The Case for God

by UnDisfellowshipped 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spook
    Spook

Oh yikes. Dare I jump on this one. Seriously...I wish the OP could have contained one of these not all...

Big bang

Premise one and two are nonsensical. The conclusion does not follow from the argument in any way and in fact contradicts it in furhter meaningless words.

Moral argument

Premise one is false and the conclusion in no way follows from it.

Argument From Reason

Repperts version is much better than Lewis' here botched. Premise 1 is false, premise 2 uses "explanation" improperly. Premise 3 sets up a strawman against several versions of naturalism and also excludes other possibilities. This also has the same problems of causation the Big Bang argument did.

Argument From Design

This no longer deserves comment.

Argument From Need

Possibly the worst argument I have ever heard. Most theists would reject the phsyical god claim analogy anyway.

The Argument for God from Evil - This is a poorly worded version of your moral argument.

The only argument worth mentioning presented above is the Argument From Reason. This has been patiently and thoroughly dealt with. Now Plantinga Vs. Denett had an obscure little version of this at the recent APA conference which I posted about previously. It dealt with the likelihood that reason should approximate truth under natural evolution vs whether this was more likely given the set of evolution and theism.

I can account for reason under naturalism just fine. I think it's the best argument made by theists because it does force a non-sophisticated naturalist to make certain unpleasant admissions much the same way the argument from evil forces theists to admit that were God to exist it is his purpose that some humans experience a maximum amount of suffering.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Spook,

I had been waiting for your response. Thanks.

-LWT

• Spook
    Spook

Thx LWT - I may not get my hopes up too much. The OP contains so many claims that a meaningful discussion may be quite impossible.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Weak.

You can't prove God using logic. How about some actual evidence that he/she/it/whatever exists? Real, tangible, repeatable, objective evidence?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I believe it's just a fact that we have free will. All around us we see the workings of free will. Often the free will of one hurts another. For some reason, God doesn't take our free will from us. I'm glad he doesn't. Human beings exercise free will and they cause a lot of suffering. We are all learning from the results of human free will. Meanwhile, I'll take the good with the bad. I note that it's humans causing the suffering, as well as spirit beings. God in his wisdom, allows this for now. I fully believe all sorrow will be reconciled for all beings eventually.

The human race needs to take responsibilty for its own contribution to suffering and stop passing the buck to God.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Why doesn't god just come out and proclaim his existence? Why do we need a case for it?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I'm sure God has a good, valid reason for not answering doubters.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I crave three naked supermodels in my bedroom. Apparently since I crave them they must exist in my bedroom. I checked and they aren't there. I just falsified the Argument from Need.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Hey, Doc, it could be those three super models don't crave you.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

He would get the three supermodels only if it is in harmony with Gods' will!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit