The Case for God

by UnDisfellowshipped 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• beksbks
    beksbks

FHN, the god of the bible says we are in the shit right now because Adam and Eve disobeyed.

People make that up so they can manipulate other people with fear. It's a very effective tool, wouldn't you agree?

Heck yea, and IMHO it's what all this god stuff is about. Started out as a way for early man to explain things he didn't understand, and became a way for one man to rule another.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Where does that scenario leave god?

Why do you think it's God's responsibility to interfere constantly with all of this? We don't know that he is the one who created all of this. We don't know what legal workings are going on or that there isn't a higher purpose behind his not intervening, everytime, to save us from each other or natural disasters. Maybe it's not just about us.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    People make that up so they can manipulate other people with fear. It's a very effective tool, wouldn't you agree?

Absolutely. Consider the possibility that the entire bible is made up for the purpose of controlling man. Even those that believe in God acknowledge that man invented the thousands of other (false) gods. Perhaps ALL gods are an invention of man....

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

FHN, stop it with your not-so-typical theist way of thinking. You're really throwing us off. ;)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

FHN, the god of the bible says we are in the shit right now because Adam and Eve disobeyed.

That is assuming that God actually wrote the entire Bible. There are many Jews and Christians who do not believe he authored the whole thing. The sermon we had at church on Sunday had to do with the problems that arise when you take the whole Bible as the literal words of God.

• middleman
    middleman

"Many Christians do believe that, so I don't think it's a straw man. When do you think man was created? When do you think the flood of Noah's day happened? BTW, generally the only people that try and fight science with regards to dating methods are the young earth creationists that believe the universe is 6000 years old."

Maybe not a straw man per se (depends how you look at it)...I humbly recant. When do I think man was created?...um dunno, the time period still wouldn't prove evolution true regardless, even if it was millions of years ago. Your last sentence is true but you can't always base your arguments against someone's view that you may have improperly labeled within the norm.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Why do you think it's God's responsibility to interfere constantly with all of this? We don't know that he is the one who created all of this. We don't know what legal workings are going on or that there isn't a higher purpose behind his not intervening, everytime, to save us from each other or natural disasters. Maybe it's not just about us.

What point is there in calling it god then? I don't blame god for anything. I don't think god exists. I think it's all a crap shoot. There's a ton of great stuff out there though, and that's what makes it all worth it.

• donny
    donny

My former belief in God and everyones elses is based on what enviroment you were raised in and what you were told. Nobody doing an objective study on why we are here and/or where we came from would conclude that we were created by a jealous, childish and insecure spirit that is mentioned in the Old Testament. Why would someone who insists on so much devotion and worship do everything he/she can to remain undetectable and unknowable?

Don

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You guys should let go of the idea that God has to be the one who created this material universe we know or that he is a punisher. That is very fundamentalist ideas. There are many more ideas than strict fundamentalist views of God and the material universe.

• middleman
    middleman

"FHN, stop it with your not-so-typical theist way of thinking. You're really throwing us off. ;)"

It's easier to to pick apart the traditional "fundie" way of thinking huh? HAHA joking bro/sis, all in good fun here. I'm actually enjoying your posts. I like a good debate/discussion fun fun fun. Take care now...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit