The Case for God

by UnDisfellowshipped 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Why are you blaming God for Pompei? If a tree falls in your yard during a thunderstorm, should we blame you?

Because God has the power to stop something like that. Volcanic eruptions are not caused by man in any conceivable way. God has the power to stop something like that. Not doing so makes him evil.

• beksbks
    beksbks

FHN, if he is all powerful, it's his game. If he decides to throw out Free Parking, or charge triple for landing on Park Place, done. Why is he so wrathful at not being obeyed? Why is that whole garden of eden nonesense some kind of deal breaker? Why should millions of people through history have suffered because some couple in eden screwed up? It's pettiness, and an all powerful "loving" god wouldn't be petty.

• middleman
    middleman

BTW, I am not one that believes man was created a mere 6000 years ago...that sir is a straw man. Many Christians do not ascribe to this...

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

But there are many that cannot possibly be caused by man or any other being.

If people are capable of enjoying the suffering of people and animals, then why can't other beings be just as capable of cruelty? If man can split and fuse atoms and effectively destroy all life on earth, why can't other beings, who may be much more powerful than human beings mess with the earth and cause things like earthquakes?

• beksbks
    beksbks

If people are capable of enjoying the suffering of people and animals, then why can't other beings be just as capable of cruelty? If man can split and fuse atoms and effectively destroy all life on earth, why can't other beings, who may be much more powerful than human beings mess with the earth and cause things like earthquakes?

Where does that scenario leave god?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Sure I agree with you...question away but some spend their entire life with mere questions while not truly looking for any of the answers.

Considering other possibilities does not mean you have to question something for your "entire life."

Please don't tell me you're basing this off of the flawed dating methods?

I suppose you think the universe is literally 6000 years old?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Why is he so wrathful at not being obeyed?

Just because human beings teach that God becomes wrathful at not being obeyed , it doesn't make it true. There are many Chrisitans, Jews, and Muslims who do not believe the teachings of God's demand for obedience "or else" are true. People make that up so they can manipulate other people with fear. It's a very effective tool, wouldn't you agree?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    BTW, I am not one that believes man was created a mere 6000 years ago...that sir is a straw man. Many Christians do not ascribe to this...

Many Christians do believe that, so I don't think it's a straw man. When do you think man was created? When do you think the flood of Noah's day happened? BTW, generally the only people that try and fight science with regards to dating methods are the young earth creationists that believe the universe is 6000 years old.

• middleman
    middleman

"I suppose you think the universe is literally 6000 years old?"

No I do not...

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    If man can split and fuse atoms and effectively destroy all life on earth, why can't other beings, who may be much more powerful than human beings mess with the earth and cause things like earthquakes?

I have to admit, I don't think I've ever heard anyone express this line of thinking before.

We know why earthquakes happen. It is an entirely natural process, a result of the earth having an active, molten core. So the possibility you present seems highly unlikely, to say the least.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit