My wounds opened up badly today

by Maddie 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Maddie
    Maddie

The past three weeks having been so stressful and very sad. My ex husband died after being in hospital for just over a week in intensive care.

I was just 18 and he was 21 when we first met and after a whirlwind romance we married 6 months later and have two sons together who are now adults. Although our marriage ended after 25 years and I remarried 7 years ago, he was my first love and I knew him for most of my life. His sister and I have always been and still are very close. My youngest son is 23 which is very young to lose his dad and it breaks my heart to see and feel his sadness.

My oldest son is a JW, married to a JW and they have a 22 month old daughter ( my only grand child). I have not been allowed any contact for a year now as they have shut me out of their lives completely since I told them some truths about the WT and stopped going to the KH. I have not been DF'd or officially DA'd but my son and DIL treat me the same anyway. My grand-daughter doesn't know me now as she was under 1 year old when I stopped seeing her.

I have been coping well with the situation since finding strength, peace and hope again in Christianity. However, the funeral for my ex husband was held this morning and I feel a traumatised.

My ex didn't have a partner when he died, so my JW son was arranging everything for the funeral, which would be a Humanist one as he wasn't religious. My son contacted me to ask for some help which I was very glad to give as I wanted to be able to contribute as much as I could. My husband is a wonderful man and said he would help too.

It was three weeks until a date for the funeral could be set, as there had to be an autopsy first before the death certificate was released. During these weeks we have been talking to my son over the telephone and although it has been quite business-like, it has been quite pleasant just to talk with him and he seemed to be quite friendly.

Yesterday ( day before the funeral), my husband had arranged to go over to my son's home to give him the cards that we had made as a tribute to his dad for everyone at the funeral to have. When he got there my son let him in ok, then presented my husband with two big bags of toys and other things that we had given to my grand-daughter previously and said that it wasn't appropriate for her to keep them. It felt like a stab in the back and rejection all over again, opened up the wounds and hurts very much.

At the funeral reception today my son and dil brought their little girl and she has grown so much since I last saw her, running around and so beautiful but she doesn't know who I am any more. Neither of them came near me or my husband or spoke to us but it was seeing my grand-daughter that upset me the most. I kept quiet because the sad occasion and for the sake of my youngest son and the family but it was the hardest thing I have done for a very long time.

My intuition tells me that my DIL is the force behind the way things are because she is controlling to the extreme, vengeful and terrified that my son will be influenced by me and others in the family to leave the WT. I say this because I have a pretty good idea how her mind works - even before all this she would go out of her way to make sure she was always present when I was with my son and make excuses to limit our getting together. Also I toldher she was controlling once when I was on the phone to my son and she snatched it off him. I believe her be resentful because I let her know I have got her measure and can stand up to her.

Maddie

• snowbird
    snowbird

Maddie, I am so sorry. I can only imagine your pain.

Please know that you are loved and are valued by the members of this board.

Perhaps your son will soon stand up to his wife and do the right thing.

I pray and hope that he will.

Sylvia

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Maddie,

I'm so sorry.

-LWT

• dinah
    dinah

I'm sorry, Maddie.

Dealing with death and shunning at the same time. Bless your heart.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Oh my my my.

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so sorry for the pain, all the pain.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Maddie, you are in my heart and prayers. My ex-husband almost died and when I saw him near death, I just cried and cried. In part for what was and in part for our son. Fortunately, he pulled through, although his health is very, very poor. So I kinda understand a little of what you are feeling.

Regarding the granddaughter, my parents did basically the same thing. I grew up without grandparents. When I grew up and left the JWs, the first people I sought out were my grandparents. They shared their pain with me at being separated and marginalized just because they were "worldly." It made me view my parents very differently. If I were you, I'd keep all of those toys in storage with a note about when they were given back to you. If you don't reconcile with your son while your granddaughter is still young, it will be good for her to see "evidence" when she's grown that you didn't reject her but, rather, that her parents rejected you. You might even want to keep a little journal of your thoughts every year on her birthday, etc., to give her someday. I know that kind of thing really helped me once I finally got to sit down and talk with my grandma.

St. Ann

• journey-on
    journey-on

So very sorry, Maddie. This religion is vile through and through yet they appear as angels of light. It is so painful to see loved ones blinded by this evil thinking, all the while thinking it is a mandate from our Eternal Father. I believe that most, in time, will live to regret the wedges they put between family. Your granddaughter may seek you out in time, and you may yet have a relationship with her. Till then...

Write her letters now telling her how much you love her and miss her. Just file them away in box with her name on it and someday....well, who knows?

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

i'm so sorry...

is there any chance your younger son could talk to the older one? if you are not dfed or anything he is taking things to the extreme and although i don't know them it sounds like your daughter inn law is the force behind it they can be powerful things!

have you tried writing or anything?

sometimes its easy for me to think i am the only one with a brain washed family then i hear storys like yours and realise its the in the whole dub kingdom the world over...what gets me is why can't they see it?

(((((((hugs))))))))

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Awe Maddie I'm so sorry

nj

• Scott77
    Scott77

Maddie,

I read this story of yours with sadness and bewilderment. Shunning has been extensively missapplied by the WTS in particular and the congregations in general. Iam sorry to see how your older son and his wife treats you. The acccount is profoundly disturbing and points to an anti-family atmophere among JW families under the tacit support of the WTS. Does not the Bible itself teaches that children should remember their parents and repay them back for the upbringing? At a time when your family is painfully grieving for the death of your beloved Ex-hubby, your son shamelessly goes to a great extent to overlook you even deny you opportunity to see your grad child. That's to me, very disturbing to say the least. Please,be assured that many of us here on this board will give you the love you badly need and the encouragement to bear up with this sad situation. Please, encourage your present hubby to read this board and see how Ex-JWs on this site are reacting to this. I thank him for being so nice to you in every step of the way.

Best wishes and kind regards.

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit