but you can't because scholar is a potent danger to apostates and their deceitful lying propaganda.

Don't flatter yourself duffus, you're not that good. The reason so many of us have squashed you flat and will continue to do so is because you attempt to go to such lengths to try and prove that the Craptower is right about 607 BCE when you have absolutely no scriptural, historical or archaeological evidence to support such a bizarre claim. We have proved over and over and over again that there is absolutely no evidence for such a claim and have shown the WTS to be nothing more than false prophets.

You are certainly 'no danger' to anyone except yourself. In fact, your presence on here shows any lurkers how insane the WTS's doctrine on this matter is. You had absolutely no rebuttal for their own literature showing that sincerety means nothing to God if you're teaching false doctrines. You are without a doubt, one of the best examples of mental instability in the Organization, I've ever seen.

Keep going pseudo-scholar----your lack of reasoning and blind devotion to the cult is out there for all to see.

I'm off to bed...............

• Mary
    Mary

Sorry, double post

• bennyk
    bennyk

"scholar" writes:

Ann O Maly

Post 944

But those predicted events did come about with the outbreak of World War 1 and the ending of the Gentile Times as corroborated by the media of the day and several clergyman some years later. Thus, those Bible Students were forever vindicated for their integrity.

So "scholar" is now claiming that the media of the day and several clergymen (some years later) corroborated Russell's claims by stating that the 'very elect had all been changed by 1915' and that 'natural Israel was restored to divine favour under the New Covenant'. Very interesting. And -- of course -- he also feels the Bible Students were forever vindicated for their integrity because they promulgated false prophecies in millions of copies for decades, and then lied about it. That is "scholar's" definition of 'acting with integrity.' Apparently, "scholar" has found it too challenging to be 'modest, honest, and sincere.'

• scholar
    scholar

Leolaia

Post 13125

The apostates now bring out the Big Gun! Leolaia now speaks with great authority!

Why should the Society extend any future warning to Belshazzar when in Daniel 5 all that it it discloses is an immediate fate to the city of Babylon and its ruling dynasty? The book of Daniel contains narratives not only of the future but of the immediate present as in the case of Daniel 4 with its present/future account and Daniel 5 with its story set in the present. Daniel 4 is clearly eschatological because it carries the theme of God's Kingdom which is clearly eschatol.ogical by its own defintion.

I agree with you that in some narrow sense Daniel 4 presages the events of Daniel but I would arguue that Daniel 4 along with the dream image of Daniel 2 are predictive of the rest of Daniel with its description of World Powers right up to the Time of the End.

The account of Daniel is allegorized by the vocabulary of the story with the use of 'seven times' and not years and by the permeating theme of the eschatological Kingdom of God and so it is that the 'pesher' of the Gentile Times is very much consistent with both the literal and figurative meaning of the story. The abasement of Nebuchadnezzer prefigured the fact that Gentile hegemony would exist iover the earth for a period of seven times and after the expiration of those times as Nebuchadnezzer was restored to rulership so it was that God's Kingdom was now rightfuuly restored to rulership in 1914 CE thus ending Gentile domination or the Gentile Times. Such an interpretation is both internally consistent with the narrative, ancient/modern history and prophecy.

Whatever scholars say about chronos the fact is that kairos and is a suitable equivalent term for iddanim and so we must exegete with what the text actually says rather than a supposed reading as interesting as it may be.

To say that the kairos of Luke 21:24 can not be allusive of Daniel 4 but rather of Daniel 7 does not make much sense because the simple fact is that the Lucan passage refers to a kairoi ethnon, a period of time of trampling by Gentile nations on Jerusalem which was that original earthly Kingdom of God. That trampling is similar to that cutting down of the tree being banded for 'seven times. Clearly the events and imagery bare much in common.

Daniel 7 and 9 along with 4 reveal a common theme and that is God's Kingdom which very much is thematic with the entire Olivet Discourse especially the above lucan passage which describes the duration and timing for that kingdom to break forth. Your linguistic considerations regarding the primacy of Daniel 7 and 9 at the exclusion of Daniel 4 with Luke 21:24 fail to convince me.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Mary

Post 10681

The expression patoumene 'being trampled is a passive participle which has verbal aspect of the past which is demonstrated by the fact that Jerusalem had long since been dominated by Gentile rulers since 607 BCE when the Judean Momarchy was overthrown. So, Jesus words and prophecy simply reflected facts of history. The very fact that something is 'being trampled' demotes an action that began in the past so the meaning is implicit in the literal sense of the Greek word and its English translation.

Luke makes no mention of Nebuchadnezzer or his tree dream in his Olivet Discourse but his theme was the future coming of the Kingdom which is exactly what Daniel in chapter 4 and the rest of the book thematizes. So, everything is in the pot.

There is indeed everything needed to synchronize Daniel 4 with Luke 21:24 and to be more particular you have the commonality of 'times', the 'trampling down' of the typical Kingdom of God, Jerusalem. It is all there theologically.

Scholar will continue to devastate apostate criticism of that sound, well proven date of 607 BCE as he has done for so many years so you keep on and scholar will keep on keeping on and luving it. You have a nice sleep and pleasant dreams.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

bennyk

Post 430

What scholar was referring to was that in that Manifesto those clergyman correctly deduced that the Gentile Times had ended and that they recognized the theological fact of the Gentile Times, that is all. The promulgation of false prophecies by us is a fanciful exaggeration of apostates who have no interest in prophecy at all and in fact have no mission or Gospel. When you have a prophecy or when you begin to prophecy then you can start talking about what others have done.

scholar JW

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Leolaia now speaks with great authority!

What silliness. I am simply giving my view in this thread. Whereas you continually argue from authority as a self-professed "scholar".

Why should the Society extend any future warning to Belshazzar when in Daniel 5 all that it it discloses is an immediate fate to the city of Babylon and its ruling dynasty?

LOL, that's precisely my point. In the story, Daniel gives a prophecy (through interpreting a written message) of the immediate fate of the ruler of Babylon. That is "all that it discloses". I agree. But you do not notice that it is the same thing with the story in ch. 4. In that story concerning Nebuchadnezzar, Daniel gives a prophecy (through interpreting a dream) of the immediate fate of the ruler of Babylon, who shortly thereafter undergoes what Daniel foretold. That is all that the story discloses. Just like the story of Belshazzar, it foreshadows the coming removal of power of the fourth kingdom, as related in ch. 2 and 7. But neither the stories of Nebuchadnezzar nor Belshazzar in ch. 4 and 5 refer to anything other than what they relate. The notion that the tree represents God's kingdom in addition to Nebuchadnezzar (and that Nebuchadnezzar's period of madness is representative of a period of Gentile hegemony) is something eisegetically read into the text. I own a dozen commentaries on Daniel and no contemporary scholar I know of takes the story of the debasing of Nebuchadnezzar as referring to what happened to "God's kingdom" on earth. Do you know of any who does?

Daniel 4 is clearly eschatological because it carries the theme of God's Kingdom which is clearly eschatol.ogical by its own defintion.

Wrong. The focus is on the person of Nebuchadnezzar and on his present; there is no content referring to a future establishment of the heavenly kingdom on earth, unlike the eschatological chapters (ch. 2, 7). The theme in context pertains to God's rule in the present: "Your kingdom will be assured to you after you recognize that it is Heaven that rules" (4:26), "the Most High is ruler over the realm of mankind and bestows it on whomever he wishes" (v. 32),"His dominion is an everlasting dominion and his kingdom endures from generation to generation" (v. 34), "Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise, exalt and honor the King of heaven" (v. 37). The only aspect of this reference that reaches into the future is the enduring permanence of the kingdom in v. 34, but this has nothing to do with an eschatological change of affairs (as the Gentile Times dogma holds). That the kingdom could involve an eschatological change in affairs, as ch. 7 relates, does not imply that any reference of the kingdom is eschatological. Chapter 4 discusses it solely in terms of the present. The kingdom already is, but in heaven not on earth. Of course, the Society teaches this as well. The Gentile Times is not construed as a period when the kingdom has no existence whatsover but that it has no earthly representation. It is a big leap to go from saying that the kingdom described synchronically in ch. 4 has an eschatological aspect (developed later in ch. 7) to saying that because the kingdom has an eschatological aspect the story in ch. 4 must be prophecy of the eschatological future of the kingdom. Elsewhere, the author gives explicit interpretations of what the dream visions or other symbols are supposed to represent....the dream in ch. 2 is eschatological, the same goes with the dream in ch. 7 and the ram and goat in ch. 8, and the interpretation of the seventy years in ch. 9. All are given eschatological interpretations. Daniel's interpretation of the handwriting on the wall in ch. 5, on the other hand, was not eschatological. It pertained to what was to befall the king he was speaking to. Nothing more. The same goes with the interpretation of Nebuchadnezzar's dream in ch. 4. There is absolutely no interpretation in the text applying the dream to a time beyond that of Nebuchadnezzar.

I agree with you that in some narrow sense Daniel 4 presages the events of Daniel but I would arguue that Daniel 4 along with the dream image of Daniel 2 are predictive of the rest of Daniel with its description of World Powers right up to the Time of the End.

There is nothing in the text of ch. 4 that relates the tree or the madness of Nebuchadnezzar to the succession of "world powers" after him. This is injected into the text from outside. Not everything in Daniel pertains to "the time of the end". As I pointed out in my last post, one could just as well inject into ch. 5 a reference to future world powers and the establishment on earth of God's kingdom, taking the mene-mene-tekel-parsin message as a prophecy of the end of the Gentile Times. Or the martyr tales in ch. 3 and 6...why aren't they eschatological as well, if they are in the book of Daniel? Maybe Daniel being placed into the lion's den foretells God's kingdom being inactive on earth during the Gentile Times and Daniel's release foretells the birth of the nation in 1914? Maybe the story of Daniel and his friends in ch. 1 eating vegetables during their period of training foretells the spiritual fruitage provided by Jesus and his followers during the Gentile Times. See what kind of arbitrary interpretations pertaining to "Gentile Times" could be injected into the text?

the 'pesher' of the Gentile Times is very much consistent with both the literal and figurative meaning of the story. The abasement of Nebuchadnezzer prefigured the fact that Gentile hegemony would exist iover the earth for a period of seven times and after the expiration of those times as Nebuchadnezzer was restored to rulership so it was that God's Kingdom was now rightfuuly restored to rulership in 1914 CE thus ending Gentile domination or the Gentile Times.

As a pesher, it represents not what the text actually says but what the reader wants to read into it. What you describe here is not found in the text itself. I also notice that you passed over my comment about the illogic of the Society's pesher interpretation.

Whatever scholars say about chronos the fact is that kairos and is a suitable equivalent term for iddanim and so we must exegete with what the text actually says rather than a supposed reading as interesting as it may be.

LOL, after defending the Society's eisegesis in ch. 4, you are talking about limiting oneself to an exegesis of what the text "actually says"? That's actually pretty funny. In point of fact, what Ginsburg was discussing what not kairos (which is not part of the original Aramaic text of Daniel) means but the semantics of 'iddan which is used in an unusual way in Daniel (in contrast to how the word is used elsewhere in Aramaic). That is why bilingual interference with khronos is one possible explanation for this odd usage in the text itself. So it does indeed concern "what the text actually says".

To say that the kairos of Luke 21:24 can not be allusive of Daniel 4 but rather of Daniel 7 does not make much sense because the simple fact is that the Lucan passage refers to a kairoi ethnon, a period of time of trampling by Gentile nations on Jerusalem which was that original earthly Kingdom of God. That trampling is similar to that cutting down of the tree being banded for 'seven times. Clearly the events and imagery bare much in common.

You're kidding, right? The reference to "trampling" (in conjunction with kairoi) is what directly links the passage to ch. 7. "It devoured and crushed and trampled (katapatoun) down the remainder with its feet" (7:7 LXX), "the fourth beast, which was different from all the others, exceedingly dreadful, with its teeth of iron and its claws of bronze, and which devoured, crushed and trampled down (katapatountes) the remainder with its feet" (7:19 LXX). This is an intensified form of the same word in Luke 21:24, "Jerusalem shall be trampled (patoumené) by the Gentiles (ethnón) until (akhris) the times of the Gentiles (kairoi ethnón) be fulfilled". Chapter 9 relates specifically the trampling of Jerusalem by the Gentiles before the completion of the "times": "And a king of Gentiles (basileia ethnón) will demolish the city and the sanctuary along with the anointed one, and his consummation will come with wrath even until (heós) the time of consummation(kairou sunteleias). He will be attacked through war. And the covenant will prevail for many, and it will return again and be rebuilt broad and long. And at the consummation of times (sunteleian kairón) even after seven years and seventy times (hebdomékonta kairous) and sixty-two years until the time of the consummation of the war (heós kairou sunteleias polemou) even desolation will be removed" (9:26-27 LXX). The wording in Luke 21:24 is close to the LXX of ch. 7 and 9 of Daniel. There is nothing to connect to ch. 4, other than kairoi which is already in ch. 7. It is pretty weak to prefer a parallel of the "trampling by Gentile nations" in the cutting down of the tree (how is cutting down a tree with an axe like stomping on someone with your feet?), when instead ch. 7 uses this same word and imagery.

Your linguistic considerations regarding the primacy of Daniel 7 and 9 at the exclusion of Daniel 4 with Luke 21:24 fail to convince me.

I am sure you can also check your commentaries on Luke and see which passages in Daniel are mentioned as allusions in 21:24. I bet they mention ch. 7 and 9 of Daniel while ignoring completely ch. 4. Those are the chapters most relevant to that verse, whereas ch. 4 (like other chapters like ch. 1 or 3 or 5 or 6) just isn't that relevant.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Leolaia..I`m sitting here Laughing my Ass off..LOL!!..........Scholar is toast...........Call the Ambulance!.......................Ya Scholar..We`ve heard it before..Your in a body cast..Naturally you must be the winner...........LOL!!!!!!!...OUTLAW

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

"Scholar" #1674:
    But those predicted events did come about with the outbreak of World War 1 and the ending of the Gentile Times as corroborated by the media of the day and several clergyman some years later. Thus, those Bible Students were forever vindicated for their integrity.

Let's read the 1913 statement again.

"But let us suppose a case far from our expectations: Suppose that A.D. 1915 should pass with the world's affairs all serene ..."

OK, 1915 didn't pass with world's affairs all serene. However, 'world's affairs' had not been 'all serene' for many years if you check your history, so their expectation that trouble would continue was hardly 'off the wall.'

And you know as well as I do the trouble the BSs expected was that ALL the nations' governments would be crushed out of existence! Did that predicted event come about? Did it?

But the next bits are key because they are all part of the expectations package:

" ... and with evidence that the 'very elect' had not all been 'changed' ... "

Were the 'very elect' changed then? Did that prediction come about? Hmm?

" ... and without the restoration of natural Israel to favor under the New Covenant.(Rom. 11:12,15.)"

Was natural Israel restored to favor in 1915? No?

None of those expectations or 'predicted events' came about, did they? Your comment above is total baloney, isn't it?

The conclusion, in the words of the 1913 ZWT:

"What then? Would not that prove our chronology wrong? Yes, surely!"

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

"Scholar":

Secondly, there is the tense of the verb estai patoumene which literally means ' will be being trampled' which demotes a progressive past action into the future.

The expression patoumene 'being trampled is a passive participle which has verbal aspect of the past which is demonstrated by the fact that Jerusalem had long since been dominated by Gentile rulers since 607 BCE when the Judean Momarchy was overthrown. So, Jesus words and prophecy simply reflected facts of history. The very fact that something is 'being trampled' demotes an action that began in the past so the meaning is implicit in the literal sense of the Greek word and its English translation.

Wrong. It's a simple future periphrastic (periphrastic means 'wordy, verbose, roundabout way of saying something'). It does NOT denote a past action continuing into the future. It denotes a future action that will then continue for an indeterminate time.

Compare these similar future periphrastic constructions like the one at Luke 21:24:

Mark 13:25 - "the stars will be ... falling" - had the stars been continually falling before Jesus uttered those words?

Luke 1:20 - "you will be [being] silent" referring to Zechariah's future (and ongoing) mute state. Zechariah hadn't been mute beforehand.

Luke 21:17 and Matt. 24:9 - "you will be [being] hated" - Jesus was predicting future (continuous) persecution for those bearing his name. Jesus' audience hadn't really been subject to tribulations and executions beforehand.

Luke 22:69 - "will be the Son of man sitting" - how far into the past had Jesus already been doing that?

The flavor of the verses immediately preceding Luke 21:24, and immediately preceding the 'will be [being] trampled' part within v.24, is a series of FUTURE events. While there may have been many (what could fairly be described as) 'tramplings' in the past - even as far back as the time of Assyrian hegemony - the immediate context of Jesus' words relate to Jerusalem and her inhabitants' FUTURE!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit