Were you afraid to go to a bar?

by rebel8 47 Replies latest social relationships

• mraimondi
    mraimondi

nope, went to bars all the time as a witness, in a band. no problem. At least i got to see how boring and useless they were from that perspective.

Now, "even" the "worldly" friends i have mostly think bars are a waste of time.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I started going to bars when I was 14. I looked a lot older than I was. Joining the JWs didn't keep me out of bars either. Now I rarely go.

W

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I have always looked for an excuse to frequent bars. Used to only be on vacation, wandering on boardwalk or hotel bar. But now I don't need an excuse, love bars with live bands late at night!

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I was, still am sort of. Co-workers did get me to go years ago. I don't care for the scene though. Too much smoke and people acting stupid because they have no clue when to stop drinking. That being said there are exceptions I know.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

As long as there is a Brass Pole and Strippers at the Bar,I know I`m safe!!.....................................................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

LOL.. I worked as a bartender briefly when I was doing restaurant work many years ago, and I was a JW then.

It was a fairly classy joint, no one seemed to care except my mom, so I didn't tell her.

I made good tips, fun job.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Actually it is agaist state law for me to go into a bar, so i can't. I will have hell to pay.

Conviction????????

• pancakes*
    pancakes*

I frequently went to bars as a dub, mostly to see bands. Nobody really told us we couldn't go although it wasn't exactly encouraged.

Except when I moved to this town which only had 3 different bars and the elders gave a local needs part specifically saying the name of a certain tav that witnesses were not allowed to go to. It was hard because that was the only place where bands played and it's not like you could go secretely because being a small town witnesses really had a way of finding out everything!

As I started to fade I started going there and I couldn't see why it was so bad.

Nightclubs, now theyre a different story. Theyre horrible...

• monophonic
    monophonic

fortunately i live(d) in a big city and went to concerts and shows all the time at bars when i was a teen and beyond while still in the jws. elders on my ass whenever they found out....now all the so-called 'cool' jws try and go to shows.

since they've shunned me, and i'm in the music business...and they went to a show i was at, a band i introduced them to, i laid down the law that since they're shunning me they can't attend any band i turned them onto and to go back to their madonna concerts. :)

my only experience was when i turned 21 and went to a 21 and over show in the city, the bartenders and bouncers were really nice....quite a comparison to the all ages, thug bouncer shows.

then whenever i hit a bar in the 'burbs, the atmosphere was pathetic and red neck.

don't get me wrong, the first step in some bars in my 'hood yield, who the eff are you?, looks, but when they find out, the friendly world opens up.

bars outside of big cities, i've heard there's a stigma about them. i guess i should get out to the 'burbs more often.

oh, i took a bunch of jws from the kh i was in (and an MS at the time) to a dance night at a bar...they had a local needs talk the next week....i didn't take jws again.

• blondie
    blondie

Not all bars are the same. I grew up going to bars with my family...it was one of those family things in this area. Sometimes it is the only place we can find a little food, some of the best burgers and a nice beer to go with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit