The Case for God

by UnDisfellowshipped 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spook
    Spook

My last post on this thread:

If the logical positivists permitted themselves the same kind of linguistic convolutions that theists go through in defining god, it would be very possible to illiminate the self-refuting nature of logical positivism. And to me, it is no more self evident that, say, the universe had a beginning than it is to say only natural knowledge is legitimate.

I have a scientistic world view. I fight with kid gloves in philosophy for the sake of argument.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

ping?

• Chalam
    Chalam

Awakened at Gilead-Why doesn't god just come out and proclaim his existence? Why do we need a case for it?

He will!

1 John 3:2 (New International Version)

2 Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, [ a ] we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

1 Peter 4:13 (New International Version)

13 But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.

Matthew 24:27 (New International Version)

27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

All the best,

Stephen

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Just an FYI, I actually read John Loftus' book, "Why I am an Atheist" and I enjoyed it. I thought it was very thought-provoking. One of these days I will post a review/critique of it here.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I haven't read much of this thread and no way am I going to either, "let the dead bury the dead" to steal a phrase from the human member of the trinity. And besides I'm lazy.:)

Anyway when we use the word "God" it carries so many different ideas,,, some based on some prejudice of cultural and religious background.

I think belief in a Deity can be good if the deity is a balanced one,,and not restricted by religious dogma,, I mean it can act as a healer of the psyche,,even with religious dogma it can act this way,, but better I think with freedom to break away from dogma or not dogma restricted.

Gods and goddesses are deeply embedded archetypes in the collective human unconscious,,they form a basis of how we view the world due to our evolved instincts,, and were present even before we gained consciousness,, ego consciousness,, is a late arrival on the scene of human evolution,,before that was unconscious instinct (expressed so well in the mythology of Adam and Eve eating the fruit of knowledge of good and bad(thus having there eyes opened to see good and bad) Myths are a projection of the inner workings of the collective human unconscious. We need to look at them metaphorically not literally to get the real meanings.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Frankiespeakin,

Thank you for your viewpoint on the topic. I appreciate hearing from different people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit