70 years = 607?

by allelsefails 421 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• scholar
    scholar

Leolaia

Post 13126

I disagree with your claim that Daniel 4 and 5 both simply refer to an immediate fulfillment of prophecy with an immediate fate for the then ruler for Daniel 4 discloses much more than what was foretold in ch. 5. In fact, ch.4 has more in common with ch2 as many early commentators who believed in the Gentille Times used ch2 as the foundation of the doctrine rather than ch.4. The major difference between ch.4 and 5.is that there is no mention or significant allusion to God's Kingdom except where Daniel refers to the previous history of Nebuchadnezzer's chastisement described in ch4. Refer to ch.5:18-21.

Further, what these accounts have in common is the fact that both rulers were forced to recognize the Kingdom of God as ruling and superior to their sovereignty andboth men were forced to recognize this fact by divine intervention.

Daniel 4 requires interpretation just as Daniel had to interpret the dream in the first place and such required interpretation proves that something beyond the obvious is intended for example the Kingdom is mentioned not just in this chapter but pervades the entire book yet that Kingdom is regarded by scholars as eschatological but it still today requires interpretation. I am not surprised by the fact that commentators do not interpret the tree dream as JW's and the Early Bible Students have done because they have graet difficulty with the concept of God's Kingdom. I have at my disposal all of the major technical commentaries on Daniel and I have found interesting bits and pieces that serve illuninate our interpretation and I am happy with that. One commentary that stands out from all others is the Heremeneia commentary by John Collins who is a prominent scholar on Daniel and I find his observations on the background of the dream most informative.

Again I take issue with you as to the fact of Daniel 4 has as its theme the eschatological kingdom of God which demotes both a present and future reality for the very fact that those Kingdom verses refer to God ruling from 'time indefinite and is kingdom is for generation after generation' proves the matter. Daniel 4:3.17.25,32.34. Further, I draw your attention to the comments by Bruce K Waltke in his An Old Testament Theology, 2007, Zondervan, pp.158-159 whereupon he refers to verses form ch 4. highlighting the eschatological kingdom of God.

If in fact, Dan.4 is about rulership, the right to rule and God's authority over the nations as themes of this chapter and that this chapter is followed up by a description of worls powers by means of a vision and if the chapter 4 discloses the an interpreted Gentile Times-Luke 21;24 then clearly it is about World Powers and their relationship with God's Kingdom.

I agree that the pesher is not found directly into the text and must be read into it and this is where interpretation becomes necessary on the other hand just reading the text directly and seeing just as a literal account of Neb's experience robs the text of any meaning and becomes nonsense because it ignores those themes that the text does deal with.

I cannot comment on Ginsburg because I do not have his reference to hand so if it is important then perhaps could you paste his comment in your reply.

I do not share your opinion that the 'trampling' in Dan.7 better equates with the 'trampling' of Luke 21;24 at the expense of Dan.4 but as I have to rush off to work rather unexpectedly I will take up your final comments in my next post.

scholar JW

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    I disagree with your claim that Daniel 4 and 5 both simply refer to an immediate fulfillment of prophecy with an immediate fate for the then ruler for Daniel 4 discloses much more than what was foretold in ch. 5.

There is nothing in ch. 4 that points to an application beyond that which Daniel gives. The same is true with ch. 5. Whereas in ch. 2 and 7, if the fulfilment extends beyond the immediate present, the author says so. Can you point to any contemporary scholar who interprets the dream in ch. 4 as having another secondary fulfillment pertaining to the establishment of God's kingdom on earth?

In fact, ch.4 has more in common with ch2 as many early commentators who believed in the Gentille Times used ch2 as the foundation of the doctrine rather than ch.4.

Are you referring to the writers who influenced Pastor Russell? Source?

The critical literature on Daniel is quite clear on the closer relationship of ch. 4 with 5 than with ch. 2. The Aramaic apocalypse has a transparent chiasmatic structure, with ch. 4 and 5 being parallel with each other (both tales pertaining to the loss of power of certain Babylonian kings, with Daniel foretelling the loss of power), ch. 3 and 6 being parallel with each other (both being martyr tales involving Daniel and his friends being tested for their faith and being delivered from death by God), and ch. 2 and 7 being parallel with each other (both being apocalyptic surveys of history that relate the succession of four kingdoms that are then replaced by the eschatological kingdom). Chapters 4-5 are at the center of this structure, and ch. 5 directly references the events of ch. 4. Chapters 2 and 4 both involve the interpretation of dream visions given to Nebuchadnezzar, but the content of each is more different than similar, whereas the content of ch. 2 has its natural counterpart in ch. 7.

The major difference between ch.4 and 5.is that there is no mention or significant allusion to God's Kingdom except where Daniel refers to the previous history of Nebuchadnezzer's chastisement described in ch4. Refer to ch.5:18-21.

There is no mention of God's kingdom in ch. 5 except for the passage that mentions it? This makes no sense. BTW, you missed a few other allusions. In v. 23, Daniel refers to God as the "Lord of heaven" who "holds in his hand your life and all your ways". This links back to ch. 4 in which Nebuchadnezzar must "acknowledge that heaven rules" in order to have his kingdom restored to him (v. 26), and v. 37 when Nebuchadnezzar decides to "praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven". In both cases, it is the kingdom of heaven that rules in the present; Belshazzar has his own "Lord" in heaven who rules above him. Then in 5:26, Daniel declares to him that "God has numbered the days of your reign and brought it to an end," the same theme in ch. 4 that "the Most High is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone he wishes" (4:32).

Further, what these accounts have in common is the fact that both rulers were forced to recognize the Kingdom of God as ruling and superior to their sovereignty andboth men were forced to recognize this fact by divine intervention.

Yeah. The two accounts are closely parallel in that respect. That is why the author in ch. 5 directly alludes to the events of ch. 4 to invest meaning in Belshazzar's loss of power.

Daniel 4 requires interpretation just as Daniel had to interpret the dream in the first place and such required interpretation proves that something beyond the obvious is intended

This is nonsense. All the visions in the book are given explicit interpretations by the author. That is why it is an apocalypse. If you think the mere fact that the book gives interpretations of its visions "proves" that something else is needed, then it would equally require the same for any of the other visions described therein. Not even the Society claims that the mene-mene-tekel-parsin vision or the ram/he-goat vision has some other fulfillment than the one given in the text. Nor does any contemporary scholar I know of intimate that there is a hidden meaning to the vision of ch. 4, much less a chronological one.

I am not surprised by the fact that commentators do not interpret the tree dream as JW's and the Early Bible Students have done because they have graet difficulty with the concept of God's Kingdom.

No. It's because there is absolutely nothing in the text that connects the tree with God's kingdom. The JWs and the like read such concepts into the text. As I said, I have a dozen commentaries on Daniel. If you read their discussions of ch. 4, they generally discuss how the tree is a symbol of hubris. A pride in one's own power that is so vast that it reaches up to heaven. This is especially obvious since the symbol of the tree is taken directly from Ezekiel 31 where it similarly was a symbol of Pharaoh's hubris as king. You can best see this in George Wesley Buchanan's Intertextual Mellen Biblical Commentary (1999, pp. 113-115).

Ezekiel 31:3, 6: "Look! I will compare you to a cedar of Lebanon. Its branches were beautiful, a forest shade. It was very tall...In its branches all the birds of heaven made nests, and under its branches all the wild beasts gave birth".

Daniel 4:6-8: "Look! A tree in the midst of the land. It was very tall. The tree grew and became strong, its height touched heaven....Underneath it was sheltering the wild beasts and in its branches the birds of heaven were living, and all the flesh were obtaining food from it".

Like the tree in Daniel 4, it is cut down because of hubris: "Because it towered on high, lifting its top above the thick foliage, and because it was proud of its height, I handed it over to the ruler of the nations, for him to deal with according to its wickedness. I cast it aside, and the most ruthless of foreign nations cut it down and left it" (31:10-12). From the start, the image of the tree is intelligible as a symbol for Nebuchadnezzar's pride. What contextual reason is there to take it as simultaneously a symbol of God's kingdom at the same time?

I have at my disposal all of the major technical commentaries on Daniel and I have found interesting bits and pieces that serve illuninate our interpretation and I am happy with that. One commentary that stands out from all others is the Heremeneia commentary by John Collins who is a prominent scholar on Daniel and I find his observations on the background of the dream most informative.

I have it too. And nowhere does Collins even suspect that the story in context has an application beyond that given by the author (other than the possibility that it expresses a hoped-for humiliation of Antiochus Epiphanes, which he rejects). He does however mention how the story was subsequently allegorized by later Jews and Christians (p. 234). In none of these does the tree or Nebuchadnezzar stand in for God's kingdom -- but rather its opposite, i.e. Lucifer, the Emperor Titus of Rome, the Devil, etc. This illustrates the illogic I mentioned three posts ago about taking Nebuchadnezzar as a symbol for the earthly establishment of God's kingdom, rather than the antichrist or some force for evil. The Watchtower interpretation fits very poorly into the interpretation of the dream vision given by the author himself.

Again I take issue with you as to the fact of Daniel 4 has as its theme the eschatological kingdom of God which demotes both a present and future reality for the very fact that those Kingdom verses refer to God ruling from 'time indefinite and is kingdom is for generation after generation' proves the matter.

Hey, I already discussed this point in detail two posts ago. Please see what I wrote....you've completely missed my point.

Further, I draw your attention to the comments by Bruce K Waltke in his An Old Testament Theology, 2007, Zondervan, pp.158-159 whereupon he refers to verses form ch 4. highlighting the eschatological kingdom of God.

So what does he say? That the rule of God in ch. 4 has an estachatological aspect, as fleshed out more in ch. 7, or that the tree is a symbol of that kingdom such that the vision pertains to events beyond that of Nebuchadnezzar himself, with the vision spelling out the future history of the kingdom? I seriously doubt it is the latter. I've never seen anyone outside the Society or kindred groups make that claim. There is huge leap between one and the other, and you do not seem to notice the difference.

If in fact, Dan.4 is about rulership, the right to rule and God's authority over the nations as themes of this chapter and that this chapter is followed up by a description of worls powers by means of a vision and if the chapter 4 discloses the an interpreted Gentile Times-Luke 21;24 then clearly it is about World Powers and their relationship with God's Kingdom.

No. Is Daniel 4 about rulership and God's authority over the nations? Yes. But there is nothing in the chapter about the succession of world powers related in ch. 7. This discussion of world powers comes three chapters later. The story in ch. 4 is more directly followed by ch. 5 which gives another story about a proud king who loses his power. You are just trying to smuggle content into ch. 4 that does not exist in it.

I agree that the pesher is not found directly into the text and must be read into it and this is where interpretation becomes necessary on the other hand just reading the text directly and seeing just as a literal account of Neb's experience robs the text of any meaning and becomes nonsense because it ignores those themes that the text does deal with.

LOL, this is the funniest statement you've yet made in this thread. First you admit that the whole Gentile Times interpretation is "not found directly in the text" and that it "must be read into it". Yes, that's right, it is foreign to the text itself. But then you say that if we fail to import these foreign notions into the text in a pesher-style way, the text itself lacks any meaning and makes no sense. Sorry, pseudo-scholar, the text makes perfect sense as it stands. It just doesn't make sense to you because it lacks what you want it to mean. You are not satisfied with what it says on its own terms....simple as that. You'd rather it to be talking about something it really isn't talking about.

I cannot comment on Ginsburg because I do not have his reference to hand so if it is important then perhaps could you paste his comment in your reply.

Well, it's not a very significant point but he says:

"A few years ago I demonstrated that the phrase mr' mlkym (Dan 2:47) is to be vocalized mare molkin or m. mulkin and is an Aramaic rendering of kurios basileión 'lord of kingships,' the Aramaic protocol of the Lagid kings of Egypt. It is not the only translation-borrowing from the Greek that the book of Daniel contains. The Aramaic 'iddan and its Hebrew translation mo'ed mean properly 'time, season,' but the former in 4:13, 20, 22, 29; 7:25 and the latter in 12:7 -- not improbably in 11:29 too -- have the sense of 'year'. That this is purely an oracular affectation can not be plausibly maintained in the face of 4:22, 29. In the former verse Daniel is expounding to Nebuchadnezzar, who does not possess the gift of interpreting dreams, the purport of words heard by Nebuchadnezzar in a dream; yet instead of explaining that the phrase '7 iddanin' means '7 shnin "years" ' he merely repeats the former expression. It would therefore certianly seem that, so far as that expression was concerned, the angel 'had spoken in the language of men,' as the school of Rabbi Ishmael would have said. Again in v. 29, Nebuchadnezzar is not dreaming about an angel decreing something about a tree but being told directly and literally, while wide awake, what is about to happen to him. Here too shib'a 'iddanin would defeat its purpose if there were anything mysterious or ambiguous about it. A review of all the revelant passages suggests that 'iddan has more or less the nunance of the French année, while shna corresponds to the French an. Now, we do not find 'iddan (> mo'ed in the Hebrew sections of Daniel) employed in the sense of 'year' outside the book of Daniel, but we do find khronos, properly 'time,' used in the sense of 'year' in Greek[footnote:4]. Ergo, Daniel's Aramaic 'iddan 'year' is a Greek translation loanword, just like Koheleth's tahat hashshemesh (huph' hélió) "under heaven".[footnote:5]" (pp. 1-2).

Footnote 4 gives some references on the use of khronos in Greek.

I do not share your opinion that the 'trampling' in Dan.7 better equates with the 'trampling' of Luke 21;24 at the expense of Dan.4 but as I have to rush off to work rather unexpectedly I will take up your final comments in my next post.

Okay, but it cannot be stressed enough that there is no "trampling" whatsoever in Daniel 4 whereas there is both "trampling" and "times" in Daniel 7 that Luke 21:24 is allusive of. There is nothing "at the expense of" ch. 4, if ch. 4 has no "trampling" to begin with.

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

Scholar - God's Kingdom and the Messianic Kingdom are not the same thing! God's Kingdom is eternal the Messianic Kingdom is temporary. When chap 4 talks about God having authority over the kings of the earth it means that He can take it away or give it to whomever He wants. Nothing in the chapter suggests that it references the Messianic Kingdom. Also Russell in your quote from "The Time is at Hand" says Cyrus' first year was 536. That is the date of the order to return and the date he used to back-up the 1914 date. Not the arrival of Jews in Israel. You yourself agree that Cyrus' 2nd year was the return of the Jews. Therefore are you an apostate from the "truth" taught by the FDS - Russell or was he an apostate from the truth of God for using the demonic pyramid to base his his time prophecies on? ............... Again what will Scholar do when the WTS changes their position will you admit all this nonsense is wrong or you will be an apostate too. :-)

• scholar
    scholar

Leolaia

Post 13135

The theme of Daniel 4 which the Kingdom of God obviously gives the experience of Nebuchadnezzer a much greater fulfillment as that Kingdom was eschatological as many scholars agree. At this stage the only contemporary scholars who support such a view are the 'celebrated' WT scholars and my good self. However, on this matter I have not research this subject to the depth required to be absolute sure about this for example it may be the case that there are scholars who have published in German may share such an interpretation. I also forgot to mention C.I. Scofield who if my memory serves me correctly in his classic Reference Bible did endorse this interpretation.

No I am not, in fact one such clergman Clarence Larkin published charts on Dispensational Theology in 1918 which showed the importance of the Gentile Times beginning in 606 BCE with no precise end date but base also on Luke 21:24. By the way he was no friend of the Russellite movement as he regarded such as 'false teachers'.

You need to name the critical sources that allege that Daniel 4 and 5 are more closely related than ch.2 which whatever the case as each chapter in Daniel bears some relationship one with another as all such chapters are part of a coherent whole anyway.

I disgree, most of the chapters in Daniel require modern day interpretation even though in most cases an immediate interpretation by the seer was made becaus eof the simple fact that such prophecies had to with that manifestation of that eschatological Kinbgdom of God. Further, Daniel was told by the angel in 12:4 to seal up the book until the time of the end which obviously that a much fuller disclosure of the book was intended.

I have given you reference to Waltke's book so just look it up if you want further information.

Daniel 4 discusses the simple fact that God's typical kingdom as represented by Judah would be bound or trampled on by foreign powers until such time as that Kingdom was rightfully restored. So, in historic terms Jerusalem which represented that Kingdom or God's sovereignty over the earth was restric ted for a period of seven times by the abasement of that Gentile Ruler for seven literal years . This trampling of Jerusalem is touched on in Daniel 9 in connection with the appearance of the Messiah and was a common theme of Luke culminating with his observation on past and futurfe history in Luke 21:24.

Sorry, the text makes no sense at all if it is read as a simple story of a king's chastisement, the story has too much imagery or metaphors to be simply considered as simple story. The whole context of the narrative and its place within the book of Daniel proves that even in literary terms the picture given is much bigger. Theologically the story cannot be considered as just that because the vocabulary is eschatological in character as well as with the rest of the Daniel.

Thank you for Ginsburg's comment and I shall note that for future reference.

My comment about the successive trampling or tramplings of Jerusalem as discussed in Daniel and Luke is that these events in history are very much consistent with Daniel 4. Daniel 4 does not refer directly to such events as you have well described and I must say that I agree with you to some extent however there is a matter which I suspect you have overlooked at the expense of your linguistic approach. I woulsd argue that there is a theological view which permeates the historian Luke and squares very nicely with a theological interpreation of Dan.4. How so, recent scholarship especially from the time of the late Robert Maddox who I was priviliged to have been taught by at the University of Sydney during the late 1970's did much pioneering research on Luke -Acts and its Purpose. Other scholars have pursued such research and one such major study of which I have a copy is The Destruction of Jerusalem According to Luke's Gospel: A Historical-Typological Moral by Charles Homer Giblin in the Analecta Biblica, 1985, Biblical Institute Press, Rome. Such theological studies discuss Jerusalem with its past experience and its eschatological role Although such studies have not endorsed Dan. 4 in way what is endorsed is that the antitypical interpretation of Dan4 in respects to Jerusalem and God's Kingdom do indeed converge.

In short, what I would argue is that current scholarship on Luke as a historian and theologian who was concerned with the fate of Jerusalem provides a firm basis for that antitypical interpretation of Dan 4 in conncection with Jerusalem, Gentile Nations and the Kingdom of God. Luke brings all these together.

scholar JW

• Mary
    Mary

Scholar, give it a rest. You lost this debate and you lost big time. Your own personal opinion means absolutely nothing when interpreting scriptures and you have been unable to provide one piece of evidence, whether, historical, scriptural, or archaeological, that supports the Borg's claim that the Gentile Times ended in 1914. You can drone on for the next thousand years (no pun intended) and you'll still have nothing, because there's nothing to support this assertion.

The only thing you've managed to do on this thread is to demonstrate that you have some serious mental problems. Speaking of yourself in the Third Person, ignoring common sense rebuttals, refusing to accept history or even the bible itself at face value and being unable to admit that you are wrong even in the face of the overwhelming evidence that you are------you're one screwed up person and I hope you seek medical attention.

There would be absolutely no reason for any 'worldly' historian, archaeologist, or genuine scholar, to try and twist history and give a false date for the destruction of the first temple. It would have absolutely no impact on them whatsoever. The only people who have a vested interest in trying to promote the date for the destruction at 607 BCE, is of course, the WTS who you so blindly worship. Without that date, the entire structure of the religion collapses. While they could probably survive the idea that Jesus didn't return in 1914, they absolutely feel that they could not survive losing their bizarre claim that Jesus 'chose' them as the F&DS in 1919. They'd lose all their power and authority over the rank and file and that is something that they will try and move heaven and earth to prevent.

It's truly sad and pathetic that you've devoted so much of your time and studies to desperately try and support a lie. Meh, whatever knocks your socks off.............

• scholar
    scholar

Mary

Post 10691

Are the apostates getting worried or scrared Mary? All that I have done is to provide another view or opinion and proving that the Society's interpretation of matters is in harmony with the Bible in a calm, rational way. The evidence for the ending and the beginning of the Gentile Times in 1914 CE and 607 BCE is quite defensible and is in harmony with all the available evidence from the Bible, ancient/modern history, theology with recent studies on Luke and histiorography.

Scholar speaks in the third person to befuddle and confuse the apostate ramblings and to provide some comedy during this lengthy and heavy discussion. It is not matter for any outside scholar of having to twist anything because most scjolars do not appreciate Daniel for its prophecy. It is simply the fact that in these end times the Divine Author of Daniel has seen to it that the correct interpretation of this book is made known through those 'holy ones'. Our faith does not depend on the viability of a date or dates nor does it depend on a body of interpretation but rather faith is based on things that are known and a trust and obedience in the only true God , Jehovah an dHis Son, Jesus Christ. It all bois down to one word really and that is faith and that is something apostaes do not possess.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

allelsefails

Post 74

The important and salient fact is that Daniel 4 is all about the Kingdom of God and His Sovereignty and this is expressed in time by means of that Messianic Kingdom which began to rule in 1914 CE. God's Kingdom is eternal from 'time indefinite to generation after generation' as Daniel 4 staes the matter but finds it expression by means of that Messianic Kingdom as foretold in Danie 4:17b.

Your comments about Russell are pathetic and false but if you love the lie then you live the lie.

scholar JW

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

Don't call me a liar! I quoted the Same book same page as you! In "The Time is at Hand" pg 49-52 specifically under the sub-heading "The Seventy Years of Desolation" Russell said "in the first year of Cyrus, B.C. 536". You have said many time the Jews could not have made it back in Cyrus' first year - 538. Right? I only use real facts in my arguments not made up ones like "Daniel 4 staes the matter but finds it expression by means of that Messianic Kingdom as foretold in Danie 4:17b." 17b is Nebuchadnezzar realizing God had taken his kingdom away and given it back and that God can do that to anyone. You read Daniel and see these wonderful future events. There are parts of Daniel about the future. But the first 6 chapters are narative not prophetic, though it does include prophecies the story is not prophetic. You believe what you want, but don't fool yourself into thinking delusions are truth. You are unable to quote a single source to support your ideas about chapter 4 being tied to the messianic kingdom. ............... I believe the question about being apostate is a proper one becaus of where you are posting. Though I was putting a little humor myself thus the :-).

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hi there Scholar.

As I recall, Dewey claimed he won in 1948. You seem to have a lot in common with him. Would you like a fake newspaper highlighting your victory? Congrats... I hope your arms aren't too tired patting yourself on the back.

I studied all of this in depth. I always will bow to leoleia and others here, who document what the proof texts and evidence says, as opposed to your/JW approach, which is to defend a dogma going backwards, and trying to make the scriptures fit a preconceived and untenable position.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

allelsefails

#71 - Scholar - did not answer my last question. Why did the WTS use the destruction of Babylon in 536 BCE (wrong) to count backwards for the 70 years (to 606)? They did not use the return of the Jews for this beginning date, but the destruction of Babylon.

"Scholar" #1680 - You are mistaken because the seventy years was always counted not from the Fall of Babylon but from the Return of the Jews under Cyrus in 536 BCE which began in 606 BCE with the destruction of Jerusalem.

#78 - Don't call me a liar! I quoted the Same book same page as you!

You're not a liar but I think you've misunderstood. The Time Is At Hand, p.51 says this:

THE SEVENTY YEARS OF DESOLATION. This brings us to the period of the desolation of the land, which lasted seventy years, and was ended by the restoration of its people from Babylon, in the first year of Cyrus, B. C. 536 (See 2 Chron. 36: 20, 23), a date well established in secular history, and beyond which the line of Bible chronology does not extend.

... The period from the time of the restoration of the Jews from Babylon, at the close of the seventy years desolation of their land, in the first year of Cyrus, down to the date known as A. D. I, is not covered by Bible history. But, as before stated, it is well established by secular history as a period of 536 years.

To underline the point that they counted the 70 years desolation from Cyrus' first year as understood to be 536 and not the destruction of Jerusalem (538):

"It is well established that two years after the overthrow of Babylon in 538 B .C. by Darius the Mede and his nephew, Cyrus the Persian, the first year of Cyrus' exclusive rule began, which year was 536 B .C." - The Truth Shall Make You Free (1943), p.151

I'm sorry. I know it's intensely irritating, but Skol-drinker was correct on that point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit