Crazy doctrines of Jw's

by AK - Jeff 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

What is amazing is they will reference verses from all over the bible to justify their beliefs, many make no sense in context, some make no sense, even out of context, but I will watch my wife just nod her head and seem so amazed about how 'it is all in the bible'

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

ISOT, so true.
    The quoted scripture mentions a "faithful and discreet slave" so whatever the paragraph in the Watchtower says about the meaning of it, it's in the Bible.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Who cares about the JW doctrines?! What does the bible say?

Revelation 20:4-6 (New International Version)

4 I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony for Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or his image and had not received his mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy are those who have part in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

So there are two resurrections. Looks like the first one is good (v6). When is the second resurrection? Looks like 1000 years later (v5). OK let's see

Revelation 20:7-15 (New International Version)

Satan's Doom
    7 When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison 8 and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore. 9 They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God's people, the city he loves. But fire came down from heaven and devoured them. 10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
    The Dead Are Judged
    11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire. Yep, 1000 years after the first. Looks bad for those not in the book of life :( Let's double check
    John 5:28-29 (New International Version)

28 "Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29 and come out—those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned.

Acts 24:15 (New International Version)

15 and I have the same hope in God as these men, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.

Same deal. Does that last verse ring true with the WT teaching?!

All the best,

Stephen

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I must respect your voracity Chalam. Your superjacent views of Christianity and the Bible are interesting, if generally not particularly compelling.

I mention the JW doctrines, because, well, this is a discussion forum about Jehovah's Witnesses....... not to say, as your point well makes, that all Christians have some pretty goofy ideas of course - including that guy that wrote Revelation.

Jeff

• Waffles
    Waffles

Insearchoftruth summed it up perfectly.

You can be a total bastard for your entire life - rape, steal, kill, pass gas and blame it on others repeatedly, never tip the waitress, abuse children, do more drugs than the Rolling Stones, and kick the elderly as a hobby - then die the day before Armagedom comes and be guaranteed a resurrection and another 1,000 years of life minimum.

On the other hand you can be a contributing member of society - raise a decent moral family, volunteer your time to help others in need, obey the law, show genuine concern for your fellow man, etc - but if you do not accept a magazine from some weirdo knocking at your door on some inane topic like "The Beauty of Antelopes" or "Why God Hates Birthdays" and become a Jehovah's Witness that spends every spare moment of time reading Watchtower Society literature and knocking on doors then you will unfailingly be put to death at Armagedon.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    pass gas and blame it on others repeatedly

Shameful...just shameful!!! lol

This explains why they rejoice when a df'd person dies! At least now he has a chance of resurrection. We had a good friend pass away recently who had been df'd for 25 years. He was a good man and would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. His worldly friends cried over his loss. The two or three JW family members there never shed a tear over the loss of this good man. It made me sad that they can't even feel normal emotions.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I had a discussion with a born-again in service one Saturday whose argument was equally illogical.

I said to him, "Let me get this straight. If you take out a gun right now, shoot and murder me and my companion in cold blood, you will go to heaven. But I will go to hell because I am not "saved"?"

He said, "Right. I know it doesn't sound like it makes any sense, but I didn't make the rules."

There will be born-agains who say he doesn't have it right, some probably right here on this board.

Nobody seems to be in agreement of what exactly "God" requires to gain eternal life. IMHO.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I must respect your voracity Chalam. Your superjacent views of Christianity and the Bible are interesting, if generally not particularly compelling.

Thanks Jeff. I think there is a compliment in there :)

I mention the JW doctrines, because, well, this is a discussion forum about Jehovah's Witnesses....... not to say, as your point well makes, that all Christians have some pretty goofy ideas of course - including that guy that wrote Revelation.

Yes, sorry that was not meant to be rude. I just find it ironic how many here know that the WT lie about so much but then proceed to use their doctrines as if they represent the biblical truth and the real God and one true faith!

The jury is out on Revelation. If we are all still lying in the grave after an eternity "conscious of nothing" as the WT teach then I will humbly accept your "I told you so" ;)

BTW Have you noted yet that this doctrine of theirs is totally contrary to the simple statements in John 5:28-29 and Acts 24:15 I posted above?

All the best,

Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Dagney,

I had a discussion with a born-again in service one Saturday whose argument was equally illogical.

I said to him, "Let me get this straight. If you take out a gun right now, shoot and murder me and my companion in cold blood, you will go to heaven. But I will go to hell because I am not "saved"?"

Jesus says we are equally guilty of murder as charged.

Matthew 5:21-22 (New International Version)

Murder
    21 "You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.

Mark 7:20-22 (New International Version)

20 He went on: "What comes out of a man is what makes him 'unclean.' 21 For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, 22 greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly.

Here is what the bible says about murderers who have not paid their debt to the "society" of the Kingdom of Heaven.

Revelation 21:8 (New International Version)

8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

Revelation 22:14-15 (New International Version)

14 "Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. 15 Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

Here is what Jesus did for murderers, one and all

1 Peter 3:18 (New International Version)

18 For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God.

But salvation is a free gift for those who choose to take it

Ephesians 2:8 (New International Version)

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God

All the best,

Stephen

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

BTW Have you noted yet that this doctrine of theirs is totally contrary to the simple statements in John 5:28-29 and Acts 24:15 I posted above?

Yep. Of course they have it all wrong. I do believe that it is quite likely that all other religions have it all wrong also. Especially those who rely on any particular HolyWrit of ancient times.

I believe that something much larger than myself is out there... somewhere.... in some form. But I have no idea what, and doubt that whatever is out there gives two shekels about me.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit